Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Crazy Cravings --help!

While I'm on this new way of learning to eat better, my husband and son are not. Because of that, things like ramen noodles and vienna sausages come into the house at times. Not often, but they are something my son (20 yr old) likes to snack on now and then. Normally, those things repulse me but lately, instead of sweet, my brain tells me I want this stuff. Other than a bite of vienna sausage once or twice, I've resisted. I have to watch my sodium intake due to high blood pressure so giving in to that craving is not a great idea. Any ideas of snacks that could steer me away from the MSG laden stuff? Any idea of what is causing this weird craving?

Replies

• You body and mind could have shifted what you now crave. I always enjoy a tall glass of water to fill me up good and slowly suck down some chocolate milk...yum! Now if you are craving something salty I am not sure what you could have since you are watching your sodium pretty close.
  • RickyLuvsMary4ever
    RickyLuvsMary4ever Posts: 56 Member
    Your craving could be raring it's ugly head because you are feeling deprived and just want to eat what everyone else is eating.

Try to see those processed foods for what they really are, not fit for anyone to eat at any time! I stopped eating those types of foods even when I was a food addict, choose whole foods over processed foods.

You can have your good snacks around the house waiting for you, the type of snacks you can feel good about eating like fruit, no salt pretzels, crunchy carrots or celery. Snacks that feed your body not just the taste buds.

I also keep single serving snacks around the house, if all else fails I chew some minty gum to throw my taste buds out of wack.
  • angiela724
    angiela724 Posts: 5
    I like the gum suggestion and have used that at times...plus it keeps your mouth busy so you maybe don't feel the need to snack. One thing I've found has been a good snack for me (has 530 mg sodium....) is Turkey Pepperoni. String cheese is also a good snack option (at 140 mg sodium). Weight Watchers brand has some good flavors! Sugar Snap Peas (5 mg sodium) is another fave. I do also eat a lot of fruit and veggies and am always looking for new snack ideas because I'm a snacker!! That's one thing I need to work on. Anyway, if you want more ideas, I'd be happy to share mine with you! Add me as a friend if you're interested!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    thank you all for helping me on this. I like the snack ideas. Another idea I thought of when I saw someone's food diary is baked garbanzo beans, maybe flavored with a little garlic powder.