• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    <--- uses the dbs at the end of the rack. Never drops them
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

So you can DB flat press 240 to failure and still manage to get up? Or you never go to failure? Or your dumbells dont weigh 120 each?

I dont care if its incline.. i mean flat...

At the end of the day, you should drop the weights if you think it may prevent an injury. You shouldnt make a douchy clash to be macho. Anyone saying you should never drop weights, is clueless.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    The dropping weights and the super loud grunting= everybody please look at me I'm the ****!! But just makes them looks stupid

Things that will help you get that last rep and break PRs:
    1 - Metal in your playlist.
    2 - Tapping into your primal instincts by grunting.
    3 - Not being afraid to drop the weights if you fail your rep. You'll get 'em next time.
    4 - Not giving a damn that others might think you look stupid. Likely that you are progressing while they are spinning their wheels (sometimes literally, on the hamster wheel).

Things that will hinder your progress:
    1 - Being judgemental about what others are doing.
    2 - Not focusing on what YOU are trying to accomplish.

As for the OP, some lifters drop the deadlift at the top in order to prevent injury during the eccentric part of the movement. And some do this even with warm up sets. If the gym owners do not have a problem with this, neither should anyone else. If the noise distracts you, you aren't focused enough. Go join Planet Fitness, and good luck with your progress.

If we can swap Metal in your #1 for some Simon & Garfunkel then we're in total agreement fella!

".... like a bridge over troubled waters....."

helps me get that last rep every time......
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I see the reasoning to do it occasionally if you're going to absolute failure on a set but yea... there are a lot of dumb meatheads that drop weights for no reason other than to look like a badass (in their mind). Its the same reason people do all kinds of stupid crap in life, they think it looks cool when really it doesnt.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Go to a heavy deadlift single at 95%+ of your 1RM and then come back and post that nonsense.

Just curious "what nonsense" my reply contains? What scientific benefit is there to blowing off the eccentric part of lift?

I guarantee you 99% of the meatheads in the gym dropping weights aren't going for a 1RM on their lifts.

The eccentric isn't always beneficial, depends on what you're doing. There is zero benefit from the eccentric portion of a Power Clean or Snatch for instance.

Agreed, most aren't working heavy and just being stupid. But to say 100% of the time that it's stupid and wrong is an incorrect statement.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

So you can DB flat press 240 to failure and still manage to get up? Or you never go to failure? Or your dumbells dont weigh 120 each?

At the end of the day, you should drop the weights if you think it may prevent an injury. You shouldnt make a douchy clash to be macho. Anyone saying you should never drop weights, is clueless.

Agreed. I've actually ruptured the tendon that connects from your chest into your arm and I wasn't even benching anything heavy, it just decided to go. I was doing DB bench one time and went to let the weight down to the ground and felt that spot twinge as I did it, for now on I just drop the DB's. The mats are rubber, so who cares. I'm not injuring or re-injuring anything just to save the possibility that management may have to tighten the screws that hold the plates on.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Agreed. I've actually ruptured the tendon that connects from your chest into your arm and I wasn't even benching anything heavy, it just decided to go. I was doing DB bench one time and went to let the weight down to the ground and felt that spot twinge as I did it, for now on I just drop the DB's. The mats are rubber, so who cares. I'm not injuring or re-injuring anything just to save the possibility that management may have to tighten the screws that hold the plates on.

Dropping them bends them. It's because I don't want to wreck my shoulders that I don't put them down. Since I don't put them down, I don't drop them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yes, I can press 120s and get up. You can't?

I've seen dropped heavy dbs get bent and the gym is ungodly slow about replacing them. There's really no pressure on them to do so because only 2 people in the entire gym use them, and one of them is the SOB that bent them.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Beep! De de beep! Deep! Beep!

*Update.

So I saw the gym manager take the now practically U-shaped barbell away, and we're getting a new one! Yay!

I'm not holding my breath, but I'll continue to use the slightly less bent one in the meantime.