Lack of Energy for Running

Options
I have been trying to lose a few extra pounds and keep with my running training, but I am finding that keeping with my calorie restrictions that allow me to lose weight really affects my energy level when I go out for a run. I have been keeping to about 1400 calories a day and eating back 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories. I have been seeing very conservative weight loss (1-2 lbs a week) which is perfect, but I have no gas when I'm out for a run. I have tried to increase my calories a bit more on the day before I run to try to fuel up, but it doesn't seem to work. I have 8 lbs to go, to get to my goal which is not very low (5'6", 130 lbs, female). I would love any advice someone may have who has been in the same situation. Thanks!

Replies

• djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Move some of the calories you "eat back" to right before you run. I find that taking in carbohydrates ~30min to 1 hour before my run gives me that extra energy I need. Good luck!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping to about 1400 calories a day and eating back 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories. I have been seeing very conservative weight loss (1-2 lbs a week) which is perfect, but I have no gas when I'm out for a run. I have tried to increase my calories a bit more on the day before I run to try to fuel up, but it doesn't seem to work. I have 8 lbs to go, to get to my goal which is not very low (5'6", 130 lbs, female). I would love any advice someone may have who has been in the same situation. Thanks!

Change your goal to just a half to 1 pound a week at the most. 2 pounds a week isn't conservative at all. That's actually pretty aggressive. If you want fuel for your running you need to eat well or you're going to have problems with recovery.

What's your running schedule like? How much are you running each week? Are you taking rest days for recovery?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Move some of the calories you "eat back" to right before you run. I find that taking in carbohydrates ~30min to 1 hour before my run gives me that extra energy I need. Good luck!

^This is good advice.

Also, with only 8 lbs to lose, you should be losing more like 1/2 a pound weekly... increase your calories to slow down the loss and you'll have more fuel for running. You're just hungry.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If you only have 8 pounds to goal, set your calorie deficit to lose half a pound a week, and make sure you eat back your exercise calories and aren't cutting carbs too low. Yup, it will slow things down. Yup, you will still lose the weight. And have enough energy to run.

It took me a few weeks to set my calories to the correct level so that I lost only half a pound a week, but once I figured it out, it worked well--set a 13-minute PR for my half marathon earlier this month, and a couple of days ago ran my fastest mile ever. Without ever feeling hungry.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping to about 1400 calories a day and eating back 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories
    you have to know what 90% of the responses are going to be when you post a question topic like this so i'm assuming you just want confirmation before you do what every logical impulse in your body is telling you to do.

CONFIRMED. go ahead and do what you already know you need to do.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I tried it too and just couldn't do it. I actually went to http://scoobysworkshop.com/ and figured out my TDEE-20% and changed my caloric intake (increased by 300) and had energy and have lost weight--slowly but it's still losing. I almost always eat back my calories and am rarely more than 200 off.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat some of those shot blocks or honey stinger chews.
  • laureleberl1
    laureleberl1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try to up my calories a bit until I can feel my energy coming back. And try to up my carbs.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week isn't conservative, especially for someone close to her goal. Try having a cup of coffee a half hour before you run.