Pain in the bottom of my foot :0(

Options
Katerbels
Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
Can anyone explain this to me? I have this horrible pain in my feet during exercises that comes on quick and doesn't stop the whole time! It used to happen rarely when I was doing something different like ice skating, but in the last few years anytime I try any sort of exercise the bottoms of my feet (mainly my right but sometimes left) HURTS. I think it's in my arches, and it's a strong but dull ache that just kills me. It used to happen only when I would try to run (but walking fast was always fine) but now I'm doing P90X and it even hurt during yoga. I've tried Nike, Adidas, Aasics, New Balance, Cross Training, Running, Walking...all kinds of sneakers!! My slip on Vans and Converse hurt less, but it still really hurts. Because its been happening for so long I don't think it's an injury (and actually broke my left foot a few months ago and had a LOT of X-rays taken then) so I just don't know what to do! I don't want to get discouraged, but even jumping jacks and running in place hurts now, and those are usually just the warm ups!! Anyone have this problem?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be plantar fascitis?
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I agree - been there done that! You should see a podiatrist for diagnosis then follow instructions for treatment. Well worth the $$. Good luck
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be plantar fascitis?

Sounds like it... :frown:
  • Katerbels
    Options
    :0( Oh I was so hoping it didn't have a name so I wouldn't need to see someone LOL. Thanks!!
  • StacyJCrain
    StacyJCrain Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i would see a doctor and follow their instructions. I had similar experience and ignored it and ended in the ER with the worst case of tendeonitis the doctore had seen. My entire leg was swollen and the pain was to the point I could barely walk. Definitely need to tak eit easy until you know for sure what it is.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get pain in my bottom too.

Oops, not in my foot. Sorry OP, can't help.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to cut back on your exercise to give it a chance to heal. When I had these symptoms, it took my foot a month to heal. But if it's been going on for years, I think you definitely need to see a doctor.
  • gimmecoffeeiv
    gimmecoffeeiv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You have tried a lot of different brands of shoes but do they fit correctly? And do you maybe need an insert? I had this problem when I first started running so I went and got my shoes fit. I was wearing the wrong size and got some inserts and the problem went away. I also agree with the other posters though about seeing a doctor, just in case.
  • meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis. It's horrible. You should stop high-impact exercise, start stretching your calves, hamstrings and hips every time you think of it (and especially before you get out of bed every morning), roll your foot on a tennis ball twice a day to break up any scar tissue, throw away any shoes without arch support and you should be fine. Good luck!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    does it hurt more after rest, like first thing in the morning or after you have been sitting for a long time? Can you put your weight in your heels? If no, then it defiantly sounds like Plantar Fas. Plantar Fas. has kind of a tugging feeling along the bottom of your foot and the pain can come from your heel and radiate along the bottom of your foot. Swimming is a great exercise if you have foot pain. You can also look up Plantar Fas. stretches.

However, don't just assume it is P.F. I had people tell me for a year I had PF, even though I didn't have the classic signs, but I did have arch pain. I turned out to have Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis, which also occurs near the arch, but is not heal related. It was also accompanied by pain radiating up my ankle and calf and a bone dislocating in my arch (the source of my arch pain). It took a physical therapist to diagnose and treat it.
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    It sounds very much like PF. I have had it for almost 2-3 years now. At first I thought maybe after stretching/treatment I could get back to running. Eventually it became too much for me to continue and just gave up on running. Lately I have taken on swimming, best decision I have ever made, get the same cardio workout without any pain what so ever. I still occasionally play basketball so that requires running, I often just make sure it's not more than 2-3 times a week otherwise the pain returns.

Swimming is your best friend in these cases, low impact and provides a great form of exercise when done in excess of 30 minutes (I typically swim 60-90 mins a day). Good luck OP, check with doctor first, there are some long term treatments that involve burning the fascii off and/or cutting it to relieve the pain. I hope you don't get heel spurs like I have developed, I have to live with those forever until I decide to do the surgery to remove them.
  • Katerbels
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! To answer questions: I don't have any pain in my heels, it doesn't bother me in the morning or really any other time except during certain exercises like running or jumping or some stretches. And I can walk long distances, even at a fast pace, and feel fine. I *hope* all the sneakers I've tried fit, but I honestly don't know. The last time I bought a pair of sneakers I went to the sporting goods store and spoke to a person for quite a while, he sized me and made recommendations but that's really all I know. And, like I said, I had a ton of X-rays done recently due to an unrelated (and ridiculous) injury, I've seen an Ortho and my regular Dr. all within the last few months so I am still unsure. I did speak to my Dr. about this earlier today, and she recommended I keep track of exactly what I'm doing when it hurts and when it doesn't, and obviously to not do the really intense parts that bother it more (like plyometrics) for right now, but we'll talk about it again soon. So I'm still doing workouts, but exchanging the jumping and running parts to fit me better. She thinks that if I lose a little more weight, I'll start to feel relief because of how long it's been going on. Thanks for all your suggestions!!
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    think they are right pain form ball of to heal worst fist thing in am