Can anyone explain why?

Options
Hi all I lost weight last week, went out for curry on Monday night with my dad and I was super good!!! I worked my backside off all day lots of walking and working out burnt at least 900 calories off that day. Had small breakfast and lunch and saved calories for my meal out. I logged everything I ate and drank at meal and was under my goal by 200 calories. (I over estimated foods i.e size portions as had no nutritional values for restaurant)

The next day I weighed the same so I was chuffed, however the day after I had gone up by 1lb and 3/4s.(I weigh daily as motivation yes I know I shouldn't but this works for me).

People on my wall suggested salt (water retention) so been drinking LOTS of water and eating well all week again under goal every day by 50-200 calories per day depending on how hungry I've been. NEVER netting below 1200!!!!

Today same weight so I'm guessing its weight gain as salt water retention should have corrected itself by now!!

WHY have I gained when I haven't over eaten? I weigh everything I eat and log absolutely everything I eat. I do not cheat as no point as only cheating yourself.

Feeling a little disheartened and have even bought new kitchen scales today to make sure accurate.

Replies

• arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You'll have to open your food diary,
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Because scales suck *kitten* at judging our progress and they should all be destroyed. Let's have a mass scale suicide!!!
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options

The next day I weighed the same so I was chuffed, however the day after I had gone up by 1lb and 3/4s.(I weigh daily as motivation yes I know I shouldn't but this works for me).

Are you sure? Maybe this is the only thing you're doing wrong :)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am a friend of hers on my mfp and believe me this girl eats good and works her *kitten* off.
    Anyone that has any advice be great.
    Hang in there Hun :smile:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No one can really give an educated guess without seeing your diary.
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    diary open now
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Some lovely hormone fluctuations?
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher also. But I graph my weight so that I can see the trend. I know that I have peaks and valleys so when my weight goes up for a couple of days I don't stress over it because I know that it will eventually come back down if I'm doing things correctly as far as diet and exercise are concerned. I had a couple of really busy days this week and burned over 2,000 calories aside from my normal daily activities and gained almost 5lbs. No worry. If you are going to weigh daily try tracking the weights so you can see the trend and know that it's not linear.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher also. But I graph my weight so that I can see the trend. I know that I have peaks and valleys so when my weight goes up for a couple of days I don't stress over it because I know that it will eventually come back down if I'm doing things correctly as far as diet and exercise is concerned. I had a couple of really busy days this week and burned over 2,000 calories aside from my normal daily activities and gained almost 5lbs. No worry. If you are going to weigh daily try tracking the weights so you can see the trend and know that it's not linear.

QFT. Graph that data. Day to day fluctuations just don't matter. It's the long term trend that is important.
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Your body could have a swelling reaction to some food that you are slightly allergic to. Single out the foods and try again. Curry kills me. I react every time :angry:
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi all I lost weight last week, went out for curry on Monday night with my dad and I was super good!!! I worked my backside off all day lots of walking and working out burnt at least 900 calories off that day. Had small breakfast and lunch and saved calories for my meal out. I logged everything I ate and drank at meal and was under my goal by 200 calories. (I over estimated foods i.e size portions as had no nutritional values for restaurant)

People on my wall suggested salt (water retention) so been drinking LOTS of water and eating well all week again under goal every day by 50-200 calories per day depending on how hungry I've been. NEVER netting below 1200!!!!

Today same weight so I'm guessing its weight gain as salt water retention should have corrected itself by now!!

WHY have I gained when I haven't over eaten? I weigh everything I eat and log absolutely everything I eat. I do not cheat as no point as only cheating yourself.

Feeling a little disheartened and have even bought new kitchen scales today to make sure accurate.
    1. you joined the site 3 weeks ago... give it some time.
    2. when I eat an extra salty meal I'll be up a couple of pounds for a few days, give it some time and realize the weight isn't fat.
    3. how accurate is your scale? mine only measures to the nearest half pound and if I step off and back on it, i'll occasionally have 1 lb swings.
    4. getting healthy is a long term thing, not something that can be measured in a couple weeks. Keep up your diet in check for a couple of months and you'll notice progress.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Some lovely hormone fluctuations?

TOM may be on his way.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Damn girl, you need some protein in your life. :)
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I second the protein comment!! And as for your weight really you shouldn't stress. I went up three pounds one week and it didn't come back down for two weeks. We are women our bodies fluctuate as long as the general trend is downward you are doing fine. Also, I know you say weighing everyday is motivation but it sounds to me that it is more of a compulsion. I know I personally cannot weight daily because I will get to wrapped up in what the scale says. I now weigh once a week just to track progress and take measurements every so often. You don't have a ton to lose so it will be a slow road. It has taken me 3 months to lose the 17 pounds I have lost. Just be patient :)
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Scales I have are very accurate I made sure they were before I bought them. I try eat protein but never manage to eat my daily goal of it. Any tips on how to boost it would be appreciated!!

I know its a slow process I'm just used to losing something weekly as lost 3 stone on my own before joining mfp. Or at least staying the same and not gaining weight randomly.

I try my hardest every day and put in 100% effort to my exercise and also my food. I always try plan ahead.

Thanks for the comments guys
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Get a protein powder and add to a smoothie or something a couple times a day. 2 scoops of protein powder will give you 40-60 per day. I like Protein Factory's Monster V blend, but there are tons of choices.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    Because scales suck *kitten* at judging our progress and they should all be destroyed. Let's have a mass scale suicide!!!

YES! ^^^
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A mirror and buying new clothing tend to be my ways of seeing progress, amongst the normal observational things. The scale is just a figure to slap on here now and again. :) To give you an idea of recent 'revelations':

I am more slim than my brother now, that has NEVER happened
    I am more slim than one of my best friends, also NEVER happened
    I am able to fit into 36" waist trousers, I can't even remember the last time that was something I could say
    I like my reflection as I walk past windows and mirrors
    I can run up 4 flights of stairs without losing puff

It's certainly not something to rush, it takes time, a lot longer than it does to put weight on! Patience and diligence... :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh daily, I would suggest creating a spreadsheet and graphing your progress with a trendline (or you can log it every day in MFP). Your weight will fluctuate from day to day but over time you will see a trend downward if you're sticking to your program. If you're only netting 1200 calories a day you may not be eating enough - have you calculated your TDEE?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    water weight, and normal daily fluctuations.