Just recorded my diary...

melb_alex
melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
Hey guys did an EPIC workout (predominantly weight training) and I can't seem to record the calories for these exercises
thus it is not subtracting from my total??

These are exercises that I do weekly. My trainer was very impressed with me tonight :) Can't move! I think I burnt 500-600 calories!

Check out my progress pics my obliques are starting to show! (Please note I am not looking to lose any more weight only tone up) I'm pre-empting the critisism.

I hope they help you :):):)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    The strength training only tracks lifts. However, you can list strength training or weight lifting under the cardio section, which will add to your calories. However, it's a huge estimate because people workout very differently from each other when lifting (super setting or not, lifting mixed with cardio, etc.).
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    youre doing great my friend.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Hey guys did an EPIC workout (predominantly weight training) and I can't seem to record the calories for these exercises

These are exercises that I do weekly. My trainer was very impressed with me tonight :) Can't move! I think I burnt 500-600 calories!

Check out my progress pics my obliques are starting to show! (Please note I am not looking to lose any more weight only tone up) I'm pre-empting the critisism.

Did you weight train for 2 hours? If not, you probably burnt more like 200-300 calories. 500+ calories while weight training would be difficult even for a guy my size.

On a side note, if you consistently work out, just update your active level to include exercise and don't worry about eating back exercise calories.
  • melb_alex

Did you weight train for 2 hours? If not, you probably burnt more like 200-300 calories. 500+ calories while weight training would be difficult even for a guy my size.

On a side note, if you consistently work out, just update your active level to include exercise and don't worry about eating back exercise calories.

Oh god no only about 45 mins. I'm basing it on the amount of sweating, reps I did etc.

Appreciate the help can you please explain that last bit again?

Ta
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    If you goto Exercise, under Cardiovascular and search exercise "strength training" It will be under there.
  • Hey! You can use this website WeightTraining.com to log in your workouts and know how much you burn :) then you can just log it in manually here.
    (If you aren't a pro member, make sure to keep a record of the total calories you've burned, which is in your profile)
  • melb_alex
    Thanks all :)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    As already said, you can add strength training under the cardio tab. But I take MFP estimate and chop about half of it off. From the research I've done, and previous exp. that seems to be about right. Depending on the muscle group and intensity of the workouts.
    You look phenominal BTW......

Just don't get into the trap of adding too many burned cals from strength training ....
  • psuLemon

Oh god no only about 45 mins. I'm basing it on the amount of sweating, reps I did etc.

Ta

if you post your height, weight, age, and workout routine we can look at your caloric needs based on the TDEE method. Essentially, you would aim for a daily goal. I feel it's a much easier way of managing your calories and because more efficient at allowing you to figure out your true TDEE which will come in handy during maintenance time.
  • melb_alex

Ta

if you post your height, weight, age, and workout routine we can look at your caloric needs based on the TDEE method. Essentially, you would aim for a daily goal. I feel it's a much easier way of managing your calories and because more efficient at allowing you to figure out your true TDEE which will come in handy during maintenance time.

I'm 6 ft (182cm), between 69-70 kilos (152-154 pounds) I'm 26 and I workout 4-5 times a week approx 30 mins of cardio and 20-30 mins of weight training. Diet- very disciplined.

Thanks matey :)
  • psuLemon
    I would suggest you should eat around 1800 calories daily and not worrying about exercise calories. I would also suggest upping you weight training and lowering your cardio.. most people see great composition changes when they do this. 3 -4 days of full body weight training for an hour and 1-2 of cardio.
  • melb_alex
    I would suggest you should eat around 1800 calories daily and not worrying about exercise calories. I would also suggest upping you weight training and lowering your cardio.. most people see great composition changes when they do this. 3 -4 days of full body weight training for an hour and 1-2 of cardio.

I really struggle to eat even 1500 calories per day. Since I lost weight I cannot consume even HALF of what I used to eat. I am going to incorporate more chicken in my diet and rely less on 'grazing'.

I am working with my trainer to increase weights (we NEVER do cardio during our sessions) I like cardio because you can burn a lot of calories but I also like to improve my endurance but thanks for your advice I will incorporate more weights. I actually do weights (Dumb bells at home) every sunday night but lately I have been adding core and focusing on abs and butt.
  • psuLemon
    More calories doesn't mean eating more, just smarter. Adding higher calorie snacks can be very beneficial. Add nuts, avocado, cooking your chicken in extra virgin olive oil, a high calorie protein bar or shake, adding cheese or my personal favorite, going to town on a peanut butter jar. Also, don't be afraid or red meat as its a bit higher in calories. Still look for lean cuts or ground meats. If you can get bison its very lean and delicious. Or there are several members on here who still eat ice or drink calories like chocolate milk. Keep in mind that getting enough calories is more important than having all clean calories. In the end too little can hurt results too.

On a side not I don't know how 1500 would be a struggle.. I eat 2500 and I can't wait to get to maintenance so I can eat 3000..
  • melb_alex
    More calories doesn't mean eating more, just smarter. Adding higher calorie snacks can be very beneficial. Add nuts, avocado, cooking your chicken in extra virgin olive oil, a high calorie protein bar or shake, adding cheese or my personal favorite, going to town on a peanut butter jar. Also, don't be afraid or red meat as its a bit higher in calories. Still look for lean cuts or ground meats. If you can get bison its very lean and delicious. Or there are several members on here who still eat ice or drink calories like chocolate milk. Keep in mind that getting enough calories is more important than having all clean calories. In the end too little can hurt results too.

On a side not I don't know how 1500 would be a struggle.. I eat 2500 and I can't wait to get to maintenance so I can eat 3000..

Thanks for the advice mate :) I love the foods that you listed especially peanut butter but I only eat the organic one :) I have started introducing steak in my diet and genuinely feel better afterwards! I always have a protein shake after training.

Struggle in a sense that I am not a big eater! I don't like eating after training I really don't but I am having something little before training (tonight i have a little pumpkin quinoa spinach salad) see if that works :) I just had a grilled chicken focaccia before!!!!
  • psuLemon

Thanks for the advice mate :) I love the foods that you listed especially peanut butter but I only eat the organic one :) I have started introducing steak in my diet and genuinely feel better afterwards! I always have a protein shake after training.

Struggle in a sense that I am not a big eater! I don't like eating after training I really don't but I am having something little before training (tonight i have a little pumpkin quinoa spinach salad) see if that works :) I just had a grilled chicken focaccia before!!!!

You can eat whenever you want, just make sure you get higher calorie foods throughout the day. Eventually you can start to eat higher quantity. And you feel better after steak because steak is king! I love steak.. so I eat it 2-3 days a week. Alos, I would suggest adjusting your macros to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. If you want to add more fat and reduce carbs or protein a little bit, that will be fine. But more protein and fat is really good for you.