All-inclusive vacation, strategies for not gaining?

Options
UrbanLotus
UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
Hi people, I'm headed to a fabulous Mexican resort for 5 days - I'm excited but also really worried about messing up my progress. I'm the type that gains just by smelling food lol, so I could come out of this up like 5lbs :\.

So how do I balance wanting to enjoy my vacation & taking advantage of the awesome spread (aka get my money's worth lol) with not gaining? The last resort I went to didn't have many options as far as salads were concerned - the veggies were all wilted and gross. This one is a 5 star and the food is supposed to be better, so hopefully I can fill up on salad a bit, but if not... And its my vacation, I want to drink!

And to top this off I'm going out of town for 3 days immediately after getting back - an Indian wedding, so multiple events filled with tons of delicious food and alcohol :(.

Replies

• sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go on vacation, especially if it is a nice resort, I tend to eat more than I do at home. However, it usually ends up weight-neutral for me, because I tend to go on lots of long walks, go snorkeling, kayaking, etc. I say it's your vacation: enjoy your food! But go out and *do* lots of fun stuff too!
  • alexadarielle21
    Options
    Try to workout if they have a gym!
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Whenever I go on vacation, especially if it is a nice resort, I tend to eat more than I do at home. However, it usually ends up weight-neutral for me, because I tend to go on lots of long walks, go snorkeling, kayaking, etc. I say it's your vacation: enjoy your food! But go out and *do* lots of fun stuff too!

good point, I love being in the water so I'll be swimming a lot, hopefully that will help mitigate!

They do have a gym, I'm only taking a small carryon so I'll have to see if I can fit gym stuff in. I'm so out of shape that I can't work out for long, only end up burning like 200 cals so I don't know how much of a difference that would make :\
  • zeke1964
    zeke1964 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best choice for a vacation............Just try to remember that you arent losing weight for the moneys worth, you are doing it to look and feel better.......Have fun and good luck!
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Probably not the best choice for a vacation............

Are we not supposed to vacation while on this journey? Come on :\
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm planning a big vacation for a couple weeks from now too, so I'm in the same situation! I decided to just... enjoy it. Try to get in some exercise. Don't gorge on unhealthy food, but eat the darn fajitas and have that margarita if it suits you. If drinking is an issue, try to keep it to stuff like club soda with flavored vodka and lime. It is tropical enough without the syrups and you can throw your high cal drink in there occasionally without overdoing it. Do the same stuff you would do at home with your food. Sub out some bad things for better options, be mindful of your calories, and don't eat just because it's there. If you make some decisions you regret, move on and just enjoy yourself anyway. No need for self shaming any time of year, especially while on vacation.

Have faith in yourself! I just knew that I would come back from Vegas after New Years and never step foot back in the gym. I immediately got the flu when I returned home, but I was back at it within a few days! Don't give yourself the option to fail. It's not worth the angst. Have fun, do some things in moderation that you wouldn't do at home, and just remember that you will come home and get right back on track.

HAVE FUN!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You need to forego the "Get my monies worth" mentality. Choose your foods carefully and allow a couple of splurges a day--either a fruity drink or a few bites of a decadent dessert. Work out every morning. Skip the pastries and junk at breakfast. Instead of the buffet, just sit at a table and let them bring you an egg white omelette with veggies and a side of fruit. No breads, no potatoes. Eat a lot of grilled/broiled fish, drink a lot of water.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water, easy on the booze, and don't go for seconds at the food buffets. And pick the healthier options, more fruits and veggies and less carbs/fried foods. And HAVE FUN !
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Watch the buffet. Build exercise, even a walk, into your schedule every day. If you can, hang out with people who are fitness-oriented and who don't overindulge at the bar or in the restaurant. Consider weighing yourself every day if that will help. Or tracking everything you eat.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an AI vacation to Cuba last month. My only advice is to have a great time, eat sensible portions, enjoy your alcohol, walk and check out the resort and surrounded area, and don't worry about your workout routine as you can easily pick it back up when you get home.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You need to forego the "Get my monies worth" mentality. Choose your foods carefully and allow a couple of splurges a day--either a fruity drink or a few bites of a decadent dessert. Work out every morning. Skip the pastries and junk at breakfast. Instead of the buffet, just sit at a table and let them bring you an egg white omelette with veggies and a side of fruit. No breads, no potatoes. Eat a lot of grilled/broiled fish, drink a lot of water.

