Ah Ha! Moment

jessicajoy87
jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay for the past month I have been really struggling to stay on track. I was thinking about why was I doing so good then all of a sudden I am doing horrible. I realized every time that I am looking forward to something I just can't seem to diet. Before my wedding I couldn't diet and before I went to go see my family in Maryland I could not stay on a diet. Now we are going to Colorado next month and I cannot stick to a diet. It seems that moments of excitement in my life really effect me and dieting.

How do you guys overcome eating because of nerves, stress, emotions, etc...... I would really like to lose 15 lbs by the time we go to Colorado in July.

Replies

• Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Stress and excitement always effects my eating! I eat more when I am having a good time and happy, and too little when I am stressed. One thing that has helped me overcome issues is that I pre-plan what I will eat for the day. I did it when I was on WW and do it now from time to time if I see myself slipping. In the evening I get my foods ready for the next day (at least what I will take to work), and I PUT THEM IN MY TRACKER that evening or the next morning, BEFORE THE DAY STARTS. Knowing exactly what and how much I will eat and having it written out for me helps to keep me on track.

Knowing where you are going astray is a good part of the battle too.

You could also up your excercise every day to account for the extra calories and to release some of your pent up excitement. :)
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Please take this in the spirit it is offered:

You need to stop thinking of this as a diet. This is your new life. There is no going back. You are not just eating correctly so you can lose some weight and then go back to what you were doing (eating, laying around on the couch) before.

This is your commitment to your new life, you must want it or you would not be here. Lay out your meals, plan everything that goes into your mouth and stop finding excuses to be bad. You are the only one around when you put that food on your plate. Only you can change you...

Just DO IT!!! And stop planning to fail and just start planning!!
  • jessicajoy87
    Please take this in the spirit it is offered:

You need to stop thinking of this as a diet. This is your new life. There is no going back. You are not just eating correctly so you can lose some weight and then go back to what you were doing (eating, laying around on the couch) before.

This is your commitment to your new life, you must want it or you would not be here. Lay out your meals, plan everything that goes into your mouth and stop finding excuses to be bad. You are the only one around when you put that food on your plate. Only you can change you...

Just DO IT!!! And stop planning to fail and just start planning!!

I understand that it is a life style change but when ever I think about changing my ife I feel so overwhelmed! I start thinking I can never eat what ever when ever again?

But I know that is what I have to do but I feel like I don't really know how. I have a big problem making up my mind. I'll try to plan meals out. I'm not very good at that either. Nothing changes if nothing changes, right?
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    You can plan, put together, and cook healthier meals for yourself.

Look for some:

Easy mains:
    3 egg white/1 egg yolk omellette, light cheese.
    Or
    Tuna fish or Chicken salad (add some mustard, pickle relish, mircale whip, salt and pepper) mix. I add hard boiled egg white, shredded carrots, chives, cucumbers.
    Or
    skinless, boneless chicken breast, butterfly them, herb them up and broil them about 4 minutes on a side in the oven.
    Or
    About 4 or 6 ozs. of Talipa or salmon (not breaded), pan sear in a pan on the stove top about 4 minutes a side, (use PAM spray).
    Or
    Nice lean piece of Beef (filet mignon, or other) rub it up with some spices (broil to 135 degrees internal temp for medium/medium rare) let rest (out of stove) 5 minutes

Sides:
    Steamed veggies (any thing you like: little baby carrots, asperagus, califlower, etc...) 5 minutes should do it
    Grilled or roasted veggies (oven roasted)
    Canned black, butter, pinto, kidney, etc... beans
    nice side salad (low fat dressing)

Snack:
    I love an apple sliced up dipped in 1 TBSP of melted peanut butter (yummo!!)

Leftover grilled chicken goes great over a green salad the next day. as does the talapia or salmon (instant lunch).

Use the internet you can find tons of healthy recipes to keep you going

Think low calories high protein. Keep some protein in every meal and snack you have.

Log everything you put in your mouth no matter how bad.

Drink more water.

GET CRACKIN!!
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    I understand that it is a life style change but when ever I think about changing my ife I feel so overwhelmed! I start thinking I can never eat what ever when ever again?

Of course you will be able to eat "what ever when ever " you want to again. The key is changing what you want!
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    and not eating whatever and whenever daily. Save it for special occasions! You have to live life and enjoy it too, just don't go hog wild on a daily basis. Good luck!
  • You should be happy with yourself. Think of if you were me, I just felt my chin and discovered I think I am starting a beard! WHERE are the tweezers?
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member

Are these special occasions/events that you are referring to also deadlines to you for weight loss? It may not be the excitement of the occasion giving you problems, but rather the overwhelming feeling of an unrealistic goal.

Try giving yourself one small goal at a time. Instead of loosing 15 pounds by July (which is a whole lot for 4 weeks!!), try a goal of loosing 4 pounds over the next 2 weeks. It makes it seem more attainable in your mind and less overwhelming.
  • jessicajoy87

Are these special occasions/events that you are referring to also deadlines to you for weight loss? It may not be the excitement of the occasion giving you problems, but rather the overwhelming feeling of an unrealistic goal.

Try giving yourself one small goal at a time. Instead of loosing 15 pounds by July (which is a whole lot for 4 weeks!!), try a goal of loosing 4 pounds over the next 2 weeks. It makes it seem more attainable in your mind and less overwhelming.

I agree with you. I know that I am making to large of goals for myself. I wish it was just a snap of the finger and you are where you are supposed to be.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the love!
This discussion has been closed.