Scientific 7 minute workout?

Options
Have you guys heard of this? I thought it might be interesting to try out along with my workout. I don't see how 7 minutes can burn enough calories to make a major difference. Unless of course, this somehow boosts the afterburn affect and increases your basal metabolic rate. Here's the article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

Replies

• HalloweenNinja
    Options
    Read this section of the HIIT Wikipedia article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Procedure

From what I understand, nearly all HIIT workouts - including the one in your NYTimes article - work in very similar ways. If anything, that 7 minute workout looks even less intense than the three examples listed in the Wikipedia article. For example, if you're already in good shape and the whole point of the workout is it requires nothing more than a chair and a wall, how could you make a wall sit or a planche more "intense"?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's basically like a finisher or metabolic workout that i'd do at the end of a lifting session. the deal it's supposed to raise your metabolism for the next 48 hours (because of EPOC and/or glycogen depletion). and yeah, that one looks too easy.
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump. This sounds interesting.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    For example, if you're already in good shape and the whole point of the workout is it requires nothing more than a chair and a wall, how could you make a wall sit or a planche more "intense"?

In general, one of the strengths of any regimen that has minimum REQUIREMENTS, such as this one, is that it can be added onto or tweaked over time to make it more intense. If you feel it's too easy, you can pick up some books or grab some dumbbells. There really isn't much here you can't do with weights.

For example, I do "bodyweight" exercises for the majority of my workouts, but I often will put on a vest or add some form of additional weight to add to the challenge. (Yes, it violates the "bodyweight" principle somewhat, but you'll never hear me complaining of someone hogging the weights, doing curls in the squat rack, the gym not having what I want, or not having time to get to the gym, because all I really need is some floor space.)
  • smed116
    smed116 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do you log it as exercise into the tracker? I tried to enter 30 seconds of jumping jacks, but looks like 5 minutes is the minimum...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I use this as a morning warm up and it can be as intense as you want. For example, planks with tight glutes are harder than just up on your elbows.

Plus, you can repeat 2 or 3 times if the first set is not enough. It's a good travel routine.

This infograph explains it better: http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/047/746/i02/7-minute-workout-130515c-02.jpg?1368633280
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    saving for later :)