New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
Hello everyone. I just bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women book & I am looking for people who are currently doing this program or have already done it. What were your results? I am 5'6" & within a weight range of 123-126 (fluctuates). I am currently doing insanity & am seeing myself lose inches on my waist & hips but I am not seeing my love handles whittle away & my belly jiggles & i really want to tone it up & shrink those love handles. It seems no matter what I do, they won't budge & I've been told lifting will help! Plus I want to get stronger & develop a strong core (to help with my scoliosis back pain). How high of weights will I need with this program? My highest weights right now are 8 & I do a 15 min full body workout I found on youtube with these 8 pounders. I am going to look at our indoor flea market & garage sales for higher weights bc I am on a limited budget. Any information you have would be super helpful. As much information as you can please plus results. Thanks soo much!!

Replies

• clairemarie1016
    clairemarie1016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do NROLFW at home. I bought 2 adjustable dumbbells off of craigslist for about $200 to use for the heavy lifting and a Swiss ball on Amazon for about $20. I already had a step from a The FIRM kit I got years ago. You can modify the moves to accomplish all of them with dumbbells but you'll need some heavy ones. I use the Bowflex SelectTech ones (http://preview.tinyurl.com/a8ugp6w).

I have not lost "weight" on this program. However, I have lost about 1-2% of body fat based on what my Omron body fat monitor says. It's a slow program (about 6 months) so I expect my results will come slowly. However, I have been eating around 1800 - 2200 calories a day and losing fat (before lifting I was eating 1200 calories with NO results). To me the increase in my quality of life is enough to make lifting a permanent part of my workout routine.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do NROLFW at home. I bought 2 adjustable dumbbells off of craigslist for about $200 to use for the heavy lifting and a Swiss ball on Amazon for about $20. I already had a step from a The FIRM kit I got years ago. You can modify the moves to accomplish all of them with dumbbells but you'll need some heavy ones. I use the Bowflex SelectTech ones (http://preview.tinyurl.com/a8ugp6w).

I have not lost "weight" on this program. However, I have lost about 1-2% of body fat based on what my Omron body fat monitor says. It's a slow program (about 6 months) so I expect my results will come slowly. However, I have been eating around 1800 - 2200 calories a day and losing fat (before lifting I was eating 1200 calories with NO results). To me the increase in my quality of life is enough to make lifting a permanent part of my workout routine.

^ thank you. i work out for at least an hour 5-6 days a week & am already eating at 1750 calories (TDEE). However, I am skinny fat & am looking to lose fat & inches on my hips & waist while toning up everywhere, gaining muscle, & getting strong.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    then that's your program. I completed stage one and I'm on to stage two..noticeable changes.

I did double up my workouts though to get through Stage one faster but they're really short.

They are much longer in Stage 2

I am really liking it

I've lost 3 pounds but inches all over and fat is going away
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Just bought the book yesterday and looking forward to this!
  • danagolding
    danagolding Posts: 49
    Options
    Bump
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

GREAT to know. I have been on 1200/day and have lost a lot, but now need to tone up. I just started lifting/NROLFW and am loving is so far. Hit the bench press with the big boys for the 1st time today - felt great! :)
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Im confused about the workouts LOL! I want to start Stage 1 I guess I need to read it again to understand it.. ex Squats Stage I will do 1 rep @15, then next @ 12 etc... total of 4 sets? then there are workout 1,3 What does that mean? I don't have the book in front of me so Im guessing as I write this if someone could explain it would be great!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is an active group of women doing this program with lots of info and support here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i just started this program this week. Today I did my 3rd workout and I love it!! Right now my body hurts, but as the song goes, it hursts so good!!

Join the NROL4W Forum. There are lots of ladies who have been doing the program for a long time and a lot of newbies asking questions. Lots of help and support too. If anyone wants to add me as a friend, I'd love to support.

As for Fabnover's question, the workouts go like this:

Stage 1 has 2 workouts (A & B). You alternate them and do each one 8 times for a total of 16 workouts. They are referred to as A1, B1, A2, B2, A3....etc.

Each workout has the same exercises for the entire stage. The only part that changes is the number of sets & reps (and hopefully the weight you use as you progress).

Workout 1 & 2 you would do 2 sets 15 reps. Then workouts 3 & 4 you would do 2 sets 10 reps. Then workouts 5 & 6 you would do 3 sets 10 reps. And workouts 7 & 8 you do 3 sets 8 reps. It is designed so you will progressivly increase the weights you use as you do less reps. The only exception is pronejackknifes & ball crunches where you do more reps).

Does that clarify things?? If anyone wants a chart to help them out with their workouts and to keep track of numbers I can email them. I have made pocket sized charts individual charts and a large comparison chart.

Good luck!!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Options
    i just started this program this week. Today I did my 3rd workout and I love it!! Right now my body hurts, but as the song goes, it hursts so good!!

Join the NROL4W Forum. There are lots of ladies who have been doing the program for a long time and a lot of newbies asking questions. Lots of help and support too. If anyone wants to add me as a friend, I'd love to support.

Stage 1 has 2 workouts (A & B). You alternate them and do each one 8 times for a total of 16 workouts. They are referred to as A1, B1, A2, B2, A3....etc.

Each workout has the same exercises for the entire stage. The only part that changes is the number of sets & reps (and hopefully the weight you use as you progress).

Workout 1 & 2 you would do 2 sets 15 reps. Then workouts 3 & 4 you would do 2 sets 10 reps. Then workouts 5 & 6 you would do 3 sets 10 reps. And workouts 7 & 8 you do 3 sets 8 reps. It is designed so you will progressivly increase the weights you use as you do less reps. The only exception is pronejackknifes & ball crunches where you do more reps).

Does that clarify things?? If anyone wants a chart to help them out with their workouts and to keep track of numbers I can email them. I have made pocket sized charts individual charts and a large comparison chart.

Good luck!!

I think so! LOL! I will def join the forum! To me its very confusing because Im used to do the standard 3 sets of reps 12, 10, 8... and increasing weight as I feel I need to but I seems like I will be doing 4 sets right?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

I think so! LOL! I will def join the forum! To me its very confusing because Im used to do the standard 3 sets of reps 12, 10, 8... and increasing weight as I feel I need to but I seems like I will be doing 4 sets right?

No, your first 8 workouts you would be doing 2 sets. Then your next 8 workouts you would be doing 3 sets. Your Reps will decrease after every 4 workouts. Your weights will increase as you are able.
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A1, B1, A2 & B2: 2 sets 15 reps each

A3, B3, A4, B4: 2 sets 12 reps each

A5, B5, A6, B6: 3 sets 10 reps each

A7, B7, A8, B8: 3 sets 8 reps each

Does taht make it a little clearer?
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Options
    A1, B1, A2 & B2: 2 sets 15 reps each

A3, B3, A4, B4: 2 sets 12 reps each

A5, B5, A6, B6: 3 sets 10 reps each

A7, B7, A8, B8: 3 sets 8 reps each

Does taht make it a little clearer?

ah ha YES!!!! thank you sooo much!!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I know you will LOVE the Workout AND the MFP Team, too!!