Detox...pros and cons

Options
ergumm
ergumm Posts: 82 Member
I just don't seem to be losing and someone stated that doing a detox usually boosts their metabolism. I am at the point where I will try anything! Even starvation! I would love to hear the pros and cons of doing a detox, and if you have done a detox, what kind did you do, where can I get it, and how did it effect your weight?

Replies

• bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you can pull up the "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" video on the Dr. Oz Website - it discusses detox at length.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    There is no pros...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I just don't seem to be losing and someone stated that doing a detox usually boosts their metabolism. I am at the point where I will try anything! Even starvation! I would love to hear the pros and cons of doing a detox, and if you have done a detox, what kind did you do, where can I get it, and how did it effect your weight?

When they made this statement to you, did they also provide you with some scientific research to peruse that supported their assertion? Probably not, that's what I call bro-science.

A detox is a generic term that means little. It also won't fix an absent caloric deficit.

I did a "detox/cleanse" juice thing for a few days, I felt excellent, didn't lose any weight, but got me to change how I was eating, and reaffirmed to me mentally that food isn't that important, and that I can live without it for a time if I chose to. :) However, it also reminded me of the almost carnally delightful feeling of biting and chewing through meat. (It was basically 3 or 4 days of replacing food with juices. I enjoyed it.)
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    There is no pros...
    Actually Tyler, if you pay them, they're pros...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    If you can pull up the "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" video on the Dr. Oz Website - it discusses detox at length.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    There is no pros...

Oh.
    YOU'RE SO SMART!
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    There is no pros...
    [
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    There is no pros...
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    There is no pros...
    Oh-you-93067263235.jpeg
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Dr Oz....Run for the hills!! :sad:
    OP, there is no pro's to "detox" - any weight you will lose will be water.....and you will probably binge afterwards because you starved yourself...
    What are you doing for exercise?
    Open your diary, maybe we can help....
  • Sav_Sky
    Sav_Sky Posts: 82
    Options
    The fat sick and nearly dead is on netflix too. I dont know if I would go the entire length of what the man did but he looked amazing to the point where he was glowing when he was done.
  • Sav_Sky
    Sav_Sky Posts: 82
    Options
    The fat sick and nearly dead movie, the guy definately did not just lose water weight. One man in the video was about to die because he was so unhealthy and it saved his life.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The fat sick and nearly dead is on netflix too. I dont know if I would go the entire length of what the man did but he looked amazing to the point where he was glowing when he was done.

BatmanCleanse_zpsddc6079b.jpg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

If Dr Oz endorses it, run for your life.

tumblr_mjhnunujej1qeeuo4o2_500.gif
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The fat sick and nearly dead movie, the guy definately did not just lose water weight. One man in the video was about to die because he was so unhealthy and it saved his life.

The dude was like 400lbs and veggies aren't calorically dense. He probably wasn't even hitting 1500-2000 calories per day.
    He could have had the same results eating anything.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The pros of detox...The people that are able to professionaly sell/market detox and detox products and make money off it.

The cons of detox...The people that are able to professionaly sell/market detox and detox products and make money off it.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1100 calories a day almost every day will really wreck your metabolism. Give your body a little more fuel to work with and things should level out. Please take care of yourself! I don't know how you have the energy to get up off the couch let alone work out. :smile:

Take good care of your body, like you take good care of your family.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Detox means a lot of things, if you are talking about:
    A. buying products or extreme juicing or fad detox diet ALL CONS!

B. removing processed crap from your diet, making an effort to eat whole foods, get your carbs and sugars from fruits and vegetables, then PROS include feeling better, clearer skin, energy, eventual handle on sugar and carb cravings, etc. Hope that helps? When I say im doing a "detox" what I usually mean is a smoothie for breakfast (fruit + vegetable + almond milk + healthy fat), a salad for lunch, nuts for snack, and protein and veggies for dinner. Helps me get back on track esp after a binge (Zaxbys binge sunday - SO RUDE!)
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :noway:

The only people who should 'detox' are drug addicts and alcoholics