Can you get Fatskinny

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
We have all heard the term of skinnyfat - someone who is skinny but no muscle tone etc but can you get someone who is over weight but has great muscle tone?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    yea but a lot of times you can't see it because all the fats in the way, but a good example would be the plus sized models, larger but toned and not flabby
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I know a woman who has done a fantastic job of losing weight using MFP. She's dropped about 70 pounds, she's just a hair under 200 pounds, but has held stagnant for awhile due to food choices. She still exercises hard every day, a mix of cardio and lifting.

Frankly, cardio wise she can do things that would amaze the more fit among us, and performs at a level you could never expect of a 200 pound woman. She's strong physically and healthy on the inside, for sure. Could she be better? Yeah. But I think she defines the term you're looking for.
  • bbl2013t
    bbl2013t Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    no, thats rubbish
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think that's just called fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by overweight? Overweight by what standards/measure? By the scale or in body fat terms?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    yea but a lot of times you can't see it because all the fats in the way, but a good example would be the plus sized models, larger but toned and not flabby

Unfortunately the plus sized models (the real plus sized models and not the size 10 'plus sized' models) usually have their cellulite photoshopped out.
  • mariliak
    mariliak Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are people who fatskinny . I think me myslef I am this case of person . I have been exercising my entire life since I was three . Ballet for 12 years , then dancing , gym , aerobics etc. I had always been more firm than many of my skinny friends , had more stamina , no celluite and fat jumping around , and I am also very flexible , I can do a full split . Still I always struggled with my weight . I have never been obese but I have to admit I am overweight I weight 79 kg- 174 lb but I have 34% body fat . I have many more muscles than my friends who weight 120 lb and complain all the time when they have to walk a km . I had boulimia though so eating tones of food and then throwing up hasnt hepled my body or my metabolism . Anyway I think overweight people who have muscles and firm bodies exist although its not so often .
  • mariliak
    mariliak Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    and I am size 14 by the way ...
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    do you mean like this guy (Vasili Alexeyev)?

ff50d40501f81d63.jpg

he set 80 world records during his career and won 2 olympic gold medals (1972, 1976)

his best clean & press was 521lbs and best clean & jerk was 564lbs.

clearly he had developed muscles, but they were well hidden by fat.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if sumo wrestlers fit the bill. They look fat but they seem to also have quite a lot of muscle and are obviously very strong.

Plus sized women of course are the best example. They have large frames but also good muscle tone.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm almost overweight according to BMI, at 22% body fat and my lean body mass is around 101lb which is in the healthy range for my height. I'm 5'1" so the healthy BMI range for my height is 100-132lb. So if you remove all the fat from my body I'd still be in that healthy range, even though 0% body fat = dead (though it would be impossible for anyone to diet to such low body fat without starving off all their muscle in the process.

I wouldn't call this "fatskinny" though... I'm nether fat nor skinny, I'm large framed and muscular. 22% body fat is not fat (it's right in the middle of the healthy range for women) ... and there's no way I'd qualify as skinny either.

People who have a lot of muscle mass and quite a high body fat percentage, I'd call "bear mode"..... like Vasili Alexeyev (pic posted earlier in the thread). I think this body type exists in women too, not just men. I used to play ice hockey and let me tell you that there are women of that body type... usually playing defence for the other team and flattening our forwards. And you can probably find them in women's rugby teams too, e.g. prop forwards. In fact before I heard the term "bear mode" I would have described the body type as "prop forward build". In fact when I played ice hockey I was quite chubby (you can't out train a bad diet...!!) so was probably the female equivalent of the "built fat" body type... i.e. like "bear mode" but less extreme (or maybe just a short version of bear mode lol so I didn't look quite so big). I would not use any word containing the word "skinny" to describe this body type. And probably not fat either, because they're not that fat, they're very heavily built and just covered in a layer of fat that hides the muscles. You'll know the difference when you skate into them. Fat people are easy to knock down in ice hockey games. Bear mode people.... not so much!!!
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You see it on biggest loser!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Alot of powerlifters that aren't worried about aesthetics fit what you would describe as fat with 'good muscle tone'

Dean Bowring.
    IPF_World_Champion_Dean_Bowring_performing_the_three_Powerlifting_moves_zps1b47cc22.jpg

1196943691_zpse06e06a3.jpg

Unfortunately as another poster mentioned they're just reffered to as fat. As I don't think skinny could be used to describe any of them.