What to do when you're STARVING?

Options
I understand it sounds like a stupid question. But yesterday was the first day I felt absolutely starved (just check my diary, ugh!) and I feel horrible about having indulged - not to mention it wasn't the healthiest food choice either. What do guys normally do to curb your appetite? Drink a lot of water, or munch on something?

Side note: I'm not looking for a "eat vegetables, they're low calorie" type of answer...all I really eat all day is salads with protein and I can't bear to eat any more!

Also if you do happen to look at my diary, it says every day or so I still have 800+ calories to eat, but the way I have it set up is so I don't eat exercise calories back.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Given you have many days where you have 700-1000 calories left over, and are only set to 1300 to begin, common sense would suggest that maybe you should eat if you are hungry ? It is counterproductive to be having such huge deficits and will most likely set you up for either a massive binge eventually, or a point where you will find yourself too weak to keep up such workouts.
    Your deficit is already built in, at 1300, you do not need to leave your exercise calories uneaten.
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The answer is simple, EAT! If your body is actually hungry then eat. Make it high in protein though. Try drinking a glass of water and if 10-20 min later you are still actually hungry, then eat something.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I only looked at the last few days and you eat very low calorie (besides yesterday which still wasn't wasn't that high - just not the best nutritionally, but it happens) and you burn a lot of calories and you don't eat them back? My suggestion is to eat more and then you won't get so many cravings. Your body is asking for fuel, that's why you are starving. How did you come up with your calorie goal? A quick and easy method s your body weight x 12 to 13 to lose. As far curbing my appetite, usually sugarless gum does the trick.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hot tea? I have a variety of flavored teas just in case I get "mouth hungry".
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I found just a simple 5 calorie piece of gum helps curb a appetite
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You have 846 calories remaining today. Eat something. Your options are pretty wide open with that many calories. Screw the veggies you could have a cheeseburger - or you know something healthier that's not a veggie.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m231a5RxM61qelujk.gif
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I eat.
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would just eat more.

You can eat calorie dense foods such as nuts and medjool dates.

I would switch to good carbs with your meals such as sweet potatoes and yams fill you up! They are dense and rich in vitamins and I find that i keep fuller for longer when I eat them.

If your still hungry, increase your protein intake to around 200g and see how you feel.

Good luck! x
  • gabrielle_eliza
    Options
    I just posted this on another forum but here is why I am confused at what to do:

I want to lose two pounds a week. That's a 7000 calories a week deficit.
    My BMR + daily exercise is about 2400.
    So, I only eat 1300-1400 a day to create this deficit.
    How will increasing how much I eat not hinder my weight loss?

Also thanks to everyone for the replies! I definitely want to try quinoa and yams!

7590118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree, with so many calories still available your body could actually kick into a higher gear if you ate something and used some more of those up, doesn't have to be all of them, go for lean proteins or low GI foods that will help you feel full. But if you are really hungry and know it's not thirst or boredom and have those excess calories to use up listen to your body and eat something, even if it's just 300 cals of that leftover, it will help your metabolism too.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Fat is not the devil. I put real cream in my coffee and it does wonders for keeping my appetite in check. Also an ounce of really good cheese for a snack, every day that I have it in the house. (Which unfortunately I don't, this week.)
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, if you're that hungry, eat more.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't ever get to that point that I'm STARVING, because I fuel my body properly and eat several meals and snacks each day. Healthy living isn't about restriction, it's about fueling your body with what it NEEDS. Start eating back some of those exercise cals and don't let yourself get to the point where you are STARVING! I've maintained my 70-lb weight loss for over 20 years, so I know what I'm talking about!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and EAT...I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You are spending a lot of time on cardio machines for someone who eats so little. You need to fuel those workouts to stay sane and to lose weight. Have a look at the useful sticky threads in the main forum--they will answer a lot of your questions.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Eat peanut butter. yum yum.
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question about losing 2lbs a week as a goal, are you reaching that with what you are currently doing (not sure how long you have been going) I have been on a 1200 cal a day limit since January 4th 2013, am just under 30lbs gone now and can't do much exercise due to chronic pain from a severe back injury. I have an app that has averaged out my weight loss at 1.4lbs a week which I am pretty happy with. I was originally aiming for 2lbs a week loss but as some weeks I would lose that but others not, it has balanced out as less. I guess my question is whether you are achieving that and if it's a realistic goal (not wanting to put you off) Maybe try upping your calories and see what happens say over a 2 week period. The weeks where I have eaten more than I normally do (I sometimes don't even use my 1200 a day as not hungry) I seem to actually lose more. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Never had this problem with my caloric restraints although when one is starving I would suggest you simply eat. Problem solved.