Success Story - Doctor's Suprise

Options
I had to go to the doctor for Stye's in both eyes. The last time I saw him was a couple of days before beginning my diet and exercise program where he had talked to me about me having to do something about losing weight although with my physical disabilities (which are severe and very limiting) but he predicted a success for me to be to lose 10% of my excess weight of everything over 200 lbs. and the best I could hope for would be 1/4 to 1/2 lb. per week. At my original 287 lbs. he figured that would mean trying to lose 9 lbs. over 18 to 36 weeks.
I said but Doctor, first of all, at 6' tall 200 lbs. is still 16 lbs. overweight according to your own chart right there on the wall. He said to just listen to him and not to worry about the chart, those numbers are simply not attainable for me. I assured him his standards were too low and he did not understand what I could accomplish with the right motivation.
When I went today I wore my now super lose fitting 4XL shirt (I am now wearing 2XL hoping he would not notice other than the weigh-in results on the computer. The nurse screened me and the doctor was in within minutes. He looked at the screen and saw it said I weighed 235 lbs. with the last weight being 287 lbs. (52 lbs. in just over 6 weeks ago) called the nurse back in and told her she had made an error in weighing me. She assured him she had weighed me twice. I told him she had made no mistake other than their scales were 4 lbs. than my good scales at home and the weight loss was really 56 lbs. but their scales was close enough,
He asked how is that possible, what did you do to lose all of that weight so fast. I simply said by doing what he said was not possible and reminded him that there is only one way to lose weight and that is burning more calories than you take in.
TODAY IS MY HALF WAY (TO MY GOAL) DAY TO LOSE TO 180 LBS (A 107 LB LOSS)

Replies

• susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    Inspiring! You must be thrilled, and I look forward to hearing the next installment!

Well done

Sue :flowerforyou:
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! You must be thrilled, and I look forward to hearing the next installment!

Well done

Sue :flowerforyou:

Thanks Sue. More to come I am sure since this was only my private Doctor, I still have my 4 Veterans Administration (VA) Doctors in the various clinics who had similar views to go over the next several months.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How exciting! That must feel great! I too am looking forward to your next installment.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! I'm so glad that you showed him it can be done. You must be over the moon :smile:
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love your story. Well done and how far you've come. The Dr's reaction must be some tasty (but calorie-free) icing. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your inspiring story of progress.
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring!!

You keep going!!! You seem focused on where you want to be, and god help anyone who stands in your way!! :happy:

I'm really proud of your achievements, and look forward to hearing how you progress.

Keep up the great work.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on your success. Good luck with the rest of your goal.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments everyone but I must point out, the "Success" in my story in my opinion is the proving the Doctor wrong, the weight loss, while proud of it is a work in progress because I have but one true measure of success and that is to meet my end goal. Nothing else is acceptable.

When the Doctor wanted "us to make a goal for me" for my follow up appointment in a month. I said, that is an easy one, based on his standards I should lose 1 to 2 lbs. over a month and my goal is to lose as much as possible until I reach my one and only goal so I would say my goal is as close to losing 51 lbs. as possible.
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Your doctor obviously judged you on first sight, and wanted to categorise you into what he thought it was you needed.

You have obviously proven him wrong!!

But more importantly you are proving to yourself, that you are of strong character and a determined one at that! :happy:

I fully understand were you are coming from with your story and the meaning behind it, wjy not go back and visit your doctor when you are at your ideal goal and get him to update your records - but more importantly, go back one year later when you have managed to maintain your ideal goal and show him he was wrong to judge you!

Well done on your weight loss so far :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!