Really need advice on increasing calories.

Options
Hey there. Although I understand 99% of you are usually up in arms about VLCDs I recently lost about 27-28 pounds by eating about 850 calories per day and taking vitamins for what I wasn't getting. My doctor knew about my diet and exercise habits and thought that it was fine, so I continued for about three and a half months. I have heard a ton of arguments against this, but it helped me lose weight, and now I can't lose anymore weight or else I'll be unhealthy. SO, since I was losing 2 pounds per week steadily, it stands to reason that I was eating about a 1000 calorie deficit per day, correct?

Now I admit to being very uneducated in this area, so I really am asking for some informed opinions and suggestions. I recently starting eating an extra 200 ish calories per day (usually a luna bar, as I was not getting enough protein before). I'm 5'6" and about 115 pounds. After a week of upping my calories that little amount, I've lost no weight.

Does this mean that this is the number of calories I need to eat to maintain my weight? Scientifically, that doesn't make much sense. I was hoping to be able to up my calories to about 1300-1500 on average as a means of maintaining, but this has got me a bit nervous. I realize that to be healthy I need to eat more, and so I'd rather not just hear a bunch of replies criticizing my past, scant eating habits. Instead, if you could suggest to me how to find the balance of calories and maintain my weight, I would really appreciate it.

My original goal was 120 so I don't mind gaining a couple pounds if that's part of the process. I just don't want to change my eating habits and gradually gain weight until I'm back where I started.

I tried to make my diary open a while back if you'd like to see what I've been eating. If it's not, let me know. On top of the recorded food I usually eat about 150 calories in pretzels, animal crackers, wheat thins or other snacks throughout the day. And yes I'm sure I'm logging and estimating accurately. I'm very meticulous about it.

Thank you so much for reading all of this and for helping me. I really want to be healthy, stable, and less grumpy because of my eating habits and I'm hoping with your help I'll be able to do that.

Replies

• momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 34 years old, 124lbs and I'm eating 2,000-2,200 calories a day. I'd just keep upping the calories, but do it with healthy calories-good carbs and protein. Ditch the fake stuff, it's not doing your health any favors.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    First, I am glad that you are coming to the realization that your eating habits need to change in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Second, most all doctors and pcp's are not knowledgable in nutrition to the extent that qualifies them to give nutritional advice.

And lastly, increasing your calories is the right decision, so don't doubt yourself.

Because of such a large defecit before, it is quite possible you will gain a few pounds as your body adjusts.

Here are a couple sites to help get you started:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    > Calculate your TDEE and BMR

Search IPOARM 3 in the forums and find the thread posted by Helloitsdan. Lot's of good information there. I would put the link, but there was a glitch for some reason.

ETA: Found some:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Place-of-a-Road-Map-MFP/342385002516919

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well, at 5'6'' and 115 lbs you probably shouldnt be losing more weight, especially if you are physically fit. Your plateau may be your way of saying that biologically its exactly where it wants to be to maintain functional fat (because you do need it for organ to run correctly) and to maintain functional musclemass.

However, if you are looking for maintenance, or even if you are looking for fatloss/muscle gain I would recommend using the SCOBY TDEE calculator. I have personally found that its really helped me it my quest for health, and its pretty easy to figure out.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ez..gradually increase calories and raise your energy expenditure till you are satisfied..GRADUALLY:)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You're prob grumpy from the low carbs and fats. Increase all macros slowly, your metab is crawling right now. Seriously low intake.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well, at 5'6'' and 115 lbs you probably shouldnt be losing more weight, especially if you are physically fit. Your plateau may be your way of saying that biologically its exactly where it wants to be to maintain functional fat (because you do need it for organ to run correctly) and to maintain functional musclemass.

However, if you are looking for maintenance, or even if you are looking for fatloss/muscle gain I would recommend using the SCOBY TDEE calculator. I have personally found that its really helped me it my quest for health, and its pretty easy to figure out.

