Why is 1600=2200?

Options
I have about 100 pounds to lose. I've been dieting for several months, losing weight gradually but then I plateaued.

After not loosing weight for a while, and doing some research on here, I upped my calories to 2200 per day for several weeks to "reset my metabolism" and see if that would actually work, and didn't gain or lose, so I'm pretty sure 2200 is maintenance for me.

Yet, even taking a calorie deficit of 1600, I'm not losing. I'm maintaining. How can I maintain on 2200 AND 1600?

I weigh myself on the same scale in the same way at the same time. Any ideas?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid problem and B12 anemia. I maintain at 1200 or at 1900. When I have all my health issues under control, I lose weight. If I am out of whack, I only gain... >_<
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary, and I'm far from being a pro at this.

You seem to be eating quite a few refined carbs (white rice etc), as well as more fruit than veg.

Maybe swap your macros around a little, to eat less carbs, and those you eat, make sure they are whole grain, or coming from dairy or veg, also maybe try more veg than fruit to keep the natural sugars lower, and watch the sodium.

How much are you exercising?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long since you switched to 1600?

Do you use a food scale?
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Metabolism speed decreases when you feed your body less? Thus your overall caloric burn decreases just as much as your caloric intake decreases? *shrug* #mytheory
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to use a scale, and now I'm pretty good at eyeballing things. I was thinking of buying a scale the other day, but even if my assessments are off, that would still not explain why I manage to maintain at either 1600 or 2200, since if I'm over estimating, I would be overestimating consistently at 1600 or 2200...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I used to use a scale, and now I'm pretty good at eyeballing things. I was thinking of buying a scale the other day, but even if my assessments are off, that would still not explain why I manage to maintain at either 1600 or 2200, since if I'm over estimating, I would be overestimating consistently at 1600 or 2200...

I had the same issue...You could need more...I say test one number out for 4 weeks and then re-evaluate. If you already tested for 4 weeks, I would say up it again to 2400 for 4 more weeks. If you gain, drop it down (you wouldn't gain much in 4 weeks, so no worries), if you lose, you found what your body needs. it is all trial and error...

Just as a side note: make sure your protein is over 100 grams a day too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

You could be estimating accurately, but there's not really a good way to know without weighing. I've noticed that when I try to estimate I'll do well at first but then I'll start to be more and more off. Just my experience with it.

How long did you say it had been since you switched goals?
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely no authority as I haven't lost very much and I'm losing, but very slowly. With that being said, I think you may need to look at your macros and set them a little differently.....carbs-40%, protein-30%, fat-30% is my suggestion. I'm not certain but that should lower your carbs numbers if you stay within those limits. Give it a try...... I bet you'll do great!
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I did have a carb heavy week this week, but I thought it ultimately didn't matter as long as it was within your calorie limits? I'm not really sure if carbs make all that much a difference as long as there is a deficit at the end of the day?

Looking back, I think the culprit is sodium.

Many of the foods I eat are super high in sodium although MFP doesn't do a really good job at accurately logging it...perhaps because so few people on MFP live in Asia? I can't help the amount of sodium I consume because I don't do much of the cooking, but I think I really need to take a look at my water intake and double up to counter balance.

I can't change the sodium counts of foods other people have put into the system, can I? or can I "quick add" sodium numbers not calories? I think if I tracked sodium levels over time I might find some correlations, but i won't know until I start paying attention to this number more.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    You can look for database entries that have all the info added, including sodium.

Sodium will mask fat loss short term, but if you're having issues over a longer time period it's probably something else.

Carbs can have an effect on water weight. Most people drop a lot of water weight when they cut carbs, and if they add carbs back it comes back.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Why did you cut from 2200 down to 1600? The optimal cut below maintenance is 15% -- 1870 (2200 X 0.85%). 1600 calories is more than a 25% cut below 2200. That is TOO BIG of a deficit.

Your body has two priorities: #1 - Survival, #2 - Stasis (balance).

That is why you want to eat a *moderate* deficit. If your body is not caught up in survival mode, it can focus on bringing your weight into balance. But if you cut your calories too drastically, then alarm bells go off, your body releases stress hormones and your whole system goes into a different mode with all the WRONG hormones for weight loss.

Solution: Raise your calories to 1870 and after your body adjusts, you will start dropping weight.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think you should reduce your sodium to 2000, increase your fruit and vegetables, more protein (yoghurt), stop with the packet soup, throw some carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes, chicken/meat, noddles, squash and season with no salt or low salt, black pepper and hence you home made soup. You could eat a bowl of this with a whole wheat bread, lettuce, tomato cucumber and some grated cheese (that lunch) and you know exactly what you are eating.

Personally, I think you should revamp what you are eating at the same time as reducing your upping your calories. My diary is open if you want to look at it.

I also have a thyroid problem (no thyroid), so for me to lose weight it is very hard. It can be done, but I have to watch what I eat (oats and cereals is definitely) out, and I have to exercise very hard to shift the weight.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    because metabolic repair is not instant and you don't reset it by randomly jumping caloric intake if it's already damaged... things like re-feeds while dieting help prolong any plateaus, but it's not the same things as reverse dieting.

We live in an "instant gratification" world, which I am not excluded from, but everyone needs to chill out and take baby steps.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I maintain anywhere up to 4000 a day and don't start to lose until I'm below 2600ish. I don't have an answer, but I'm curious what other people's thoughts are.