Abercrombie & Fitch's CEO apologises...

Options
myofibril
myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
for 7 year old comments.

Read all about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/16/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-controversy_n_3286502.html

nb: the comments were 7 years old not about 7 year olds ;)

Replies

• myofibril
    Options
    I want to address some of my comments that have been circulating from a 2006 interview. While I believe this 7 year old, resurrected quote has been taken out of context, I sincerely regret that my choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense. A&F is an aspirational brand that, like most specialty apparel brands, targets its marketing at a particular segment of customers. However, we care about the broader communities in which we operate and are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion. We hire good people who share these values. We are completely opposed to any discrimination, bullying, derogatory characterizations or other anti-social behavior based on race, gender, body type or other individual characteristics.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't shop there. That's because I'm not their demographic. And they have every right to choose their demographic. Now, discriminating against employees that aren't within their demographic... that is not acceptable!
  • myofibril
    Options
    Now, discriminating against employees that aren't within their demographic... that is not acceptable!

Yes, you're right and I wonder how much of this is genuine "remorse" or a quickly drafted statement by their legal department to cover potential litigation.

Their clothes are still crap though in my opinion...

But then again, I'm not 12.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Now, discriminating against employees that aren't within their demographic... that is not acceptable!

Yes, you're right and I wonder how much of this is genuine "remorse" or a quickly drafted statement by their legal department to cover potential litigation.

Exactly. I kind of do not understand the uproar behind this. I think people just don't have an understanding of how business works, in general.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Exactly. I kind of do not understand the uproar behind this. I think people just don't have an understanding of how business works, in general.

There is a segment of the population, very well represented on MFP, that seems to take pleasure in being offended and cannot seem to accept that not everyone thinks that they are the center of the universe.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

There is a segment of the population, very well represented on MFP, that seems to take pleasure in being offended and cannot seem to accept that not everyone thinks that they are the center of the universe.

the must be from Toronto.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Meh.

If you're going to say something, or believe in something, then own it. He was in every right to operate his business like that...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh. Still won't shop there nor will I let my child when she is in the demographic. Regardless of their image they are still overpriced cheaply made clothing.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I don't know why he felt he had to apologize. His customer base won't stop shopping there because of his comments.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I was always told to 'Keep your words tender and sweet. Someday you may have to eat them." Sound advice. Being polite counts, especially in business.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Amen... I think I have one wind breaker that is over 10 years old.... the last time I went into one of their stores they had nothing that would fit me... AND no colors that I would consider wearing even if they did...LOL
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options

the must be from Toronto.

YUP... or on a higher Plain of Spiritual Self ritchousness...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't shop there. That's because I'm not their demographic.

Me too. Unless I find it at Costco for 1/4 of the price, no reason to throw good money at, at best, average clothes.
  • myofibril
    Options
    I was always told to 'Keep your words tender and sweet. Someday you may have to eat them." Sound advice. Being polite counts, especially in business.

This is very, very true.

I do not understand this increasingly prevalent idea that shooting your mouth off, being overly brash, familiar or arrogant is somehow a good idea in business. It's self indulgent nonsense probably due to ridiculous portrayal of what goes on in business in TV shows.

Try being professional. You will probably get much further....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

This is very, very true.

I do not understand this increasingly prevalent idea that shooting your mouth off, being overly brash, familiar or arrogant is somehow a good idea in business. It's self indulgent nonsense probably due to ridiculous portrayal of what goes on in business in TV shows.

Well media sensationalizes things like they have never happened before. I mean honestly, when they ask the Chik-fil-A CEO about his personal feelings on gay-marriage, they knew they would get a controversial answer. It is a Christian-based company that doesn't even open on Sundays. It was a trap to make him say something just to put in the news.

Honestly, capitalism allows companies to discriminate against any demographic they want. Most companies have limited resources and have to focus only on one demographic. The only time I am concerned is if a company discriminates against employees because then they are breaking the law.

Everything else is just noise.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Amen... I think I have one wind breaker that is over 10 years old.... the last time I went into one of their stores they had nothing that would fit me... AND no colors that I would consider wearing even if they did...LOL

How can you have a wind breaker that is 10 years old from there? You must never wear it. Every piece of clothing I ever bought from A&F fell apart after wearing a couple of times. Garbage.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

This is very, very true.

Well media sensationalizes things like they have never happened before. I mean honestly, when they ask the Chik-fil-A CEO about his personal feelings on gay-marriage, they knew they would get a controversial answer. It is a Christian-based company that doesn't even open on Sundays. It was a trap to make him say something just to put in the news.

Honestly, capitalism allows companies to discriminate against any demographic they want. Most companies have limited resources and have to focus only on one demographic. The only time I am concerned is if a company discriminates against employees because then they are breaking the law.

Everything else is just noise.
    Stop it, you! Forums aren't for logic! They're for needlessly arguing stupid points with no base and never backing down.
    loudnoises.jpg
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

^^^^This.

Political Correctness is just another means of bullying & oppression. Its adherents are shallow and pretentious. To those who are reading this and subscribe to PC, please know how little I regard you. LOL
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

LOL Love it.

Also: Be careful of the toes you step on on your way up, cuz they are connected to rear ends that you will have to kiss on your way down.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OH, well okay then. Everybody knows that in 7 years all our molecules change and we are now a completely different person. #forgiven #science.