Thank you. I just did this a few days ago and it put me at around 1650 calories. This feels high. I'm not sure whether this is because I've been depriving myself for so long, or because it actually is too high. Should I up my calories gradually? And if so, how long should I stay at each level?

To be honest, if I gained anything after a week, I'd be really afraid to keep on the same path out of fear that I'd gain continuously and undo my progress. I realize this is a considerably counterproductive mentality, but it will be very hard for me to mentally overcome that barrier.

Has anyone had experience with upping their calories, gaining initially, but then sitting at a stable weight afterwards?
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know others will probably get into the scientific version of *why*, but basically I think it boils down to "your body learned to compensate for you eating so few cals". If you hadn't decided to stop the VLCD on your own, your weight loss would have likely stalled out on its own. Your new baseline is now (temporarily) much lower than it would have been if you hadn't done the VLCD. Like others have said, you may gain a few lbs as your body readjusts to the idea that you are going to start giving it the cals it normally needs. Increase slowly and be sure to exercise while you're doing it, to help boost your metabolism again. You need to stoke the fire of your metabolism again, as it died down considerably due to the VLCD.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think at 5'6" & 115 lbs you are just where you need to be. I am 5'6" & 126 lbs. I am looking to trim some inches off my waist & hips but don't care about the number on the scale. I eat 1750 calories daily & workout 5-6 days a week & am seeing a slow loss in inches which is fine by me.. use the scooby workshop TDEE calculator & go from there.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    You're prob grumpy from the low carbs and fats. Increase all macros slowly, your metab is crawling right now. Seriously low intake.

I've always wondered about increasing carbs. When I do this, it increases my sugars, which are WELL over the set amount by MFP. Is this a problem?
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    I think at 5'6" & 115 lbs you are just where you need to be. I am 5'6" & 126 lbs. I am looking to trim some inches off my waist & hips but don't care about the number on the scale. I eat 1750 calories daily & workout 5-6 days a week & am seeing a slow loss in inches which is fine by me.. use the scooby workshop TDEE calculator & go from there.

Thanks. I'll start taking measurements as a means of comparison.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think you got some advice on calculating calorie needs. My additional advice would be to settle on a weight RANGE, not just one number. Perhaps 120-125. I would focus on staying within the range (if that's important to you) and not just at one number or you will drive yourself crazy! Don't be afraid to be healthy and moderate--it's just a number on a scale. You are NOT a number.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think you got some advice on calculating calorie needs. My additional advice would be to settle on a weight RANGE, not just one number. Perhaps 120-125. I would focus on staying within the range (if that's important to you) and not just at one number or you will drive yourself crazy! Don't be afraid to be healthy and moderate--it's just a number on a scale. You are NOT a number.

^^ THIS. My weight fluctuates from 123-126. However, my waist is getting smaller & my hips are shrinking too & I get to eat soo much more food than before. Also, when you up your calories do it slowly, say about 50-100 calories per week until you reach what you need to be at. Feel free to befriend me! I am skinny fat & am looking to build muscle which leans you out & gets rid of your jiggles & all that fun stuff.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I averaged 1,040 calories a day for 8 months, under a doctor's and nutritionist's supervision. As I got close to a healthy BMI, they had me increase 200 calories a day for three to four weeks, then increase another 200, and so on, until everything evens out. I'm also a lot bigger than you, still, at 6'3" and 202 pounds -- 2 pounds from "normal." As long as you are scrupulous about weighing, measuring, and logging every calorie, you can find where your body needs to be. Don't guess. I weigh everything, and even log the handful of calories in my vitamins.

Your metabolism may have slowed a little. Mine did, about 15 percent, but I was on low calories a lot longer than you. By increasing gradually, your metabolism will have time to increase. It will return to normal--you don't permanently damage your metabolism, either gaining or losing weight. But remember, your new metabolism will still be lower than before, only because you have lost a bunch of weight.