Right. Getting your money's worth will be to have fun, relax, socialize, enjoy sensuous pleasures like good eating and drinking while returning home roughly the same size.

It might not hurt to lose a little weight before the wedding so you'll have a margin for gain. Some people lose a few pounds before the winter holidays in the West.
  • katieverkuilen94
    Options
    I'm going on a week-long cruise in a few weeks, so this post really helps me out too! My plan is to only eat at meals (no-inbetween snacking unless it's something healthy) and to keep active. Whenever you think about food, do something active instead like taking a walk or swimming. And... LOTS of water! :)

I hope you have a wonderful time! :) Sounds like fun!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't restrict yourself too much. It's a vacation! How much could you realistically gain in 5 days? 2 pounds maybe? (7000 EXTRA calories!) Have fun!

That said I usually try and be smart at breakfast. Most all inclusives have lots of healthy choices for breakfast. Lots of fruit.

Let your hair down a little at lunch, haven't had a burger in a long time? Go for it! Surely your activity level will cancel lunch out.

And at dinner, let it all hang out. Eat anything you want! Even with that attitude I'll bet you make smarter choices just out of habit.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Go and enjoy it! We work all year, at work and at the gym, we eat healthy and watch our salt, alcohol, sugar intake etc. Why do we work hard?

So that we can afford to go on amazing vacations, look great in our bikinis, and have a good time!! So go and enjoy yourself after working hard to get there :wink:
  • UrbanLotus
    Options

Right. Getting your money's worth will be to have fun, relax, socialize, enjoy sensuous pleasures like good eating and drinking while returning home roughly the same size.

It might not hurt to lose a little weight before the wedding so you'll have a margin for gain. Some people lose a few pounds before the winter holidays in the West.

I see your point about the money's worth thing...but this doesn't sound like fun at all, I mean I DO want to enjoy my vacation and not be at strict with things as I am here you know? Maybe I'll follow these strategies during the day & splurge at dinner.

LOL the wedding (not mine) is in 8 days (5 of which will be spent at this resort), and I'm always trying to lose sooo...
  • MarieKG77
    MarieKG77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been on one vacation since I started my journey. That was to Las Vegas in January. I went with my mom who really enjoys eating out and I was very worried that I would gain weight and fall back into old habits. But i was relieved to enjoy myself for the whole week and not gain any weight. I did try to limit the alcohol to just a few drinks a day and I drank lots of water and WALKED everywhere. My family and I will be going to Florida for a week in July and I am so looking forward to it and am happy to say that this time I have no anxiety about gaining weight. Being healthy is a choice and a lifestyle. One week of anything is not going to make or break you. I'm also looking forward to going for runs on the beach!!
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    My only comparison is my two week all inclusive a few years ago where I ate so much BACON that I gained 10 pounds!!! lol I still believe in high protein, but okay, the fat was a bit much!

If I were doing it again, I would splurge earlier in the day and cool it at dinner so that I would at least have a chance to burn some of it off before bed.

I like what another person said. Stay away from the syrupy drinks, sugar, and white carbs. Focus on the lean meat, eggs, cheeses, and veggies. And drink lots and lots of water. Do the a la carts and try to stay away from the buffets as much as possible.

Have a good time!
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Ok mental note - no bacon LOL. A la carte is a great idea!
  • Hennagrrl
    Hennagrrl Posts: 11
    Options
    Mexican food is generally pretty healthy -- and lots of tropical fruits around. I'd go easy on the flour tortillas -- corn have fewer calories. No sour cream... fresh avocados over guac if you can. And then just stay active. You are on VACATION! Have fun, but don't overdo things and you should be fine.

Indian wedding should be awesome, too! (Jealous!)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If you drink and swim at the same time, the calories will probably cancel each other out!

Enjoy your vacation. If someone told me I could go to Mexico but I would have to gain 5 pounds, I'd gain the 5 pounds and have fun.