New Rules of Lifting for Women????

Options
2»

Replies

• lucyhemming31
    Options
    WOW..NROLW really is as popular as I thought!!! I will definately buy the book and get started. I may have to wait until after my 6 week programme is finished and then change gyms. The gym I am in is ok for machines and such but there is only one very small area for free weights and one weights bench and there is ALWAYS a fella using it - no sooner is one off and then the next ones on!!.

The exercise plan I have at the moment is pretty much half weights and half cardio and with me hating cardio so much I thought a weights based exercise would be more enjoyable for me and therefore easier to stick at.

There is another gym down the road which is reasonable and much bigger so I might have a noisy in there and see if theres more space for free weights - if there is then I'll join up as soon as I finish the 6 week programme I am currently on.

The PT that deviced my exercise plan didnt want me working my glutes too much as they are my largest and strongest muscle and I do want to slim my legs down - does anyone else know if the NROLW would bulk my thighs up? - espesh as I already have legs like a footballers to start with!!! lol

And...just to throw the question out there...would NROLW work the same for someone with a large frame (such as myself), as it does for someone with a petit frame?

Oh..and thanks for all your great responses!!
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • mp1117
    mp1117 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Let me just add, now I'm doing NROLFA. A few weeks ago I was doing one armed rows with 30lb weights. And yes, some meathead did approach me. Asked me if I was trying to get big or toned. I said, I want to get STRONG.

If you are at all confused with how the workouts are, or how to log them in. visit http://werkit.com/programs/nrol4w.

OP, this workout works for any type of woman. :) And feel free to friend me.
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There is a MFP group for this that I have found really helpful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

Definitely check it out if you are going to be doing this workout. There are tons of tips on doing the workouts at home or gym, form etc.
  • lucyhemming31
    Options
    I get my one on one session tomorrow and I am going to ask my instructor to show me how to heavy lift!! I'll add a few heavy lifts into my current routine and see how I get on to start :smile:

I want to be able to do a chin up...that would make my world :happy:
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting this today. However, I'm in phase two of Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. Has anyone else used two programs at once with success? I do Jillian at 0500 and would do my lifting after work around 1800.
  • Kellylicious01
    Options
    I plan on starting this today. However, I'm in phase two of Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. Has anyone else used two programs at once with success? I do Jillian at 0500 and would do my lifting after work around 1800.

I did JM's Body Revolution; completed it in March. Personally I would not do both programs at the same time. Your body needs time to rest and recover. Your body makes more changes during recovery time then during the actual workout.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I also plan on starting this today. My body is already really sore though from spending the entire weekend helping some friends lay a new hardwood floor. :ohwell: I'm planning on doing NROL4W on MWF and c25k on SunTuTh. We'll see how it goes, I guess.
  • ironbutterf1y
    ironbutterf1y Posts: 103
    Options
    Just bought the book.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I do this at home. I have a couple of barbells, a couple sets of adjustable dumbbells, and various weights to put on them. I bought it used on Craigslist. Also my BF had a weight bench with rack that I use.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started NRoLFW on April 30th and just finished A5 today. I love it! I don't have the space to house my own equipement or I'd be all over that so I go to the gym instead. It was initimidating at first but now I feel confident and tend to walk in there as though I own the place! Just remember, we're all behind you!

~ Katia
  • KatiCoufal
    KatiCoufal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Total dumb question here? So sorry in advance, can I use a total body gym weight machine while following the new rules of lifting for women. Im guessing the answer is no but does anyone have advice to do it this way; I do not have free weights.