The Wii

Options
SoldierDad
SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
Ok, let me start by saying i am pretty old school when it comes to games. I still have my PS2 and still play my Madden 2005 (lol even though a friend gave me 2009 as a gift). Ok, actually I dont really play games cause of family time/work/ and working out. But we decided to buy my boy a WII for his seventh bday (origionally the trip to Sea World was his early bday present and the WII was gonna be his gift to celebrate the one year anniversarry of me adopting him but I got my wife to change her mind :-) hehehehe). Ok, now I see i am just rambling lol! Ok, I had a question here... What all do i need to get with the WII. It comes with the sports resort, one romote with sensor bar and a nunchuka, The lady at gamestop said I should buy a charging station, and another remote with sensor bar and nunchuka. Does that sound right? Anything else i need? My sis-in-law is buying him the wii fit game and balance board so thats covered. Lol the boy loves fitness. First thing this morning he wanted to run on the treadmill and do p90x. lol ok I am rambling again. Any suggestions on the WII are appreciated. I wanted to buy it tonight.
Love you peeps!
Ed

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I don't have the charging station - but I'd love an update regarding it - I do feel bad with the batteries we go through. Does he like boxing? Get one of the Knock Out games (SO fun). Does he like fun music? Just Dance is great for burning calories, laughing and dancing. And for you - consider EA Sports Active and the upgrade - they're amazing workouts. My legs look amazing as a result. Still working on the arms & belly :wink: And if you have carpet, I'd say pass on Dance Dance Revolution. I don't feel safe doing it because the mat slips ... and I can't find my yoga mat to try to make it stick.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Personally I would wait to see how he likes it and if it would be worth dropping that $. He can do all the games with out it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You don't need a charging station, but rechargeable batteries are good (as long as you already have the charger for them). You will probably want a couple more Wii Motes so everyone can play, but only need 1 sensor bar.
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also do not have the charging station. We use reghargable batteries for the remotes. We have 3 remotes so we change the batteries about once a week. I like the rechargable batteries because we use them for everything in the house. Enjoy the WII your son is gonna love it.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    We don't have a charging station, we just use rechargeable batteries..

Here are the games wii have :laugh:

Wii Game Party
    Wii Hot Wheels
    Wii Monster Jam
    Wii Play
    Wii Active
    Wii Movie Games
    Wii Game Party
    Wii Family Game Night
    WiiFit and WiiFit Plus
    Wii Just Dance

I too have a 7 year old boy, and he loves it, as so does our whole family
    I also suggest buying more Wii Remotes ..so you can all play together.
    And make sure you buy the same number of Nunchucks.
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    Definitely need more than one controller - unless he doesn't want to play against anyone else. There are so many good multi-player games. If he wants to challenge you to boxing you will need two nunchucks as well. How old is he? If he likes racing games the steering wheel is a nice addition. It just holds the standard controller. If Star Wars is his thing, there is also a light saber that hold the remote that makes things "real". Personally, I don't get that but whatever. Have fun with it!!!
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    HI I have the Wii and I Love my PS2 LOL But anyway. I wanted the GH world tour so you know it comes with 1guitar 1drumset 1microphone and we bought the extra guitar so to have a full band. well you have to have 4 remotes to play them all with a group of friends. So luckily friends brought the extra ones. LOL Now I have 3 remotes the rechargeable batteries I feel are a must Save the money from extra batteries twds something else. The Wii Fit an Wii fit Plus is great fun an workouts. Then there is Wii Sports resort your kid will love an the whole family. But here again you have to buy new remote motionsensor. 1 comes with the game. but you will need at least 1 more. But it has some great fun games. Wii active is amazing workouts!!!!! Good Luck!! your son will Love it
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    Not that it helps with fitness, but Rock Band and Beatles Rock Band are the biggest hits at our house. My 8 y/o son knows virtually all the Beatles' songs now and plays guitar and sings on the hardest levels. It is just so wrong!!!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    When we bought our Wii, we just bought an extra Wiimote, Nunchuck, and Game cube controller (you need it if you want to DL some of the classic Nintendo games!). She's totally trying to upsell you on everything else, especially the extra sensor bar and charging station...just use rechargeable batteries, and you'll be set.

We don't have a ton of games (we're mostly a 360 and PS3 household), but I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of Wii sports, Mario Kart, MadWorld, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and a TON of the download-able content!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting at least one other controller/nunchuck if not two. I don't have the charger either. I just buy a big box of batteries from Costco. The wii is a great thing to have and would be a great family activity. They have games like Hasbro Family night. It's really fun and you don't have to worry about losing the game board pieces.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you should have the silicone sleeves that go over the WiiMotes, because it makes them 1000 times less likely to go flying out of your hand. I can't pay anything active with just holding the little plastic Wiimote, and make sure you guys ALWAYS use the wrist strap unless you want one thrown through your TV screen....

As for the charging station, it doesn't work with the sleeves on, so I have to take them off and put them back on every time I want to use it, which got so annoying I barely ever use it anymore.
    So, there are 2 options, sleeves and regular rechargeable batteries...or NO sleeves and a charging station (which works great, it's just a pain....)
    Or both and take them off and on every day like I do...