Is strength training 2x a week enough to build muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, let me get this straight. For a person who wants to burn fat and is doing progressive cardio 4-5 or even 6 days a week won't be able to build new muscle because I'm always in negative calories at the end of the day?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, let me get this straight. For a person who wants to burn fat and is doing progressive cardio 4-5 or even 6 days a week won't be able to build new muscle because I'm always in negative calories at the end of the day?
    Correct. How do you build new tissue without adding mass? Adding mass means adding weight. Adding weight means the calories need to be in surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    yeah make sure you eat enough if you are doing a ton of cardio. i circuit train so there is cardio spurts mixed into my routine but i make sure i eat at my TDEE & o eat my exercise cals back. Actually i often go slightly over, now that i am not doing purely cardio anymore ( i was a cardio junkie for a while. i have to say that i definitely see better results with the weights)

Since it has only been a few months i am a beginner & have had very good results with a full body routine 3 x's a week. Eventually i will switch to a different program but this has been good for me right now. but lately i have slacked off to only about twice a week (and last week only once). My muscle definition is still better than when i wasn't doing any strength training, but i can tell that i have better results with 3 x's a week so i am going to get back to that.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    If you wanna build muscle stop running....let the flames begin

But I love running :( I dont wana be hulk, I just want a little definition.

I run a lot and do mostly bodyweight exercises and I am getting definiton OK. It's mainly about fat loss to be honest.
  • grantdumas7
    Options

You will never be hulk by running 6 days per. week. Not even if you consumed 3000 calories.
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Others have said close to similar, but let me bottom line it.

Running and strength training are not inconsistent activities. But, muscle mass gains and significant caloric deficits are inconsistent. Running often leads to significant caloric deficits thus people often incorrectly assume you can't build muscle and run. The real answer is taking a real hard look at your diet, and then shaping it to your training requirements. Plenty of runners do significant strength training.

Lastly as you know from running, up to a certain point of diminishing return, the more you do the "better" you get. No different with strength training. But, if someone had asked you if running twice a week would be beneficial you would certainly say yes -- but you would also likely tell them that their progress both in speed and endurance will be limited by the amount of time they put in.

Thus, If you are interested in strength training ideally 3X per week would be minimum best -- but two is better than none.

Lastly, if you stick with two -- you might consider focusing on upper body and core to start.
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I run a lot and do mostly bodyweight exercises and I am getting definiton OK. It's mainly about fat loss to be honest.

Exactly what I was wondering, thank you! I guess i worded my question wrong... I shouldve said toning? But yes... I'm only doing body weight and don;t plan to do more than that.
  • LydsVille77
    Options

You will never be hulk by running 6 days per. week. Not even if you consumed 3000 calories.

Exactly... i said i did not want to be hulk by not running and only lifting.
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Messaged you!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    If you "need to build muscle" like your OP states then sprint instead of run

sprintervsrunner.bmp
    runner-sprinter-body-comparison1-300x201.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

You don't have to stop running you just need to find a balance. I love running and lifting so I do both. I've built a lot of muscle over the past months.

I run cross-country long-distance on the weekend, do HIIT during the week AND lift heavy 2-3 times a week. I have increased my lean mass slowly over time and continue to increase my weights with no problems. Lifting heavy has actually IMPROVED my running pace. Make sure you are getting enough protein, though.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

sprintervsrunner.bmp

Nice job posting extreme examples. I don't think OP is operating at the ultra-professional level, though. As long as she eats enough calories, gets her protein in, and does strength training, running will not "eat" her muscles. :laugh:

Here's my example: My husband was in the Marines. He ran a crap ton of miles each week and somehow managed to build and maintain a gorgeous muscled physique. (And he certainly wasn't the only one...) :love:
  • LydsVille77
    Options

sprintervsrunner.bmp

Nice job posting extreme examples. I don't think OP is operating at the ultra-professional level, though. As long as she eats enough calories, gets her protein in, and does strength training, running will not "eat" her muscles. :laugh:

Here's my example: My husband was in the Marines. He ran a crap ton of miles each week and somehow managed to build and maintain a gorgeous muscled physique. (And he certainly wasn't the only one...) :love:

Bwahaha! Definitely not at this level. I run to center myself, do races for fun (and to beat my own records) and stay active daily to be healthy... and so I can enjoy beer on the weekends :) I'm about balance.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    As long as she eats enough calories, gets her protein in, and does strength training, running will not "eat" her muscles. :laugh:

Strength coaches and bodybuilding coaches who actually do this for a living would disagree with you, but what do they know.
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Others have said close to similar, but let me bottom line it.

Running and strength training are not inconsistent activities. But, muscle mass gains and significant caloric deficits are inconsistent. Running often leads to significant caloric deficits thus people often incorrectly assume you can't build muscle and run. The real answer is taking a real hard look at your diet, and then shaping it to your training requirements. Plenty of runners do significant strength training.

Lastly as you know from running, up to a certain point of diminishing return, the more you do the "better" you get. No different with strength training. But, if someone had asked you if running twice a week would be beneficial you would certainly say yes -- but you would also likely tell them that their progress both in speed and endurance will be limited by the amount of time they put in.

Thus, If you are interested in strength training ideally 3X per week would be minimum best -- but two is better than none.

Lastly, if you stick with two -- you might consider focusing on upper body and core to start.

Definitely this ^^^^
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

No.

What she said!
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Running for distance in itself will not build muscle; however sprinting can help.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Do you want to increase strength? Or build muscle?

Full body 3x a week will increase strength, but you will need a calorie surplus to build muscle.

^^^This

I personally do a 3 or 4 day split, but I am eating at maintenance and trying to basically maintain strength now with minimal gains (for the summer bikini season). I have been doing this for 5 months now at this rate and my measurements have stayed the same. I know if I want to start building more muscle I'll have to bulk. That's just the way it goes.

Also running that much will basically kill the gains you do make, if you make any.
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    You need to go 3-5 times a week. If you keep running as much as you do and eating the same you are not going to build anything. You will tone what you have a little bit but if you don't have any lean muscle mass there is nothing to tone. I know you don't want to cut back on your running because that is what you love so you will end up needing to eat more CLEAN foods. YOU WILL NOT BULK UP!. It takes ALOT for a girl to gain that kind of muscle. We are not build for it naturally so it takes alot of work to get us there. I have been lifting for a year and lifting and eating to gain bulk for 3 months and I love the muscles I have. When I am lifting and flexing they look nice and big but when I walk around in non gym mode I just look shapely and toned. If your on Instagram check my pics at jennieronchetti to get an idea of what I mean.