"Fried" mozzarella sticks

Options
kristie874
kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
Okay, so a co-worker of mine was eating those deliciously BAD for you fried mozzarella sticks the other day and it got me craving them SO bad! I decided I'd try to make my own and see how they turned out. They were great! I had them with my spaghetti squash with marinara and just dunked them in the sauce from that. The calories and what not may be a little less than what I've figured out because you don't end up using the whole egg white or all of the bread crumbs.

2 reduced fat string cheese (I used Frigo brand)
1 egg white, beaten
4 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs

Coat each cheese stick in egg white, then in bread crumbs. Coat in egg white again, then press into bread crumbs, firmly pressing as many bread crumbs as you can to each stick. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, until the cheese begins to melt a little.

Calories 165
Carbs 5
Fat 5
Protein 21
Cholesterol 20
Sodium 608
Sugars 1
Fiber 1

Replies

• kristie874
    Options
    Okay, so a co-worker of mine was eating those deliciously BAD for you fried mozzarella sticks the other day and it got me craving them SO bad! I decided I'd try to make my own and see how they turned out. They were great! I had them with my spaghetti squash with marinara and just dunked them in the sauce from that. The calories and what not may be a little less than what I've figured out because you don't end up using the whole egg white or all of the bread crumbs.

2 reduced fat string cheese (I used Frigo brand)
    1 egg white, beaten
    4 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs

Coat each cheese stick in egg white, then in bread crumbs. Coat in egg white again, then press into bread crumbs, firmly pressing as many bread crumbs as you can to each stick. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, until the cheese begins to melt a little.

Calories 165
    Carbs 5
    Fat 5
    Protein 21
    Cholesterol 20
    Sodium 608
    Sugars 1
    Fiber 1
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good - I may have to try those this weekend!!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea!! Thanks!!
    Cannot wait to get home!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    is that per stick? Just trying to figure out what the exact is.
  • kristie874
    Options
    That's for two of them. :smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's much better. Cool thanks kristie! I might have to make these!
  • arubabound
    Options
    great idea...and sound sooo yummy...will be trying these for sure!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    These sound so good right now.
    I'm looking through hungrygirl.com and found a mozzarella sticks recipe:

HG's Fiber-ific Fried Cheese Sticks

Ingredients:
    2 light mozzarella sticks (50-60 calories and 2.5g fat per stick)
    1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
    2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute
    salt, pepper & Italian seasonings; to taste
    Optional: low-fat marinara sauce (for dipping)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor or blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Place crumbs in a small plastic container with a lid. Season crumbs with as much salt, pepper and Italian seasonings as you like. Set aside. Cut cheese sticks in half, so that you have 4 sticks. Place sticks in a small bowl, and pour egg substitute over the top of the sticks. Swirl egg substitute around so that it thoroughly coats the sticks. One by one, transfer sticks to the container with the crumbs. Cover container, and give it a shake to coat the sticks in the crumbs. Carefully return sticks to the dish with the egg substitute, and coat them again. Next put sticks back in the crumbs container, cover, and shake once more to coat (try doing this two at a time the second time around). Place sticks on a baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Spritz the tops of the sticks with a quick mist of the spray. Place dish in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes (or until the first sign of cheese oozing out). If desired, serve with warm marinara sauce. Best when eaten immediately, while cheese is hot and gooey!

Serving Size: 4 pieces
    Calories: 155
    Fat: 5.5g
    Sodium: 500mg
    Carbs: 13.5g
    Fiber: 7g
    Sugars: 0g
    Protein: 19g

*3 Points!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1156
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I can't remember which so I saw it on, but she double dipped chicken to make it extra crispy. I wonder if that would work for mozzeralla sticks too.

I'm going to have to get bread crumbs so I can make them - I love them!
  • arolsma
    arolsma Posts: 15
    Options
    thanks. my daughter loves cheese sticks. this sounds alot healthier.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    you know what..

just had a flash, what if you did the same to onion and make onion rings ??
    i was craving those the other day ...
    humm.. i'll try that either today or tomorow and let you guys know !!!!!!!!
    may
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
  • blueberrybox
    Options
    wow this is a great idea!