The China Study

Options
2»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If Campbell was a meteorologist, the book would be titled "Killing Turkeys Causes Winter"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Working with members who are in remission and a cancer accredited hospital Wellness Center, the China Study isn't considered a very reliable source for our patients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I think the link between cancer and nutrition is obvious :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Elaborate.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    With any medical condition, and any exclusionary diet, please consult your physician to make sure its ok. Never heard of the book, but just be careful is all!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Elaborate.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, please
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to all of you who have taken the trouble to respond to my post; I really appreciate it x
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hm. I think it's odd that you have low thyroid function, yet were told to read The China Study. I haven't read it myself, but I know it's something along the lines of pro-vegan propaganda (this coming from a vegan) based on rural Chinese diets. I'd imagine soy is touted as being the perfection of all food. . . And I didn't know this (because my doctor is nothing short of a drug dealer), but apparently people with low thyroid function should avoid soy. If you're taking medication, soy basically prevents it from working, or something to that effect.

This is true. Soy is bad for thyroid function..unless it's fermented soy products like tempeh and miso.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thank you x
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    it you do the research from reliable sources Soy is not the big bad thyroid monster that seems to be spread on the boards. It may reduce the effectiveness of synthetic thyroid medication if taken close in time. Some people may find thyroid issues when consuming lots of refined soy products. Just because people repeat it often does not make it true or a billion Asian people would have thyroid issues.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    People fail to see that there are many factors, all probability modifiers, plus or minus, and that no food or diet is a "cure" or "prevention" of cancer, or any disease. Likewise, just because a diet does not "cure" or "prevent" cancer, it doesn't mean that diet cant reduce factors of probability. Complicating all studies and plus or minus probabilities are genetic factors, which completely negate the benefits of some or amplify the effects of others...and then the expression of these genetic factors in and of itself is complicated and altered by epigenetic factors. What could work for one person may not for another, and you wont know either way really, even if something "works for you" its not necessarily the element you think it is! So, the best you can do is look at the histories and patterns, and if you do this, which the China Study does, you may come up with some recommendations...but its not to be taken as a bible or a cure or even prevention. A logical approach is more like: "this seems to show a pattern, it may help me, and I'll probably never know whether it does or not, is it worth the sacrifices/costs?". You can insert many different information tidbits/studies/advice in there.
    it you do the research from reliable sources Soy is not the big bad thyroid monster that seems to be spread on the boards. It may reduce the effectiveness of synthetic thyroid medication if taken close in time. Some people may find thyroid issues when consuming lots of refined soy products. Just because people repeat it often does not make it true or a billion Asian people would have thyroid issues.

On the above logic we can also conclude that high fat intake doesn't have anything to do with obesity because people in France eat lots of cheese and butter and flaky pastries and don't get fat like Americans do...its more complicated than that and that statement has many issues, but so does the above "proof" with "Asian people". Yeah, maybe its not AS bad as some make it out to be, but it doesn't mean it has no effect and it certainly can effect some adversely. However its just a probability...modified by other factors...the argument is really how much or little.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've read the China Study book. I thought it was fascinating. Somewhere in there (don't remember where) it talked about the % of animal products in diet as relates to cancer. Cancer is something I'd like to avoid..... I think the threshold for notable impact was somewhere in the 10-15% of calorie range, but I don't remember exactly. I've just cut back the quantity of meat when I cook.

I'm not vegetarian nor do I plan to become so, but I have reduced my animal product consumption significantly. Besides, I love the veggies!
    Looking forward to reading it... appreciate the recommendation to those of you that shared about it!:happy:

EDIT: OP...how about checking your local library for the cookbook to see if it's one that suits you... I can't imagine it not having a number of copies. Also some great cookbooks for Vegans and Vegetarians can be found there as well, that way you can look the books over and if you find one you really think is for you... then you can pick it up at a bookstore. Beats buying it if you're not quite sure it fits you.

Just a thought:happy:
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lots of interesting intelligent posts above, for me personally it would take a lot of evidence to convince me to drop eggs from my diet. The China study I believe only referred to animal products in general but I would be hard pressed to find a study correlating eggs specifically with negative health consequences, when consumed in reasonable quantities. I'd look into that specifically if I were you. Someone mentioned protein powders, hemp seeds are also a good protein source, if your not meeting 30g/day I'd be concerned.