Banana anyone?

Options

Replies

• pattycakes1978
    pattycakes1978 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting all the great info about my favorite fruit. I love bananas so much that on my weekly grocery shopping trip I buy one bunch ready to eat and one bunch green. My co-workers like to tease me about how many I eat but I really have always loved them.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't eat bananas is because I'm letting them super ripen to make banana bread or banana ice cream.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Not to rain on the nutritional value but the tyramine in them can cause migraines. http://www.headaches.org/pdf/Diet.pdf - I still eat them anyways because I get leg cramps too.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    VERY interesting! Thanks for sharing!
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the devil's advocate here but I have two qualms with this: First, bananas are actually readily recommended by doctors for patients with diarrhea as it can actually help slow the movement of food through the bowels. While your statement does mention that it helps regulate, maybe it would be more accurate to include an indication for diarrhea and vomiting, as opposed to constipation. Second, milk/dairy should never be recommended as a hangover cure. Dairy protein is actually much harder for the body to digest than most people realize and a stomach that is already compromised (by, say, a hangover) will have an even harder time digesting it. I have no other arguments against any of the other statements. I would like to also add, however, that one of the compounds present in very ripe bananas has been linked to migraine's in people already prone to migraines.

Just my two sense from my research and personal experience over the past several years.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Listen, I eat a banana every day and nevertheless recently fell into a deep depression and developed some sort of thing where my foot cramps up in horrible pain if I walk more than 600 feet. How many bananas do I have to eat? You know what actually makes me feel good? Sausage and biscuits. Seriously, I ate sausage and biscuits last night and not only was I less depressed, I felt great physically, took an amazing dump and woke up early in the morning. I am not being sarcastic - all of the above is 100% true. Ok, so I also doubled my meds, but I swear it was the sausage and biscuits.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i love em....but growing up....my mom...who is the biggest fan of bananas i have ever seen, would buy literally bunches and bunches of them until all who entered our home had this strange look on their faces like...." are you in the banana business???"

It was at least 5 years after i left home before i ate a banana.

i think it may be hereditary...since ive started buying them...more....and more and MOARRRR

tumblr_m9j3mzc3pI1rt2pbh.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYJpgGsvX1pNPpk4bdXqgYvIf0BrL4_qCOTR_Hg96GD4nr7NFJ

shia-labeouf-eating-banana%20(816).jpg
    shia-labeouf-coachella-02.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Were you paid by Chiquita to post this?

Seriously, though, I love my 'nanas!
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I saw this being posted on Facebook...
  • agtapia09
    agtapia09 Posts: 94
    Options
    I eat a banana almost everyday. Sometimes even two :heart: :heart:
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I love Bananas!
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

ANEMIA:
    High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

A medium banana contains .22 mg of iron, which is less than 2% of the daily recommended value for women. Since we're comparing apples to bananas at the end of the post saying that they have 5x the amount of an apple, it's worth noting that a medium apple contains .31 mg of iron. Basic math shows that the apple has a higher iron content. Not that it matters, since the iron contained in apples and bananas is non-heme iron and has a lower absorption than iron from other sources.
    CONSTIPATION:
    High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Bananas are also recommended to harden bowel movements and have been known to cause constipation.

When you compare it to an apple, it has FOUR TIMES the protein, TWICE the carbohydrate, THREE TIMES the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals.. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A BANANA a day keeps the doctor away!'

1% of vitamin a versus 2% is not five times.

While some of the information is true and yes, bananas are good for you, this post contains a ton of bro math.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I saw this being posted on Facebook...

That's where I saw it, just thought I'd share it :happy:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No way. Just two bananas put me over my sugar goal for the day.

SAY NO TO BANANAS.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use bananas as a substitute to margarine/butter in baking.....

OOO I like the sound of this! How much do you use? I'm all about the nanners! They are great for my RLS and a "prepackaged" "Preportioned" food!!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I thought bananas caused belly fat.

1) I thought eating too many calories caused belly fat.
    2) Let's not pretend bananas are bad for you. If you don't like them, fine. There are also things the cleanest eater eats that are worse for you than a dang banana. LOL. Yes, there are a bazillion other things lower in carbs and sugars. If you want something comparable in texture/moisture content for a protein shake or baked good, use pumpkin for lower carbs and sugar.
    3) Other good cures for a hangover: V8 juice. Or take preventative measures and take vitamin B before drinking.

Thanks for the info, OP. :)
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I ate a banana every day for so many years that I haven't been able to face the suckers for a while. I should get into the habit.

And for carrying you can get Banaboxes and cheap knockoffs too that are special shaped holders for toting.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is banana egg pancakes-sooo good!
    1-2 large eggs
    1-2 bananas
    2tbsp butter, one for frying pan, one to top pancakes

optional-cinnamon, vanila extract, pumpkin spice etc

Mash banana/s. Fork whisk eggs. Mix together and let sit a few minutes

Melt butter in fry pan and cook pancakes on medium-making sure they set well before flipping.

Serve with butter. Will have the consistency between a pancake and crepe