I don't owe it to the universe, even if it was free!

Options
Someone gave me a ton of free stuff from Panera Bread today. I'm talking bagels, pastries, breads, muffins, cinnamon rolls, and on and on.

I feel like I SHOULD eat it. Like because it was free, I owe it the universe to eat it.

That's how I FEEL, but I have control over what I DO.

So, maybe I'll make a good sandwich with some of the bread, but I can certainly choose not to eat most of it. I won't let it go to waste, though. My family can eat it in moderation, and I'll give away a bunch of it.

But I don't have to eat it just because it was free!

Just thinking out loud here. Who else has felt this way when given food? Delicious, pricey, food? :)

Replies

• Whtmask
    Whtmask Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's me! Lol. My parents always taught me to eat everything on my plate, to not let any food go to waste...the whole "children are starving in Africa..so eat your food."

I say enough's enough! I don't need to get fat just because other people are starving. I'll take reasonable portions, and if I go out to eat, I won't eat everything. It's not my fault every restaurant seems to have huge portions. *sigh* See this is why parents need to teach their children proper eating habits.

End rant.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I was given some pate de foie gras, but I'm going to eat it without restraint.:happy:
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just today. A friend from Scotland sent me and the kiddo a care package from the UK. Mostly candies. Yummy British candies. I grazed on a little, but I don't feel obligated to eat all of it. I will graze on what the child doesn't eat for weeks and therefore, always have a little treat when I feel like one.

Good for you on having willpower and perspective. So rare in this world. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Bread products freeze amazing well.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Freeze as much as you can, the PP is right it freezes well.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Why not give it to someone else who may need / want it? Do you have an eldery neighbor? Poor people you know of?
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This is something i have a bit of an ethical battole with. My dad was very poor growing up, so poor that at times his fmaily couldn't afford to feed him, or just wouldn't. He's worked so, so hard to get out of that state, and has provided me with the most wonderful father and the best childhood anyone could ask for, and because of this i HATE leaving or wasting food, it makes me feel so ungrateful. But you do get those instances, when people give you free cake and naughty things, and then i'm always torn between eating it or leaving it. If i can i'll give it away, but otherwise i'll eat it and just make sure i keep it within my daily calorie allowance, no matter how difficult that is or how little that means i eat throughout the rest of the day.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I empathize with you. My brain tries to operate against me, saying stuff like 'it's going to go to waste' etc.

I have to audibly remind myself that it will be more expensive to remain overweight (in the long run) than to waste or give away food. That seems to help.

When ever I have food in the house I feel is not suited for my current consumption, I tend to take it to the office with me. It's amazing how fast it usually goes. People love free food!
  • latepaul
    latepaul Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Argh - free food is one of my enemies. It doesn't even have to be that nice. Every week on a Friday my office does a free breakfast consisting of muffins, cakes, pastries (and some token fruit). And Fridays are typically days when many people work from home so you can - if you've a mind to - eat quite a lot of this stuff.

Now I do IF 5:2 and Friday is a non-fast day but even so I have to stop myself. They're usually not that great either. I bake better muffins myself.

Oh and I agree about the clear your plate thing. I have had to train myself to be ok with throwing out a certain amount of food. I feel guilty but at the same time my health is worth more and the food is a few pennies usually.
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that food is already wasted when it is cooked, whether you eat or not.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Where I work, there is ALWAYS all kinds of free junk food around. Candy, cookies, chips, cakes for birthdays, etc. It made things really tough when I first started counting calories. Eventually, I learned how to calorie budget, and I enjoy things in moderation. I'm not perfect, but I usually do pretty well.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    This is difficult but one that has to be conquered. I was brought up after WW2 when food in the UK was in short supply (and still on ration when I was very young) and it was a sin not to eat everything on your plate. It was also seen as an insult when eating out or at friends/relatives not to clean your plate. It's taken years to overcome, but I feel more comfortable about leaving food now, not a problem at home, and when out, a "that was lovely, but just too generous for me" does the trick.

Freeze what you can and send the rest to the starving children in Africa............ :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Someone gave me a ton of free stuff from Panera Bread today. I'm talking bagels, pastries, breads, muffins, cinnamon rolls, and on and on.

I feel like I SHOULD eat it. Like because it was free, I owe it the universe to eat it.

That's how I FEEL, but I have control over what I DO.

So, maybe I'll make a good sandwich with some of the bread, but I can certainly choose not to eat most of it. I won't let it go to waste, though. My family can eat it in moderation, and I'll give away a bunch of it.

But I don't have to eat it just because it was free!

Just thinking out loud here. Who else has felt this way when given food? Delicious, pricey, food? :)

toss it in the trash can or give it to charity ..

last year for my birthday my mom sent me a freaking whole chocolate cake....I knew if I left it in the fridge that I would eat the whole freaking thing ..so I had a bite and tossed it in the trash ...
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That's me! Lol. My parents always taught me to eat everything on my plate, to not let any food go to waste...the whole "children are starving in Africa..so eat your food."

I say enough's enough! I don't need to get fat just because other people are starving. I'll take reasonable portions, and if I go out to eat, I won't eat everything. It's not my fault every restaurant seems to have huge portions. *sigh* See this is why parents need to teach their children proper eating habits.

End rant.

Good rant!

And a little tip I have been doing for quite some time now... I ask my servers to bring a to-go box with my meal, that way when it comes out I instantly divide the portion in half and take it home for the next day. Food doesn't go to waste, I don't feel like I HAVE to overeat because it's there, and I have a meal already there for the following day... winner all the way around :wink:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Whenever people bring over chocolates and cookies as hostess gifts, I bring it to the homeless guy at the tube station. I am probably responsible for ruining his teeth.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Is there a homeless shelter near by? Or a food bank. Take it there! :-)
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    give them away! Neighbours, the homeless.... freeze them!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Exactly! It has taken me half my life to reprogram these ideas.

Here's my conclusion:

***Overeating, or eating something you shouldn't/don't want when you are already overweight and trying to lose weight, is JUST AS WASTEFUL AS TOSSING IT IN THE TRASH. How is adding unwanted fat to your body NOT as equally wasteful as throwing it out?!?! Right?!?!***

With that said, try freezing it, try giving it away, or whatever...but if you still have some left after this and it's a choice between eating it vs. tossing it out -- remember they are both EQUALLY WASTEFUL CHOICES, except one improves your health and the other does not.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    None of it is really good for you or your family (tons of sugar and refined carbs). Toss it.