Need unbiased recommendations for a great workout DVD series

Options
Hi everyone! So I've been losing weight through dieting only but I know I need to add exercise in to kick this into faster gear and also to strengthen my core. I'm 40, I'm not in shape (but not totally out of shape - I walk, ride horses, etc but in no means am I buff), and I have a history of shoulder bursitis.

I tried the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred last time I tried to lose weight and I kind of got bored, and my knees started to hurt.

I am really interested in the Insanity workout for its intensity but I'm worried that so much jumping and push-ups would hurt my shoulder/knees. But i want something fast and fun.

So what do people think? What is your favorite workout DVD that you didn't get bored from and saw results quickly enough that you didn't lose interest? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    is a gym an option? it's going to work a helluva lot better than dvds (the dvds can be fun but they are NOT the way the people in them got in shape) and I don't get bored in the gym.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    is a gym an option? it's going to work a helluva lot better than dvds (the dvds can be fun but they are NOT the way the people in they got in shape) and I don't get bored in the gym.

Exactly this.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say the Jillian DVDs (Ripped in 30, 30 Day Shred, etc) gave them knee pain. You could check out http://www.bodyrock.tv for free online workouts you can try. Youtube also has a variety of workout videos if you search.

Alternately, if you have any gaming platforms, you could look into getting the Xbox Kinect + "Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012/2013" or the "EA Sports Active" series for the Playstation Move. They're interactive and come with several different workouts and mini-games. I played Your Shape 2012 for the Xbox and had fun with it, haven't tried the 2013 version but I'd like to. I've heard good things about EA Sports Active for PS3 but have not tried it. The Wii also has interactive games such as these. I would look on Amazon if you're interested.

Hitting the gym will be more effective, of course, especially with the addition of a good weight training program, but if you want at-home options, you can also search Amazon.com for 'workout dvd' and read the reviews to see if anything sounds appealing. You can definitely improve your fitness level with body weight exercises, but eventually you're going to want to add weight and resistance.

Best of luck!
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Mmh there's nothing wrong with working out at home or workout DVDs, I know a few people who gym and they not really seeing any better results than me, some might even say I'm getting better results then they are.

I think as long you put the work in you will get fit either through the gym or workout DVDs a gym isn't a magical place, you get out what you put in.

I like Jillian Michaels, but I get bored with workout DVDs really quickly so I constantly mix up my workouts. I'd recommend p90 if you low on equipment, I also like HIIT programs. I haven't tried insanity, but I tried turbo jam and hip hop abs and I found both annoying. I tried slim in six that's okay nice for slimming the legs.

I also have a kinect and lol it can be fun not sure how effective it is though.
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too love Jillian's workouts, but had knee and neck pain when doing them. I switched to kickboxing (and lifting weights), and love it!! For kickboxing I use TaeBo PT 24/7. It's a 6-week program with 7 different videos and comes with resistance bands.
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. I think I'll try TaeBo PT 24/7. A gym is a great idea but I just don't have enough time to be away from home that long.
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you think p90 is too hard on shoulders/knees?
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love Hip Hop Abs with Shaun T. he is SOOO funny and the workout flies by. he has other dvd workouts as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Joint freindly ..... Cathe Low Impact Series

http://cathe.com/cathes-low-impact-series

Reviews & video clips for some individual DVDs on collagevideo.com
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I tried 30DS... B-O-R-I-N-G. Now I do the Gold's Gym Sculpt & Burn (got it at Walmart for like $13 - comes with handweights). They have different 15min segments so you can change it up... work out shorter or longer times if you want.

Ive also researched good circuit lists and use a circuit timer APP for my iphone so I can workout while I watch TV. I agree that the gym doesn't magically make you lose weight. If you need to be planted in front of the TV while on your bike or whatever why not? Do whatever you gotta do to make it enjoyable.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have done several DVD series, Insanity, 30 Day Shred, etc. Right now I am doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and it is by far my favorite one I've done so far. It's only 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week. Best of all, there are 12 different workouts and they get progressively harder. So in the beginning the workouts are doable for pretty much anyone, but by the end of the program you're doing some pretty intense stuff! I actually find them fun, which I didn't expect.

Though I do agree that if possible, a gym is a better option than a DVD will ever be. I'm a weight lifter at heart :P I just don't have gym access right now.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    is a gym an option? it's going to work a helluva lot better than dvds (the dvds can be fun but they are NOT the way the people in them got in shape) and I don't get bored in the gym.

I would have to agree with this
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Jillian bores me to tears, so repetitive.
    I do like turbo fire and turbo jam, I also enjoy zumba dvds. I think the music pumping gets you moving and sweating.
    Ill chose these over my elliptical any time.
    (And weight lifting to round out my efforts..no dvd)
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The OP specifically asked for unbiased recommendations. Most of the responses I've seen so far show some kind of bias. That's not what she asked for.
  • boothekm
    boothekm Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    P90X is an extreme workout. I do Tae Bo. My knees are kind of bad even though I'm only 22 from years of basketball training and running suicides. Tae Bo Cardio doesn't hurt my knees and is a wonderful workout.

When I get bored, I mix my routine up with a little outside running/walking or Zumba. Dancing is always fun!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying Les Mills Combat. The 2 that lead it are pretty entertaining. I've read reviews that said they were annoying with the way they sing along to the music sometimes, but it cracks me up.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Gilad. No one ever knows what I'm talking about because I think they are older but he had a show on FitTV that I watched a few years ago while babysitting during the day. I ordered a few DVDs off ebay and I really like them for the few times I want to work out at home. They are pretty basic moves. I have one DVD that is a 45 min workout and one that has 3 twenty minute episodes. I am always sweaty and tired by the time I finish them.
  • ggtischer
    ggtischer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Hip Hop Abs with my daughter. We enjoy them alot! Low impact options for me (ankle, knee & hip issues) and high impact for her (she jumps all over the place). The 1/2 hour work out flys by and we're both sweating heavily by the end.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The OP specifically asked for unbiased recommendations. Most of the responses I've seen so far show some kind of bias. That's not what she asked for.

Huh? How are any of the responses biased? Everyone is telling her which workout DVDs they prefer.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My current weight makes me self-conscious about being in a gym so I am a big fan of exercise dvds. Try going to Collage Video www.collagevideo.com. You can preview the dvds and there are consultants that you can speak to who can make recommendations based on your fitness level, preferences, goals etc. Best of luck to you!