should i up my calories?

Options
In April i fell off the wagon, luckily didn't put any of the weight on, since may i have been working harder than before i fell off the wagon , i do 40-50 mins on exercise bike 4 - 5 days a week, walk 3.5 miles twice a week and weights 4-5 times a week. Before i feel off the wagon i lost 13 pounds in 2 months, and i have only lost one since may, i have my goal set to lose 1.5 lb a week. I eat
1310 calories + most exercise calories and i weigh my food out. Am 5"4 and weigh 196 lb, my goal is to get down to 147 lb

Any suggestions? :)

Replies

• WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You say you eat most of your exercise calories back, do you go by MFP's calculations? MFP is notorious for exaggerating calories burned, so it could be that you're not burning as many calories as you think you are and are therefore over-eating.

Also, are you measuring? A lot of people lose inches/pant sizes without really losing pounds on the scale...

I'm no expert though and I will say that I prefer the higher calories/slower weight loss strategy to the barely eating/losing weight like crazy strategy. I am only 148lbs and my calorie goal is 1870 (though I don't usually eat back exercise calories). You really just have to figure out what works for you! Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, you should be more patient.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    well 50 to 80% of my calories, if i get hungry. i do use MFP calculations, cant really afford a HRM so i may use different websites so i can get an average. Not currently measuring but only because i can't find my tape measure :laugh: but may start doing so. Am thinking of upping my calories and not eatting exercise calories back but i don't want to put weight on or stall as i go on holiday in 11 weeks and i would like to lose at least 7 lb by then :)
  • beckieboomoo
    Options

i was thinking that in back of my head, but i see people on here losing a lot in a couple of months and just think why aren't i losing that much.... ive never been a patient person though..... :P
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    well 50 to 80% of my calories, if i get hungry. i do use MFP calculations, cant really afford a HRM so i may use different websites so i can get an average. Not currently measuring but only because i can't find my tape measure :laugh: but may start doing so. Am thinking of upping my calories and not eatting exercise calories back but i don't want to put weight on or stall as i go on holiday in 11 weeks and i would like to lose at least 7 lb by then :)

Increasing cals, but then not eating back exercise cals... does that really accomplish anything? So you increase cals by 250. You stop eating back exercise cals (normally around 250)... it's a wash.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options

Increasing cals, but then not eating back exercise cals... does that really accomplish anything? So you increase cals by 250. You stop eating back exercise cals (normally around 250)... it's a wash.

Well once a week i won't eat any of them back, and i have a day off so thought it be better off being the same everyday than keep going up and down.
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    You say you eat most of your exercise calories back, do you go by MFP's calculations? MFP is notorious for exaggerating calories burned, so it could be that you're not burning as many calories as you think you are and are therefore over-eating.

Also, are you measuring? A lot of people lose inches/pant sizes without really losing pounds on the scale...

I'm no expert though and I will say that I prefer the higher calories/slower weight loss strategy to the barely eating/losing weight like crazy strategy. I am only 148lbs and my calorie goal is 1870 (though I don't usually eat back exercise calories). You really just have to figure out what works for you! Good luck!

Get a heart rate monitor. I bought the Polar FT7 on Amazon for less than 70. It keeps track of workout time, calories burned, time spent working out that's burning fat, etc. I wouldnt rely on MFP's calories burned count. If you want accuracy, get a monitor.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options

i was thinking that in back of my head, but i see people on here losing a lot in a couple of months and just think why aren't i losing that much.... ive never been a patient person though..... :P

This is one journey in which patience is a necessity! If you don't have any, you better get some. Most of the poeple who lose a ton of weight in a short period of time are either very large and have quite a bit to lose or are barely eating and that's why they lose so fast. If took me a year to lose 40 lbs, but I learned enough along the way to keep it off. And keeping it off is the goal, right? :wink:
  • beckieboomoo
    Options

This is one journey in which patience is a necessity! If you don't have any, you better get some. Most of the poeple who lose a ton of weight in a short period of time are either very large and have quite a bit to lose or are barely eating and that's why they lose so fast. If took me a year to lose 40 lbs, but I learned enough along the way to keep it off. And keeping it off is the goal, right? :wink:

why i fell off the wagon but i came back with some patience and willpower =D and right =]
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Your muscles may be getting used to the increased exercise and retaining water. Be patient and stay on track. It sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    Your muscles may be getting used to the increased exercise and retaining water. Be patient and stay on track. It sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Good Luck :flowerforyou:

• jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump