'Ideal' celebrity weights below BMI of 18.5?

Options
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2325739/Is-revealing-womans-weight-taboo-Allures-decision-publish-Zoe-Saldanas-115lbs-cover-sparks-furious-debate.html

Zoe Saldana
5'7"
115 lbs
BMI - 18 (underweight)

^^This is why, with a BMI of 21, I still feel 'too heavy'. It feels ridiculous and immature to blame the media and the celebrity culture... but when I read things like this, it really doesn't help with my body image and confidence. Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for a photo to be my inspiration/goal and so I look up celebs my height, then look up their weigh and realize I'd have to lose what I wanna lose and then cut off both my legs to weigh that little
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All the celebrities either lie about their weights a bit or have it be completely made up by magazines. I'd go by measurements if they're available, or just add 5-10 to the figure they give.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2325739/Is-revealing-womans-weight-taboo-Allures-decision-publish-Zoe-Saldanas-115lbs-cover-sparks-furious-debate.html

Zoe Saldana
    5'7"
    115 lbs
    BMI - 18 (underweight)

^^This is why, with a BMI of 21, I still feel 'too heavy'. It feels ridiculous and immature to blame the media and the celebrity culture... but when I read things like this, it really doesn't help with my body image and confidence. Does anyone else feel this way?

Before I had my daughter, 7 years ago, my BMI was 18 and I weighed 128lb and am the same height as this person. What tht says to me is its all rubbish anyway, just go with a healthy weight for your body.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

Zoe Saldana
    5'7"
    115 lbs
    BMI - 18 (underweight)

no. and i can only go by my own experiences with my self. comparing to other people's progress or photos is pointless.
    they have different body type, less muscle, personal trainers, on call chefs. etc.

no. hell no.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    All the celebrities either lie about their weights a bit or have it be completely made up by magazines. I'd go by measurements if they're available, or just add 5-10 to the figure they give.

Good idea on checking the measurements, will look for that now!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Zoe Saldana
    5'7"
    115 lbs
    BMI - 18 (underweight)

no. and i can only go by my own experiences with my self. comparing to other people's progress or photos is pointless.
    they have different body type, less muscle, personal trainers, on call chefs. etc.

no. hell no.

THIS!!! Do I see pics of hot celebrities and wish I could look like that? Sometimes, yes, because I have 100 lbs to lose and am extremely self critical. But I see ANY thin, healthy girls in public and feel that way. Honestly, when I wasn't doing anything about my weight it triggered more anger and jealousy than it does now. Now that I am working on a healthier me, and BECOMING a healthier me, it motivates me. In a different way though. While it is good to aim for health and strength, it is dangerous and self-defeating to aim to have someone else's body. Comparing yourself to a body type or weight and stats that are completely unrealistic for you is pointless.

Zoe Saldana is a beautiful woman. Her BMI and whether or not her weight is healthy for her is not my business, and that's not what the magazine was aiming to address. Now had the cover read something like "Zoe Saldana: Eat this and do this to get her 115 lb figure" I would have a problem there.

I am 5'11'', and 280 lbs. So for me to compare myself to 5'7'' 115 lb Zoe Saldana would be ridiculous. I am not her. I can, however, compare myself to the 5'11'' 175 lb healthy and happier version of me that I am aiming for. It paints a completely different picture - one that I can achieve and work towards in a healthy, completely non self-destructive way.

Whereas I do believe that the media places a LOT of pressure on looking a certain way, I don't believe we should go in the complete opposite direction and make every woman who weighs under 130 lbs taboo. That would suck for petite women everywhere. It's funny how a lot of women are perfectly fine with Adele (who I love btw) being on the cover of a magazine and will even make comments about how refreshing it is to see a "real woman" portrayed, not realizing that even Adele's picture was treated with photoshop. Women who are 115 lbs are just as real, and turning the tables on them just to make us feel better about ourselves is not the solution. Learning to love ourselves, and only aiming for a healthier version of OURSELVES is. Also, educating the public on just how heavily a lot of these pictures are photoshopped...here's a GREAT thread on that:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/982475-this-is-a-photoshop-signed-a-graphic-artist-with-pics

*ETA: and, not to sound harsh, but why even go check for measurements? WHO CARES? Her body is not yours, and chances are, comparing your measurements to hers is only going to put you in a bad state of mind. You want to compare your measurements, start measuring and comparing monthly as you change your body. Much more uplifting and productive, IMHO. :flowerforyou:
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't a perfect measure anyway. I wouldn't focus too much on it. Just look at your body.
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    im beginning to look ok but my bmi is 27ish no way can i be 18 lol
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I guess I've never looked to celebrities for inspiration. I don't know them nor make anywhere near as much money as they do ;) I have to say I look more to those around me who look healthy and are active and want to know THEIR secrets and be like them. The secret?? It takes work!

Look closer to home to 'real' people who can help you on the track you need to be on. Celebrities are in another entire world from most of us.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    blah.....
    She has no bewbies. lol

I would rather weigh more and have bewbies.
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH !!!! I HATE BMI !!! Seriously I think its an outdated mode of gauging a persons weight. It should be banned.

