Diet-busting foods you should avoid?

Options
I know everything is okay in moderation, but generally speaking, what are some diet-busting foods that should be avoided if possible, and why? I came up with a list (probably not accurate entirely, or at all) .

I`ve been trying to avoid eating certain foods because I feel as if they might ruin my diet and be extremely-calorie-heavy, :o I`m trying to control my cravings :o but i cannot help it sometimes.

-Milkshakes- calorific and tons of saturated fat
-Hot dogs- fat and sodium filled
-Cinnamon buns- fatty and calorie loaded
-Muffins- sugary and calorie heavy
-Prepackaged meals- sodium heavy
-Potato chips- fattening
-Energy bars- filled with added sugar
-Vitamin water- loaded with sugar
-Granola- has a startling amount of sugar
-Creamy soups- excessive sodium and saturated fat

Replies

• laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For me? peanut butter is probably number one. I love it and can't have it in my house or I go wild.
  • LittleMsEva
    LittleMsEva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For me? peanut butter is probably number one. I love it and can't have it in my house or I go wild.

Never...tried peanut butter... XD
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I read in a Reader's Digest article one of the big rules is "Don't drink your calories except milk" - a little fruit juice here and there is good too, but anything over 6 oz a day becomes a sugary drink. So this would add things like sodas, lattes, mochas, and even some smoothies (some smoothies have tons of calories and sugar even if they're supposedly healthy).
  • baozytools12
    Options
    The trick is to not avoid anything or else when you do start .. and have that taste of what you try to 'avoid' you MIGHT go crazy. Moderation is key. If you can fit in a chocolate bar once a day into your macros, then go for it. But that's just me
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I'm imagining you pole dancing around some pb.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    NUTELLA. I will eat it all.
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    The trick is to not avoid anything or else when you do start .. and have that taste of what you try to 'avoid' you MIGHT go crazy. Moderation is key. If you can fit in a chocolate bar once a day into your macros, then go for it. But that's just me

It all starts with one-bite :D I`m madly in love with milk-chocolate.
  • LittleMsEva
    Options

Had a nutella phase once. That added a few pounds :p
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    You do not have to avoid anything.
  • swatijain81
    Options
    Hey.. M trying to loose weight.. How did u manage to loose so much?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    You avoid over eating, not food. Understand that moderation has more to do with consumption control. Making a habit takes practice and if you avoid what you like altogether, then how can you make it a habit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options

Same for me. SOOOOOO CALORIE dense and hard to measure. 2Tlbs is 200 calories! Normally id use 4x that.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    It's not the food that gets you in trouble, it's your mindset and degree of motivation that are most important. I eat anything that I want to - but I also know that if I decide to have a huge hunk of chocolate cake, I won't have as many available calories later on (unless I exercise to burn that bad boy off). Think of calories like money - you can buy whatever you like as long as you have the available funds.

And as another poster said, "Don't drink your calories, aside from milk". This is truth - if you stick to calorie-free beverages, it gets a lot easier to eat the things you want without tripping yourself up.
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options

This is me too, love the stuff. Now I buy the budget rip off verson for my kids, tastes no where near as good, so I only have it in a sandwich, not by the spoonfull!
  • DarylKhan
    DarylKhan Posts: 2
    Options
    White carbohydrates such as sugars, foods containing flour (ie bread, rice etc...).

I've been avoiding those foods for a couple of weeks, and I have noticed a huge difference in my body fat levels. I also have a cheat day in which I eat anything I want almost to the point of where I'm sick of sugary foods.
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    Hey.. M trying to loose weight.. How did u manage to loose so much?

Ahh my darling, i haven`t lost anything compared to what other people have managed to lose!
  • LittleMsEva
    Options
    White carbohydrates such as sugars, foods containing flour (ie bread, rice etc...).

I've been avoiding those foods for a couple of weeks, and I have noticed a huge difference in my body fat levels. I also have a cheat day in which I eat anything I want almost to the point of where I'm sick of sugary foods.
    Dear God :( I love white bread and rice! =(
  • baozytools12
    Options

Definitely!! I used to go insane on nutella. Now i occasionally top my oats off with it :P
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    i think it is personal. We all have those foods where just a little is never enough. For me, calorie dense foods are what I stay away from...like peanut butter. So tired of hearing how good it is for you... It is impossible stop at the suggested two tablespoons..who really does that? lol
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I know everything is okay in moderation, but generally speaking, what are some diet-busting foods that should be avoided if possible, and why? I came up with a list (probably not accurate entirely, or at all) .

I`ve been trying to avoid eating certain foods because I feel as if they might ruin my diet and be extremely-calorie-heavy, :o I`m trying to control my cravings :o but i cannot help it sometimes.

-Milkshakes- calorific and tons of saturated fat
    -Hot dogs- fat and sodium filled
    -Cinnamon buns- fatty and calorie loaded
    -Muffins- sugary and calorie heavy
    -Prepackaged meals- sodium heavy
    -Potato chips- fattening
    -Energy bars- filled with added sugar
    -Vitamin water- loaded with sugar
    -Granola- has a startling amount of sugar
    -Creamy soups- excessive sodium and saturated fat
    I do not have a "do not eat" list because my list of "do not like" is already long enough. So I just make whatever I want fit.

Oh, remember, fat does not make you fat, but it does play an important part in being healthy.
    More info you might like here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress