Breakfast smoothie

Options
krissybohaczyk
krissybohaczyk Posts: 48 Member
Hi everybody! I was just looking through the recipes and saw some good ideas so I thought I'd post one of my own. I made a fruit smoothie this morning (it's hot here right now so a cold smoothie was de-lightful) that actually kept me full for hours. Here's what I put in: 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen blackberries, 1 whole banana, 2 tbs of ground almonds, and enough water to process. If you want to you can add a serving of fresh spinach for extra nutrients. It's a great way to get a veggie serving in if you're not big on eating veggies. Trust me you won't even know it's there. It makes one smoothie at about 300 calories.

Replies

• ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I usually add protein powder, but I like the idea of ground almond. You could also grind flax seeds for a good dose of omega-3's. I've done this in the past. I have an old coffee grinder that I use to grind the seeds. Works great!

Maybe I'll get brave and try the spinach sometime. I actually like veggies, so I don't NEED to do this, but you've piqued my curiosity. :bigsmile:
  • lntbb
    lntbb Posts: 30
    Options
    Smoothies have been a part of my life for a while now. The variations are ... endless. They make great lite dinners too with a piece of toast...I'm good for the night.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Immunity Monster:

1 cup Bolthouse Farms C-Boost Juice
    1 cup Great Value (Walmart) frozen mixed fruit (strawberry, peach, mango)

destroy in blender for 1200% vitamin C yumminess!

If you want a creamsicle variety with high protein, add 1 scoop vanilla protein powder. It comes out like ice cream!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I usually add protein powder, but I like the idea of ground almond. You could also grind flax seeds for a good dose of omega-3's. I've done this in the past. I have an old coffee grinder that I use to grind the seeds. Works great!

Maybe I'll get brave and try the spinach sometime. I actually like veggies, so I don't NEED to do this, but you've piqued my curiosity. :bigsmile:

I've been adding fresh spinach to my fruit smoothies for awhile - I love it because you really can't taste the spinach and it's a good dose of extra vitamins. I try to add about a cup of raw spinach to each smoothie. You just have to get over the green color that it turns the smoothie...:laugh:
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You just have to get over the green color that it turns the smoothie...:laugh:

Add some beet juice :laugh: :noway: :bigsmile:
  • cornmffn
    cornmffn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i usually make a fruit smoothie at night and refridgerate it so i can grab it quick before work. bananas are always great for keeping you full for a long time. i use orange juice, banana or yogurt, and whatever fresh fruit i have likeblue berries rasberries or strawberries. another think i like to do is juice a tomato and some celery and add it in. you cant taste it, but you get the nutrients. and speaking of juicing, we invested in a really good juicer- its the jack lalaine one, and you can fit a whole apple in at a time. the easier it is, the more likely you are to use it. juicers are also great because if you juice, say, an apple- you can use the left over pulp for apple muffins. you use virtually every part of the apple so its pretty cost efficient and pays for itself soon enough. ive heard that apples and grapefruit are good if you are trying to lose weight so i try to add some of those as much as possible.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I am so going to have to try some of these.

For my smoothies I just take 1 cup soy milk and add fozen/fresh fruit and blend

or I take soymilk and add banana and peanut butter.....yummy!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I was just looking through the recipes and saw some good ideas so I thought I'd post one of my own. I made a fruit smoothie this morning (it's hot here right now so a cold smoothie was de-lightful) that actually kept me full for hours. Here's what I put in: 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen blackberries, 1 whole banana, 2 tbs of ground almonds, and enough water to process. If you want to you can add a serving of fresh spinach for extra nutrients. It's a great way to get a veggie serving in if you're not big on eating veggies. Trust me you won't even know it's there. It makes one smoothie at about 300 calories.
    Ya know of all the recipes I've seen, never noticed one adding almonds, great idea!
    Becca