According to theory... (calculations)

Options
Hi everyone :)

I hope it will be another successful day today.

I was just thinking about the terms BMR, pounds of fat, etc. So, I decided to make some calculations.

How to lose one kg (2 lbs) a week:

1 kg fat = 7000 kcal
-->1000 kcal burn every day

BMR = 1418 kcal
BMR + exercise 5-7 times = 2552 kcal to maintain weight
Kcal needed to lose weight = 2552 - 1000 = 1552 kcal.

So, according to the theory, if I'd exercise almost every day, and eat 1552 kcal, I should lose 1 kg (2lbs) of fat each week.
I'm just wondering, since it's only a theory.

Does this sound realistic/reasonable to you?

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I wouldn't base estimates from your BMR. That's for if you are just existing, not moving etc. I presume you are getting out of bed each day working etc....Working from your TDEE figure is easier. Your TDEE includes any exercise you do, so all you need to do is deduct preferred amount for fat loss. 20% is a good amount. You won't lose 2lbs a week, but judging from your profile pic you don't need to lose 2lbs a week anyway, and you will not lose 2lbs of fat weekly if you are within a normal weight range anyway. It's too aggressive and the weight you lose will not be 100% from your fat reserves anyway.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't base estimates from your BMR. That's for if you are just existing, not moving etc. I presume you are getting out of bed each day working etc....Working from your TDEE figure is easier. Your TDEE includes any exercise you do, so all you need to do is deduct preferred amount for fat loss. 20% is a good amount. You won't lose 2lbs a week, but judging from your profile pic you don't need to lose 2lbs a week anyway, and you will not lose 2lbs of fat weekly if you are within a normal weight range anyway. It's too aggressive and the weight you lose will not be 100% from your fat reserves anyway.

agreed, unless you have more than 50lbs to lose, you shouldnt be aiming for a loss of 2lbs per week.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    assuming the calculations that got you your BRM and TDEE were done correctly, and you're correctly estimating your exercise then.. yea, it's basically right going by the math. In theory, an absolutely correct TDEE that perfectly accounts for your activity level - 1000 a day would lose 7000 in a week, also known as 2 lbs on the scale.

but i don't think the body always works by straight math... i've had fluctuations that make no sense based on my tracked diet/exercise. i was undereating (w/o realizing it) and despite doing heavy exercise (easily at least 1000 k below TDEE, quite possibly more) but didn't shift a pound for two months... now i eat more and do. go figure.
  • lilalief
    lilalief Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying :)

I agree that your body doesn't function according to theory, that's why I asked. I was just wondering whether someone has lost weight according to such calculations.