Protein Shakes

Options
Every trainer says different, some agree that girls should take a protein shake and others say it's not necessary. Is there any harm in taking a shake?

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Men and women's bodies are the same....you need to find a trainer that actually understands what they are talking about I think. :sad: :noway:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. If you're having trouble meeting your protein goal for the day with food alone, then have a shake if you want to. Otherwise, it's not necessary.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    proteins derives from vegetables like rice, pea, etc. are incomplete proteins vs. whole sources like whey and dairy are the only real differences for shakes... if you hit your protein macro through food like chicken, eggs, beef, pork. emu, lizard, gator, etc. there is no need for protein supplementation.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Protein is necessary.

Protein shakes are not.

The only reasons I can see to use protein shakes are :

A. You have trouble meeting your calorie goals while getting protein from other sources (because of attendant additional fat and carb calories).
    B. You have such a high protein requirement that eating that much dietary protein is burdensome.
    C. You just like them.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Excessive protein can stress kidneys and lead to kidney complications and damage. Don't overdo and drink plenty of water ... best advice is probably visit with your Medical Doctor about your particular circumstances.
  • mannyfresh79
    Options
    When I first started taking "protein shakes" it was to bulk up. I would get stomach bloating and sometimes even indigestion. I started taking them again recently and the same issues arised. I even have the same issues with things like "muscle milk" and other brands. Btw, I never "bulked-up".

Fed up with all these "protein shakes", I decided to make my own. Now I make a shake every morning and I take it right after working out. It is my breakfast. I don't normally eat breakfast so the shakes were a good way for me to keep my calorie count in check! It includes some fruit, peanut butter, oats and some other things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you can make it yourself, I would highly recommend it. I use mine as a meal replacement (~600 calories). If you're afraid of supplementing, start with replacing and see how it affects you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. If you're having trouble meeting your protein goal for the day with food alone, then have a shake if you want to. Otherwise, it's not necessary.
    bingo.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i'm definitely an Option C - I just like them. Love them, even.

Fed up with all these "protein shakes", I decided to make my own. Now I make a shake every morning and I take it right after working out.

recipe? always interested.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them. I was a skinny blonde girl before I started taking protein shakes. I wish someone had warned me. NOW I'LL NEVER GET A DATE FOR PROM
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This. I'd also say be cautious when listening to nutrition advice from personal trainers.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them. I was a skinny blonde girl before I started taking protein shakes. I wish someone had warned me. NOW I'LL NEVER GET A DATE FOR PROM

You look a lot better now...I'll be your date!! :wink:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Why you gotta be all reasonable about this?
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

LOL!!! haha!!!
  • Race2the9
    Race2the9 Posts: 77
    Options
    I typically use a protein shake in the morning after my work out as a meal supplement (breakfast.)
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    I need about 200 grams of protien a day. 2 shakes with low fat milk help me achieve that goal. Check out my diary and pics.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I always think it sounds weird when someone uses the phrase 'Taking a protein shake'. lol. Not sure why, it just conjures up images of people sneakily necking protein like they were doing drugs or something...:laugh:
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Wow! That protein shake sure changed you! You were a skinny blonde GIRL before..right..? Look at you now! :tongue:
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always think it sounds weird when someone uses the phrase 'Taking a protein shake'. lol. Not sure why, it just conjures up images of people sneakily necking protein like they were doing drugs or something...:laugh:

Haha hiding in the bathroom stall, downing a protein shake... people tell them they have something on their lip (leftover protein drink) and the person yells back and tells them theres nothing there.... Ya... Protein problems lol
  • emarose90
    emarose90 Posts: 52
    Options
    Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread a bit, but my question is pretty similar and it saves a new thread being made. :flowerforyou:

I often have around 250 cals left, and I also don't hit my protein goal like, ever.. I'm not hungry - I drink around 8 glasses of water per day, maybe more if doing a workout. So generally I'll either leave those cals – which I’d rather not do as I’m trying to hit TDEE – 10% - or satisfy a sweet craving.

So my question is, would I be better of having a protein shake? Or should I just try harder to get more protein in via foods – which I struggle with as I’m full anyway?

Thanks guys! x
  • rainbowtiara
    Options
    I always cramp my legs. What kind of protein I need?