Brown Rice vs White Rice....

Options
Danny_Boy13
Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
Does anyone have any studies that talk about which one is better (if one is in fact better then the other). Im looking for an actual study...not someones blog or magazine writer expressing their opinions, but an actual case study.

Replies

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I like rice.

Oh and hi Danny :wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    I like rice.

Oh and hi Danny :wink:

Howdy back there punkin,,, :happy:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Acg67!!! *Thumbs Up*
  • _crafty_
    Options

you should have told him to quit being lazy and google that *kitten* himself. :wink:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    1. Black Rice
    2. Brown Rice
    3. White Rice

in that order. I love black rice cooked with black beans in the oven with 1/2 tsp coconut or 1 tsp olive oil seasoned with no-salt seasoning, black pepper and other herbs and spices.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

you should have told him to quit being lazy and google that *kitten* himself. :wink:

Don't be rude now Crafty.... :laugh:
  • _crafty_
    Options

Bwahaha! You know I :heart: you.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

Bwahaha! You know I :heart: you.

True story... :flowerforyou:
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    So, white rice if you want the nutrients, brown rice for poopin'.

Good to know.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I like rice the same way I like my women. Love the benefits of brown, but I'm just as happy with white. I'm not picky.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    I like rice the same way I like my women. Love the benefits of brown, but I'm just as happy with white. I'm not picky.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDEQ_Zlcflz42Znd7AMZcVefj2hxVXZCZzHtOwVVdJhXOwGZwY
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Good one!