A odd question about baby weight..

Options
Elicur
Elicur Posts: 78 Member
Hi all..

I gained 8 pounds with my second child, although I was about 20 pounds overweight pre pregnancy at 165.5 ( I'm 5'5 tall ) My son was 6lbs, 3 oz and two days after getting out of the hospital I was 165.0.
My question is.. when you calculate how much weight you've lost since your pregnancy, do you include what you lost in hospital and by birth? Or just what you weighed a few weeks/days after delivery. Everyone has a different answer. Thanks!

Replies

• rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I waited two weeks and went with that weight. That enough time for most of the water weight to go away.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think I always included what I lost from my highest weight (like when I went in to give birth).
  • Kellihulst
    Kellihulst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just started from my highest weight right before birth. I don't think there is right or wrong answer though.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't think I weighed myself until about 2 weeks after delivery, but I considered my baby weight to be anything above what I weighed when I got pregnant.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't count it at all. Weightloss-wise I just skip over that time period.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you want. My highest weight was 265 when pregnant, but I didn't start counting until a year later. I would have started at pre-pregnancy weight if I hadn't gained some back after reaching it.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Just go with the 165.0, sounds like a good starting weight to me since you didn't gain too much :)

My mom started with her highest, she lost 15 some pounds giving birth and my sister was only 8lbs 7.1oz. She's lost 30lbs so far (all her pregnancy weight) from her highest but still has another 50lbs to go to a healthy weight. It's harder for her though and she struggles since she has lots of chronic pain, my sister was born in Dec 2010. She'll get there eventually though :)
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I include everything..

My first daughter I gained 60 pounds..all the way up to 210 (150 to start with)

My second daughter I was 128 (gained 30 pounds) so 158

Now she is 20 mos old... 126 =) Happy to be healthy again!
  • Elicur
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm still unsure what to do. My boyfriend said I should go by what I weighed after the birth, but also said anything he would suggest he'd get yelled at anyway.
    I'm not even sure if it's harder to lose 8lbs of baby, afterbirth and what not than fat. But then again, I had small babies and VERY quick deliveries :D
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I waited two weeks and went with that weight. That enough time for most of the water weight to go away.

This.
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't go with pre-birth weight because I'd feel like I was cheating. (Not judging anyone, btw, just stating how I would feel about myself.) I'd go with highest post-birth weight, most likely a few days after giving birth.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I waited two weeks after her birth
  • Elicur
    Options
    Alright!
    I stayed 165.0 for quite some time after leaving the hospital, mainly due to all the Christmas chocolates laying around the house and increase fluid for breastfeeding. So I think I'll stick with the afterbirth weight :) Thanks everyone!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I went with what my weight stabilized at after birth. I gained 100lbs with my first and lost 60 over the first few weeks, but the 40 lasted while nursing (got preggo again, gained 15, lost that right after)... so I was stalled for a long time with that extra 40 will I got through with breastfeeding...

I just started from there since the rest just happened without any real attention to diet and nutition.

So I have lost 44 since then... but 104 from my highest preggo weight.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my starting weight is what i weighed several weeks after birth. bc then i was measuring what was all me. i stayed that weight for 9 mo. then i started losing a lb here or there. it wasnt until i started trying to lose on purpose that 10 lbs flew off.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think I always included what I lost from my highest weight (like when I went in to give birth).

Same
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The 165 sounds like a good number.

Sorry I don't have much to go on. I weighed less after birth than before my pre-pregnancy weight. That may sound great, but I think I'd have preferred to gained a few pounds rather than be sick for 6+ months.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just counted what I was the day I got serious about my baby weight, and then factored in my goal weight. Since I wanted to lose more than what I had weighed before, it came out to 25 lbs. I didn't include the pregnancy weight, the weight I had lost immediately after, etc. because I wanted to be held accountable for what I can achieve with healthy eating and exercise. That's just my personal preference.
  • Elicur
    Options
    To Jennisin1 -Sounds just like me.. I only just lost the baby weight from my daughter ( born in January , 2012) when finding out I was pregnant again in April..
    I was super strict with myself with #2! hah
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This, I only lost ten pounds one month after that (six weeks postpartum )and stayed that weight for another five months... then I started here and have lost my baby weight and my marriage weight (30lbs all together) since January...