BMR Calculators - SO FRUSTRATED!

Options
Has anyone else tried different BMR calculators online to see your BMR? I went to 8 different sites and half said mine was around 1400 and the other half said it was around 1700. That's 300 calories difference! I did a body composition test and it says my BMR is 1404, so I'm so annoyed that I'm getting all these different results.

I'm 31, 5'4", 148 lbs, and a woman, so MFP says my BMR is 1375, but I do have a good amount of muscle, so that's why the body comp says 1404.

I know I should go by what the body composition says, because it actually read my body fat/muscle, etc...but seriously. Since I'm getting these 1700 numbers elsewhere, who's to say which one is right? I'm doing Insanity right now, so I want to make sure I'm eating ENOUGH since that workout is, well... INSANE! Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It can be so frustrating when you are getting different numbers. I would just choose the average of all the numbers you get and eat that many calories and see how you feel. If you feel like you are starving, then add in a extra snack.

HTH.
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Though I didn't do a body composition I do have a 300 calorie difference 1400-1700. It is very annoying I must say.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    i did and get 2 different results either close to the one on here and others was 100 cals more.
    i tried finding out my body fat to find there was loads of different ways giving different results,went with the one the navy use in the end. one said i had 70% body fat....confusing and annoying all these different methods.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    So base your daily goals on the highest number and see if you get results over the next month. If you don't, then lower your daily calorie intake by 100-200 and try again. It is definitely not an exact science and you have to experiment a bit to see where you are. Oh, and BMR and TDEE do seem to move over time. So there's that. Simply do the best you can.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am 30, 5'4', 144 lbs. I have lost about 39 lbs so far (this time around). I just started Insanity on Monday. (I have done Insanity before, but it has been a year since I did it.)

I average 1500 calories/day- some days are lower (1200ish) and other days are higher (1700ish).. with occasional really high days.

Everyone is different, but I just randomly selected a number that was mid range of all the estimates and went with it. It seems to be working so far. :-)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    the body composition one is the best guess.

BMR calcs are just a guess. just start eating a number your happy with, say 1400-1500 before exercise and watch the scale for weight loss or gain. if things are going to plan, say 1lb is your weekly goal then you know you are on track when you consistently loose 1lb.

its really not a big deal. I'd say the 1700 is too high. go with the body comp.