flavored waters?

derek2680
derek2680 Posts: 48 Member
Do you consider when you use things such as crystal light to flavor your water as "water"? I am hooked on this sugar free 0 cal ice tea mix. I have been logging each glass as water since that is basically what it is, but I wanted to know what other thought about this? What about the sparkling flavored water bottles from places like wal-mart?

Replies

• ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    I only count plain water. To me, adding things to it doesn't make it just water any more. Even tho OJ has water in it, I wouldn't classify it as water.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    I classify regular water, zero calorie vitamin water, crystal light ( but I only use about half the recommended powder) and watered down gatorate all as "water". Juice/soda I obivously do not count. But I think that you are getting the benefit from hydrating with all those things!
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    I sometimes put put a little bit of lemon juice in my water and still say it's water.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    I count it as water :) I use Crystal light because I hate how water tastes lol its boring to me
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    crystal light does not change the molecular structure of H2O, therefore I log it as H2O.
  • Sophiad16
    Sophiad16 Posts: 23
    I do count crystal light and added powders as "water'. Just adding a powder to water doesn't negate the fact that you're hydrating yourself. But I try to use powders and flavored waters in moderation because of the calories, artificial sweeteners, and also because most tend to stain your teeth. Everything in moderation...including moderation! ;-)
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    I only count water, or water with lemon or cucumber as water. I read somewhere and I cannot remember where, that the body does not recognize vitamin water and flavored waters of color as water.
  • I usually drink water, but once in a while I like Vitamin water zero, I pick that because it's sweetened with Stevia.
  • If it is something that is 0 or maybe 5 calories then I count it as water. If it contains calories I don't count it like regular vitamin water. I like Mio or propel. But I do try to alternate between straight and flavored waters throughout the day.
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    I count it when I drink sparkling water, like canned La Croix or Perrier. I don't ever drink the other ones because fake sugars trigger migraines for me, but I agree with the idea or counting anything under 5 calories as water intake.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    I don't really use those things because of all of the artificial sweeteners in them but if I did I would log it as water and log the packet or powder as a snack in my food diary. Plus, I believe that if I don't know what most of the ingredients on the ingredients list are, it's probably not something I need to be putting into my body. Water with lemon or water with cucumber is a great option to plain ol' water.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I only count water, or water with lemon or cucumber as water. I read somewhere and I cannot remember where, that the body does not recognize vitamin water and flavored waters of color as water.

huh???:huh:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member

??? Your body is not a water snob. Some drinks may have chemicals or additives in them that will cause other reactions in your body, but if you put water in your body, it will use it regardless of what type of glass/can/bottle it comes out of or what color/flavor it is.