Side Stiches (cramps) when running/jogging

Options
2»

Replies

• Hatchling84
    Hatchling84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    3 steps to breath out : 2 steps to breath in, if a SS occurs - apply hard pressure for about 30 seconds, You still have a ways to go, but your body will acclimate to the running. Consider it growing pains and your body is growing the ability to run. Enjoy the pain you have earned it!!!
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I have a cramp, I breathe in deeply, push my fingertips into the area of the cramp while exhaling. Not sure why but the cramp instantly goes away. Probably not the best solution but it definitely works for immediate relief.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    New studies have also shown a link with your foot fall and breathing. I can't remember if it was in Runner's World or in Women's Running that I saw that, but they linked foot fall and when you inhale/exhale to be a cause as well.

Make sure you are breathing in, and exhaling fully. Stitches are problems with the ligaments of the diaphragm. If you get a bad one, you can stop and massage it out and then continue on.

I get them sometimes, but I can feel them coming on and focus on my breathing when I sense them. That usually stops it in its tracks.

This. It helped me tremendously when I started making a conscious effort to land on my left foot when exhaling...I actually time my foot falls and get into a rhythm, breathing in and out on a certain number of steps. I used to get the stitches so bad it would still hurt days later in that same spot. The best remedy is to prevent it from happening, but if it does happen...slow down push in on your side and breathe out as hard as you can at the same time. I've heard raising your left arm over your head also helps, but haven't confirmed that.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    New studies have also shown a link with your foot fall and breathing. I can't remember if it was in Runner's World or in Women's Running that I saw that, but they linked foot fall and when you inhale/exhale to be a cause as well.

Make sure you are breathing in, and exhaling fully. Stitches are problems with the ligaments of the diaphragm. If you get a bad one, you can stop and massage it out and then continue on.

I get them sometimes, but I can feel them coming on and focus on my breathing when I sense them. That usually stops it in its tracks.

I've read this as well. The study I read said to exhale hard as your foot on the side with the stitch falls. It has been helping me, it takes about 2 or 3 foot falls then I'm good to go again.

I haven't read the study, but I have to land on my left foot or I get stitches in my right side. I have never gotten a stitch in my left side. Guess I'm just weird..lol!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Today was my first c25k day and I am so glad that cramping has already been discussed. Thanks for all the tips already mentioned here. I will be testing them out tomorrow.