The 2 day diet who is doing it or has tried it??

Options
Hi,

I have decided to try the 2 day diet.

On the 2 day diet plan you eat for 2 non consecutive days a week at just 500 calories (for women) or 600 calories (for men). My 2 days are going to be a Monday and a Thursday and the other days you eat normally (ie 2000 cals for women or 2500 for men).

It appears in studies to be more successful that being on a continuous 1500 calorie a day diet, and also appears to reduce the risk of breast cancer.

Has anyone else tried and succeeded, or failed. Can you share your experiences?

Thanks Lisa :o)) x

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    That's IF---there are many a threads about that here.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting has it's advantages. But I would urge you to calculate your TDEE instead of just going with 2000 cals. That may or may not be the right number for you.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    *I* think it's just another fad diet. Note the * I *. It's not a fact, just my opinion. I'd rather eat dirt then go 2 days a week eating only 500 cals but i acknowledge it works for some people. Whatever floats your boat and all that....
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've heard a lot about Intermittent Fasting and people who use it for weight training...I couldn't do it. My sugar levels get so low (after just a few hours without food) that I'd either pass out or punch someone in the face. And personally I try to not do anything to get the weight off that I wouldn't do to keep it off...if it's not something I can keep up with for life, I don't want to waste my time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's called 5:2 or Intermittent fasting and was never meant as a diet plan. It's supposedly a healing way to eat. You can't randomly decide to eat 500 some days and 2000 others and expect weight loss. If I ate at those levels it would be a steady gain.

If you want to lose weight, figure out your BMR and TDEE. Eat somewhere between the two numbers consistently and quit looking for a fancy named diet to give you the magic cure.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am doing 5:2 and am finding it fantastic. I am steadily losing 2-3 pounds a week, and I don't even cut out tea with milk on the fast days! I feel better on this plan too. I have been trying on and off for years to lose weight, and this is the first sustainable thing that I have done which works. Well it does for me! My husband is doing it too and has dropped two waist sizes in two months..
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i know a few people who've been doing one or two 'fasting' days a week. some have lost weight, others not but the general concensus is that it makes them feel a lot better. research on people who fast does suggest reduced risk of cancers and alzheimers, but i think that's based on religious fasting. i'll do an occasional fasting day when i've splurged and it feels nice to be a bit hungry. i'm planning on doing one fast day a week when i get down to my goal.
    either way, give it a try for a while and see how it works for you.
  • kittiekat89
    kittiekat89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice, first time i lost 25lbs but suffered an accident at work, so i'm back on it now i'm better, in the last 2 months i've lost 15lbs and i do recommend that you eat your BMR calories on the other 5 days...

try 'The Fast Diet' book it really helped me understand.

Good luck :) x