Ive lost about nearly 2 stone over the last 2 years, I have done it via exercise and changing my attitude to food. I took a BMI test and it said at the time i was overweight, I have to say i didnt look massive, but I knew i had a few extra pounds on me, so chose to sort myself out.

2 years later and im still 5ft lol, but 9 stone 6, i train 5 + times a week and eat a healthy balanced diet. I can honestly say, there is only a slight wobble on my stomach and thighs. I really dont have that must excess of anything anymore. I was feeling good!! THEN for some stupid reason I thought lets check out my BMI, I WISH I HADNT DONE IT, BECAUSE IT WAS AN INSTANT DOWNER. From looking in the mirror five minutes before and feeling fit healthy and slim, I became obese in my eyes.

The lovely BMI calculator advised me to lose another 1 stone 6 pounds to reach my ideal weight. Gutted!!! I actually think this is rediculous, as i dont look fat and dont have much fat, people keep saying how lovely and slim i look etc etc. Im so angry at myself right now for using this stupid tool as it made me feel like crap, when i shouldnt.

Please dont look at the BMI is proper pants lol, and as for skinny celebrities, who cares, its mostly airbrushed anyway. AND they all look the same sat on a toilet hahahahahaha! :wink:
  • confetti_blind
    Options
    @ aliann, thank you! Just spent ages reading the photoshop thread. It was fascinating. I think I needed a sense check today and your reply definitely helped!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    She has always been very tiny. It's pretty bad people have to shame her body for being too skinny to make themselves feel better for being larger. smh.

People just never stop with the body shaming here. And I agree with the airbrushing comment funkythreads2 made. Celebrity photos are photoshopped to make them look thinner than they are. And commercials and movies have incredible post-processing done to them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and used to be 105-115 lbs up until my mid to late 20s.

My lean mass alone is about 110 pounds now. There's no way I could EVER weigh under 120 now, and you know what? I don't give a damn. I'm healthier now. I feel better now. I'm stronger now. I think I look better now. Yeah, I'm not as slender as the average movie star, but it's not my JOB to look good on screen.

Here's the same costume when I was 110 pounds at 19, and around 135-ish at 40. So even though I weigh significantly more, I'm still close enough to the same size to still fit in that costume. Heck, I'm currently around 140 and wearing the same clothes I wore when I was 125 in Oct 2011, before I started seriously lifting weights. Screw the damn scale and anyone who thinks your weight matters.

jeanie-copy.jpg

Here's a poopload of photos at different weights: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days
  • confetti_blind
    Options

My lean mass alone is about 110 pounds now. There's no way I could EVER weigh under 120 now, and you know what? I don't give a damn. I'm healthier now. I feel better now. I'm stronger now. I think I look better now. Yeah, I'm not as slender as the average movie star, but it's not my JOB to look good on screen.

Here's the same costume when I was 110 pounds at 19, and around 135-ish at 40. So even though I weigh significantly more, I'm still close enough to the same size to still fit in that costume. Heck, I'm currently around 140 and wearing the same clothes I wore when I was 125 in Oct 2011, before I started seriously lifting weights. Screw the damn scale and anyone who thinks your weight matters.

jeanie-copy.jpg

Here's a poopload of photos at different weights: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days

You look incredible now! I would never have thought you weigh more now than before
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It is rare for me to see a female celebrity and actually feel they are inspiring in that way, or want to be like them.
    They usually don't have enough curves, muscle, definition, or are not even the same body type as me.

I too, am going to be in the best shape of my life within a year. More definition, muscle, endurance, than I've ever had.
    A great back side, and yes, i'll weigh much more than anyone would expect. While still being sustainable for years,
    because i'll be doing what I love.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Zoe Saldana
    5'7"
    115 lbs
    BMI - 18 (underweight)

BMI is a garbage stat IMO as it does not account for muscle mass...according to BMI I am "obese" but I have 12% body fat ...go figure LOL ..just ignore it...
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't ever look to celeb's for inspiration because truth be known i don't really view them as your usual average joe. They pay for chefs to come in and cook meals, they have oodles of money to throw at personal trainers and gym gear, They usually have nannys and cleaners to do day to day jobs. The pictures we see of them are more often then not air brushed to take off several inches. I think they are the reason people develop eating disorders trying to attain something thats impossible or near impossible to be reached by an average person.

Just my take on things. I also don't really agree with BMI being a proper healthy measurement of health. There are tall ladies out there with stunning, healthy figures who's bmi say they are obese, same applies to athletes and in essence an obese athlete... Really??

Yeah use it as a guideline maybe but i think muscle to body fat ratio is a better method of measurement for accuracy and health.

My motto now is.. Why aim to be like someone else. Makes more sense to aim to be yourself... a version that you have worked hard for and are happy with. Maybe everyone should set about their own photos with an airbrush and set goals that way that are more realistic.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

jeanie-copy.jpg

If i can look like that when i hit 40 then i will be one very happy bunny. I would sooner aim to look like u do then the likes of Kate moss. You look amazeballs, well done xxx
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Google the n00dz (tasteful, nothing showing) and you'll see that she looks fine. She's just barely underweight. BMI is crap. I'm an inch taller and a pound lighter than her and perfectly healthy.