Sleeping pills

Options
2»

Replies

• underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking melatonin? It's all natural and is naturally produced in the body. When I can't sleep I take benadryl it helps with my allergies and allows me to knock out.
    Melatonin is a hormone and I would definitely be cautious with it. It is not sold OTC in many countries worldwide - none in the UK I believe. Just use caution - do some research about drug interactions and side effects before you decide to take it. That is my only advice. I used to take sleeping medication like it was my job, but no longer need to. Benadryl was always a sure thing for me though.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    benadryl, or the generic equivalent. Inexpensive, non habit forming and its what my doctor suggested.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I take melatonin (3-5 mg) then take a hot shower with lavender soap (the Sleep aromatherapy line by Bath & Body Works). By the time I'm out of the shower, the melatonin starts to work and I'm usually relaxed enough to sleep. If my skin is dry, I use Aveeno Stress Relief with lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang (because it's a lot cheaper than the BBW stuff!).

I also turn down the lights before getting in the shower and often shower by nightlight+candlelight; I have a salt lamp in my bedroom that gives off a warm glow. This way I'm not awaken by bright lighting between getting out of the shower and going to bed.

Also: tea. I like the Celestial Seasonings sleepy time vanilla or the tension tamer with just a bit of milk and stevia.

These often don't help when I'm experiencing true insomnia, but when I just need to unwind, some combination of the above is almost sure to work. Good luck!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    You know what works for me? I workout out hard as f@#k, get a lot of *kitten* done in the house, play with my kids, and then knock out.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Kava Kava..or smoke a little pot
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    benadryl, or the generic equivalent. Inexpensive, non habit forming and its what my doctor suggested.

Yup! That's what I take. I have no trouble falling asleep, but I do wake up at 2 AM and am wide awake if I don't take my benedryl before I go to bed.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    All of them are basically benadryl. For me, taking it one night will knock me out, but if I take two nights in a row it's like a gallon of espresso. I slept great with Valerian Root, but it made me a bit mentally ill. Go with melatonin.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    Melatonin ;)

Can't keep my eyes open with in 20 mins of taking one pill and often pass out on the couch.
  • yrollam1013
    yrollam1013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Melatonin has worked for me in the past, when I haven''t been on a prescription sleep aid. Good sleep is so important for it regulates my moods and how I feel physically. Good luck finding something to help you sleep.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lubefyMkVM1qgezxco1_500.gif
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've tried prescriptions, zzzquil (does nothing at all), several different over the counter sleeping pills, melatonin, benadryl, the only thing that works at all for me is Advil PM, if my arm is hurting so much I can't sleep. If I take two of these at bedtime I can usually fall asleep within the next five hours or so. Last night I did that and got to sleep at 6:30 a.m., then had to get up three hours later to start farm/garden work. If I get up at night for the bathroom, I nearly always am awake the rest of the night. If anybody out there has tried Lunesta, did it work for you? It sucks to be so fatigued you can't see straight but still can't get to sleep.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Melatonin ;)

Can't keep my eyes open with in 20 mins of taking one pill and often pass out on the couch.

^^This

My husband uses it b/c he has a hard time falling asleep. Be careful though. There are two different types as well as different dosages. He usually gets the 3 mg regular tabs. One time he accidentally go the extended release and his metabolism is slow so he ended up sleeping for almost 15 hrs! I recommend trying it the first few times on days when you don't have to get up the next morning so you can find the right dosage and type for you.