The "Skinny Clothes" Box

Options
So, I am doing this massive overhaul of all of my clothes. My room is stacked to the ceiling with bags, tubs, boxes, etc. of clothes. I have amassed this collection because a gal that works with my mother is always giving her clothes to give to me that she thinks I will like. Well, I hate clutter but, I hate throwing things away. I absolutely hate to waste things, so I always bag up stuff and give to others or to Goodwill, etc.

This brings me to the issue at hand. Once I got past the top layers of clothes, I have discovered my "skinny clothes". These are all of my board shorts I wore while surfing, cute surf tops, my size 8, 10, and 12 jeans and shorts, etc. I have decided to hang on to these. My inner me hangs on to them to remind me of times gone by and all of the fun times I had when I was that size (and that age), but the more realistic me wants to hang on to these clothes as a sort of motivation to work hard everyday and stick with the plan.

I did come across a pair of size 22 shorts that I bought last year. I really needed a pair of shorts at the time due to a heat wave and that was the only size that fit. I tried them on yesterday and was able to pull them with my thumb out and have about 4-5 inches of space. I am now in a size 14 from Old Navy. My goal size is 8 from Old Navy. But, I will be very happy with a size 12.

So my question is, does anyone else hang on to their "skinny clothes" as either a goal or just to remember past times? I just want to know I'm not alone in this. On the good side, I have managed to de-clutter about three giant bags of clothes and I haven't even attacked the hanging closet stuff or the shoes!!!!

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

So my question is, does anyone else hang on to their "skinny clothes" as either a goal or just to remember past times? I just want to know I'm not alone in this. On the good side, I have managed to de-clutter about three giant bags of clothes and I haven't even attacked the hanging closet stuff or the shoes!!!!

I still have my "skinny" clothes. Those are from when I was in high school and about 140 (I'm 25 years old and 158 right now, although I was back at 140 last August). I've recently been debating throwing them away because a lot of those clothes I wouldn't wear even if they did fit- I really don't think I need booty shorts now as a 25 year old middle school teacher! :laugh: :laugh:

So... no, I don't think you're alone in saving skinny clothes :wink:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I had mine.... but when my father sold his house about 2 years ago everything was cleaned out and thrown away.

I can't say I blame him - it had been about 25 years since I lived there :laugh:
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I still have mine.. I had SO many clothes as a teenager.. I had to go through them and throw some away. But I kept the ones that I still like and want to be able to wear again. I WILL be able to wear them again. So, as others pointed out, you're definately not alone! I also like some of my clothes because they do remind me of all the good times with my friends in high school, and the confidence I had then.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I kept some of the more classic and expensive pieces, yes, and as a result, I now have a lovely pair of hardly ever worn grey pinstripe trousers that I fit into again :D

But I did chuck the stuff that would class me as "mutton dressed as lamb". Chuckles.
  • patricepeop
    patricepeop Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I kept all of mine from 10 years ago! My daughters were appalled when I tried them on two weeks ago! They were actually too big! I gave them to Goodwill. One daughter asked why I hadn't given them away before. She really did not understand that I had to be able to fit back in them to get rid of them!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of women's Levi 501 jeans in size 7 that I bought over 30 years ago. (that is probably like a size 4 now) I would love to get back into them so I hold on. They are classic so if I do fit that will be great, if I never do then they are just a great reminder of more innocent days.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. As I'm going through the closet, I'm tossing the "fat" clothes as well. These are the pieces that I bought or my mom bought for me when that is all that I could fit into. Things like big, blousy skirts, super-stretchy sweaters, stretchy knit tops, etc. I just don't want to see those things and be reminded of how bad I had gotten.

And yes, the board shorts remind me of a much more innocent time when my biggest worry in life was if there was any good surf that day!!! I had a great job, money wasn't an issue, bills were paid, I had a great boyfriend, my health was good....life was simple.

And true, some of those cute surf shirts I may never wear in public again, as I am far from 19 years old and they would probably look really silly on a 30 year old, but I just want to be able to put them on again one more time, close my eyes, and remember the happier times.

Thanks for the support guys!!!!