Weight is simply a matter of calories in vs calories out. Nothing more. But remember that health and fitness do depend on the quality of those calories. When you increase, choose wisely. More protein is always good.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, your metabolism slowed wayyyyy down. However, that is not your true maintenance, I'm quite sure.

For a comparison, I'm smaller than you (5'4" 110 pounds) and a lot older than you and my maintenance is 1850-1900. However like the others said you'll have to increase slowly. 50-100 calories daily for a week or two, then another 50-100 calories the next few weeks, etc..

It will eventually even itself out.
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agree. Increase with mainly veggies and some fruits.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    I agree with others, your metabolism slowed wayyyyy down. However, that is not your true maintenance, I'm quite sure.

For a comparison, I'm smaller than you (5'4" 110 pounds) and a lot older than you and my maintenance is 1850-1900. However like the others said you'll have to increase slowly. 50-100 calories daily for a week or two, then another 50-100 calories the next few weeks, etc..

It will eventually even itself out.

Thanks to those of you who are suggesting this. How do I know when I've reached maintenance if I'll be gaining some weight back though?
    Agree. Increase with mainly veggies and some fruits.

But veggies are so low calorie. I don't think I could eat an extra 600 calories of veggies daily :P
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Start reducing the processed, low-fat foods and increase your intake using the real stuff - veggies, lean proteins and good fats (in moderation) like flax, olive oil and avacados. Slowly, like most are saying - 50-100 cals per day for a few weeks, then increase it another 50-100, etc.

Best of luck.
  • Cutemisscoco
    Options
    I am trying to break the bad habit of cutting calories when I need to lose weight or trying some fad diet. I totally sympathize with you in the fact that it is hard after depriving yourself so much to see the scale creep up. I am slowly upping my calories now and trying to eat better foods overall while working out in hopes that I will keep losing. I agree with what everyone else said, as it is what I've read over and over again that eating at a higher calorie range is the best way to be managing your diet. I also agree though with adding in some vegetables and fresh fruit, not for the calories per say, but for the health benefits.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    I am trying to break the bad habit of cutting calories when I need to lose weight or trying some fad diet. I totally sympathize with you in the fact that it is hard after depriving yourself so much to see the scale creep up. I am slowly upping my calories now and trying to eat better foods overall while working out in hopes that I will keep losing. I agree with what everyone else said, as it is what I've read over and over again that eating at a higher calorie range is the best way to be managing your diet. I also agree though with adding in some vegetables and fresh fruit, not for the calories per say, but for the health benefits.

When I first started this site, sugar was one of the first things I tracked, and I felt like I was eating way too much of it. It wasn't until recently that I realized I shouldn't worry about adding sugars from fruits, and I definitely intend to add more to my daily routine. Not an insane amount, but maybe an extra orange or something.

But thanks for the tips everyone, I'm making a note of all of them. Today I upped my calories by another 75/100 for this week and I still feel a little uncomfortable about it but I'm hoping it will all even out. It's hard to imagine continuously gaining weight on 1100 calories a day :P We'll see!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are afraid of upping your calories, it's possible you developed a little bit of an ED. You have to realize that when you went VLCD, a lot of your weight loss was from muscle. This is the reason why you are 115 lbs and you still think you need to cut lower. If you would have done a slower weight loss plan, you would have a greater chance of maintain your muscle which means you need less weight loss to be fit. At this point, you will have to move and probably correct your mistakes. But I agree with others, slowly increase your calories. Realistically, once your RMR adapts and your metabolism speeds up to normal, your true maintenance calories could be more around 2400 which would align to the majority of women I know your age who are active. If you want greater definition, it's quite possible that you will need to bulk up and add the muscle back that you lost. When I say bulk, it's not like the hulk, it's a lessen extend to what the below link will show you. Bulk its just a term that means adding more muscle. To do this though, you need a surplus of calories and a good weight training program followed by a cut phase to eliminate any gained fat.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

What is your workout routine anyways? Do you lift?