Pregnant and trying to stay fit

Options
Well, I started the new year off Ok... Losing some weight but more importantly working out regularly.
Until I got pregnant... My hubby and I are so excited but with the joys came morning sickness and
complete exhaustion. So for the last 3 months I have been on the couch with the only exercise spent
running to the bathroom.
Does anyone have recommendations for calories and what exercise programs I might be able to do safely?
Of course I will talk it all over with the doc but I need some ideas. I'm not supposed to do anything that crunches
The abdomen for sure. But other than that... Ideas?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Walking is always a safe and healthy option and you should be able to do that (albeit more and more slowly as you get bigger) until you're full term. Swimming is good too but I found the lack of buoyancy as I got bigger unnerving. And as much as you may not feel like it, exercise helps hugely with the feeling of tiredness and nausea. Now that you're into you're second trimester you should start to feel much better so make the most of the opportunity to stay fit and healthy.

As far as calories go, its best you talk to your doctor. however, the literature says you should only just now be looking to increase your calories - I believe it's something like 400 extra per day in the second trimester and 800 in the third, less if you're overweight to start with.

Good luck.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :)

My roommate loved her prenatal yoga classes while she was pregnant. Have you considered signing up for one?

If you are having trouble keeping food down right now, you may want to take a break from counting calories. Make sure you're eating healthy and focus on getting through the morning sickness :)
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did spin throughout my entire pregnancy up until the day my daughter was born. It's great cardio and strength for abs and legs and it's low impact. I gained 35 lbs during the pregnancy, which is exactly on target so I can't imagine what I would have gained if I had not been working out. I also gained about 80% of the weight in my last 3 months. I understand about the exhaustion, I took a three hour nap every day during my first trimester but it went away by the end of the 3rd month. My recommendation is to keep working out and don't use the pregnancy as a free for all to eat anything you want and stop exercising. As hard as it is to stay on track while you're pregnant, it's a million times harder once the baby is here (you have not felt exhaustion until you have had your first month with a newborn :). So stay on track now so you don't pay for it later. Good luck!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a healthy, low risk pregnancy, you should be able to participate in most aerobic activities but you will have to work your way up to them and listen to your body. Calorie needs would best be answered by your doc since it will depend a lot on whether you are normal weight, underweight, or overweight.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Walking is always a safe and healthy option and you should be able to do that (albeit more and more slowly as you get bigger) until you're full term. Swimming is good too but I found the lack of buoyancy as I got bigger unnerving. And as much as you may not feel like it, exercise helps hugely with the feeling of tiredness and nausea. Now that you're into you're second trimester you should start to feel much better so make the most of the opportunity to stay fit and healthy.

As far as calories go, its best you talk to your doctor. however, the literature says you should only just now be looking to increase your calories - I believe it's something like 400 extra per day in the second trimester and 800 in the third, less if you're overweight to start with.

Good luck.

Oh no!! That's way to much! It's only 100 more cals the first trimester, 200 more the second and 300 more cals the last trimester. It's really not a lot.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I gave birth 2 month ago, so I can tell you what I did. I was in good shape prior to pregnancy so I just kept doing the same thing at first. i ran until 10 weeks, then I got too out of breath. I did Brazil Butt lift, Turbofire, Lindsay Brin's pregnancy workouts and during the last trimester I did some Youtube video's (Search for Dr.Cathy, I LOVE her workouts, short and sweet).
    I didn't have morning sickness because i had acupuncture every other week for all the pregnancy. Overall, I did hundreds of squats and lunges which prepared my body properly for an amazing natural water birth! Good luck!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yoga makes me feel so good! I'm definitely planning to keep doing it when I get pregnant (and conveniently there is a prenatal yoga class right before my current class!)

My doc just said don't start anything new while pregnant that is more difficult that what I'm currently doing, I would probably suggest that since you didn't do much in your first trimester that you stick to pretty low intensity low impact stuff now, and very gradually work up to a bit harder (but not much!) if you can.

I have a friend that played soccer til she was 6 months along (not recommended) and one that ran in half marathons til that point, but those are people that were doing a ton before. My best friend is currently pregnant and she just tries to make sure she walks every day (she has dogs so that helps get her motivated) but she doesn't do any cardio stuff. It's her first so she's being very safe, which I think is good.

Congratulations!
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options

Good luck.

Oh no!! That's way to much! It's only 100 more cals the first trimester, 200 more the second and 300 more cals the last trimester. It's really not a lot.

Actually it's 500 calories in the 2nd and third trimester. At least thats what my professor (with PhD in nutrition) taught in my nutrition class where we talked about pregnancy, while I was working to get my nutrition degree.