Movie Theater Snacks?

Options
2»

Replies

• joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think making your own popcorn (seasoned with spices/herbs - or even just salted, if you're not too worried about your sodium intake) is a great option. Either that or take a bag of nuts (cashews, brazil nuts, monkey nuts etc). If it's just for the sake of chewing something, how about just chewing some sugar-free gum?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    We go to the Movies once or twice a month.. This is a lifestyle so if I want the popcorn then I work it into my calories and enjoy it.... Best of Luck...... :drinker:
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    Regal Entertainment Group, the largest movie theater chain in the country, also provides the largest disaster in move theater popcorn. It pops in coconut oil, which is 90 percent saturated. I encourage you to move your cardiologist's phone number to your speed dial before the lights go down. AMC, the nation's second-largest chain, also pops in coconut oil.

Cinemark, my favorite, deserves some applause. The nation's third largest chain pops in non-hydrogenated canola oil instead of coconut. My significant other and I share the tub with no butter, and we sneak in our drink. The free refill on the popcorn comes in handy at times.

Due to the cardboard material and its wider opening, the tub has the added benefit of not being noisy. It's furthermore beyond me why people voluntarily choose to be ripped off by purchasing the small sizes, some of which are requested with butter.

man, if i still ate corn i would be super happy to hear about this coconut oil business! oh well. at least i won't be as upset when my husband eats it :)
  • ChristineHeusinger
    ChristineHeusinger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bring Pirates Booty in a zip lock bag. I don't even miss the popcorn when I have my Booty!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I never have snacks at the movies even if not trying to lose weight - there is nothing worse than watching a movie to the sound of people munching loudly. And I see poeple with HUGE trays of food and drink - who then have to go to the bathroom halfway through ebcause they've ahd a fire-bucket full of Coke. Eat before you go, or watch a DVD at home.

And especially don't bring in huge bacgs of nachos to a quiet movie.

And turn off your phone.

Can you guess I don't like poeple eating in the movies? :grumble:
    LOL I'm the same way! Nothing worse than someone scratching in the bottom of their popcorn bucket, or shaking skittles out of a box into their mouth during a quiet scene in the movie! :tongue: I can't stand cell phones or movie "narrators" who audibly point out the obvious or quote the lines with the actors, either! I'm a mid-week, first show of the day movie goer! LOL
  • passionflwr1
    passionflwr1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I recently popped a 100-calorie bag of popcorn right before leaving the house and used my bigger purse to sneak it in, with a bottle of water. I will definitely be doing this often! ;)
    Between their prices and everything being so unnecessarily healthy, I just can't get bring myself to buy something there.
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me its usually Tuesday on the rare occasion I go to the theater and I go to the first show of the day so I don't have to deal with crowds and rudeness, One of the good things about working nights, I can go grocery shopping/movies, etc. while everyone else is at work. Carmike has $1 small drinks and popcorn on Tuesdays, I only go to the moves 1-3 times/year so to me this little splurge is ok and totally worth it and by going on Tuesday I make sure to stick to the smallest size because the next size up is $5 more.
  • TheWanderingLemon
    TheWanderingLemon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm really weird when it comes to movie theater snacks. When I started to go healthy I pretty much just took a small bag of baby carrots with me. Sure they crunch but I never have a problem with it. Here's a list of things I've snuck into the movies: homemade BLT sandwiches, grapes, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, oranges, pears, apple slices and natural peanut butter, deli meat, string cheese--you name it and it has probably happened. My siblings are somewhat embarrassed to go with me because of what I take with me. I don't care. Movie theater prices are astronomical enough without paying out the nose for unhealthy food. I take what I want and enjoy the heck out of it. Good luck!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Something to consider is that a movie theater shares its income from ticket purchases with the movie distributor, while it keeps all of the income from its consession stand items. If you bypass the latter by sneaking in all of your goodies, the theater may well have to close some day due to lack of revenue.
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to bring my own snacks, but get a drink at the concession stand. That was before I started on my journey to lose weight. I'm going a little later today with a friend & I'll be putting a water bottle in my purse, and probably pick up some jerky on my way there. I'm not worried about the theaters revenue. They make plenty of money from everyone else whose spending ridiculous amounts of money on their snacks. We all pay out the nose for tickets as it is, and the theater where I live is always packed. So I'm sure they're not hurting because I don't buy a bag of popcorn or a $5.00 bag of M&M's.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I sneak in stuff. Walmart is right next door to my theater :tongue: One thing that might help if you like candy is to bring a little baggie with you and put in one serving size and leave the rest of the candy in the original box in your purse. For me i usually end up eating an entire box of candy because i cant be arsed to count out exactly 37 reeses pieces while im watching a movie. By counting out a serving size and separating it in its own baggie i find i will not end up eating 3-4 servings.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I sneak my own stuff in...my own trail mix, my own drinks etc...

I simply refuse to max my credit card for a popcorn and large drink.

This right here.