Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Yoga burn

Has anyone used an HRT during their ashtanga or vinyasa classes? If so, what was your estimated burn?

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    I use my HRM whenever I am doing ashtanga or vinyasa or Body Weight Yoga. For a half hour I always average about 130-150 burned depending on the class. Of course this varies with each class :)
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Has anyone used an HRT during their ashtanga or vinyasa classes? If so, what was your estimated burn?

Doing ashtanga tonight, I'll let you know!
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Holy Bookworm! Wicked profile pic! Congrats to you!!

I do yoga a few times a week and although some days can be pretty chill (and more mentally challenging) days like today I sweat my butt off and put in serious work lol.
    I often wonder if I'm burning much more than the MFP calculation...but I bought a HRM to figure this out and returned it 3 days later because I didn't have patience or desire to figure the sucker out.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    I use my HRM whenever I am doing ashtanga or vinyasa or Body Weight Yoga. For a half hour I always average about 130-150 burned depending on the class. Of course this varies with each class :)

So at minimum if you took and hour and a half class you would see 390 minus some b/c of shavasana?
  • mycupyourcake
    bump.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    1) HRM is useless for yoga. Any number is says will be completely random. That said, the number they do give are a good enough random number to put down for any log.

2) You do yoga for reasons other than calorie burn. If you want calorie burn, then do very intense cardio + lift really heavy.
  • mycupyourcake
    @phjorg: I do yoga b/c I love it, but I still would like to know what kind of calorie burn people are coming up with. Thanks.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member

So at minimum if you took and hour and a half class you would see 390 minus some b/c of shavasana?

I've always burned around 200-220 for a one hour class. And I stop my HRM as soon as we are preparing for Savasana. Keep in mind that like all exercise, the calories burned vary quite a bit with each person because of weight, etc :)