How to determine calories without nutrition information?

Options
I'm wanting to try a new restaurant for me free meal, but I'm hesitant to do so because there is absolutely no nutritional information about their dishes. Any suggestion on how to determine this? It's a privately owned restaurant. This is the description given:

Double Thick Bone-In Pork Chop
Butchered, brined then cooked to temp, served with andouille
cheddar mashed potatoes and lemon pepper green beans.

Replies

• HollyBmomof3
    HollyBmomof3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I google simliar dishes at other restaurants I've been too to get an idea.
  • Cutemisscoco
    Options
    I would ask them how they cook it, baking, frying, grilling, etc. and then just search the MFP database to find the closest description. You could also maybe ask that they put any sauces on the side so you can control how much of it you have on your food.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just come as close as you can with other MFP entries. If you do that a lot, it could be a problem, but a one-off shouldn't get you too far off track.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The best you can do is guestimate. You can look up similar foods and estimate the proportions but it's difficult to be accurate about restaurant meals when it comes to actual content.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    I would never worry about 1 meal, it really means nothing in the big scheme of things.......If I had to guess I would add 1000 or so calories and your probably close enough.