Losing fast - is this normal?

Options
I am currently on day three of eating 1200 calories/day. before I started I was 164, Day two was 160, and today I weighed 157.4...

Is it normal to lose so fast?

I'm not logging the full weight change until it's a couple of days old, but... is this normal? I was expecting to lose 1lb a week like this, which is also what MFP predicted will happen...

Help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weighing yourself every day will drive you crazy, especially when the weight fluctuates back up!

yes, its normal.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    If you go from a much higher intake, especially with a lot of sodium, you will notice that. Be careful, because 1200 might be unsustainably low. You don't want to crash and yoyo.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You've just started, you lose A LOT of weight when you first start. I mean look at me, I lost a stone in just under a month, but now I've slowed down and just started losing inches of fat.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks usually mean weight drops rapidly - as you lose water weight and glycogen stores. It will slow so don't be disheartened.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above - but as your diary is locked just to add to check your *net* is 1200.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I am currently on day three of eating 1200 calories/day. before I started I was 164, Day two was 160, and today I weighed 157.4...

Is it normal to lose so fast?

I'm not logging the full weight change until it's a couple of days old, but... is this normal? I was expecting to lose 1lb a week like this, which is also what MFP predicted will happen...

Help!

you're just shedding some excess water. it'll come back. your body is constantly fluctuating in overall weight due to water retention. i presume your goal is to lose fat, not just losing weight. 1200 is likely too low a calorie goal for you, unless it's a NET 1200 per day. don't weigh yourself every day, it'll frustrate you. those extra lbs coming off now will show back up on your scale next week and if you don't understand what's happening, it could cause you to panic.
  • kvetkaro
    kvetkaro Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is a net of 1200 per day -- It is a lot for me bcause I have gone up from around 500/day.
    Do you think it is still too low?

Thanks for allthe suggestions! :)
  • kvetkaro
    kvetkaro Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump :)