Backpack with weights

Options
Hello all, my question is for those of us doing weights or training. I just want to know if I could damage myself doing this.

I don't like the gym, I don't run or jog due to breaking my foot years ago.

But for 3 months I`ve been walking about 3-5 miles per day, just recently I noticed that walking was getting to easy and started jogging but my foot cannot take it so I walk as quickly as I can, I often wear a backpack to work as I bring home shopping after.

Today I put 5KG of weights in my backpack and with shopping the the weight was about 12KG when I got home I felt good. The weight didn't bother me and there was no pain in my foot or back.

So I plan to put 10KG of weights into my packpack for the next week, could this have any health implications or could I damage myself doing this. Also what muscles will I be working doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When I was training for a hunt that involved a lot of hiking in the mountains, I "trained" by putting weights in my back pack. The only thing I can think of to watch for is make sure your pack fits you and distributes the weight nicely. That is a HUGE factor for comfort, and probably to some extent for injury prevention.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I read up on this and talked with some people. Like rybo said, distribution is pretty important. I ended up just buying a weighted vest that distributes the weight pretty evenly. As you add more weight to your back, you'd ideally want to counter-balance it with some (not necessarily an equal amount) weight in the front. The other thing to watch out for is its effect on your shoulders - the pull on the shoulders with a heavy load could possibly do some harm.

Good luck and safe travels!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I know that the weighted backpack works for some people but for me it would destroy my back. I have a weighted vest and you can add weight to front and back and keep it balanced. Even then I at times felt a strain on my back. Whatever you do proceed with some caution as back injuries SUCK and can become chronic.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to start out slow or light as it is and make sure you have a backpack designed to disperse loads (hiking pack) so it won't wreck your back and don't just throw dumbbells in there. Experiment with packs filled with blankets and baggies of sand tucked throughout. Slowly increase the weight always being very mindful of how your back feel during, right after and the next day. If you notice any soreness after the initial phase (the kind you normally get after starting a new routine), then it's not for you. I've done this in the past and haven't had any issues but a friend of mine could not.
  • davidparkes739
    Options
    Thank you all. I didn't even know about weight vests, the one I would want is out of my price range at the moment but I will be saving up for it as I suspect I will want it in about 4 months if I can keep up with what I'm doing.

The backpack I`ve got is well fitted to me and doesn't give me any issues, the weights are well distributed and padded so not to move about.

I injured my back in my 20`s so I`m very careful. It`s funny but for a few weeks now I`ve wanted to take a jog along the canal by my house but my foot just couldn't take it. I`m hoping that by carry this weight I can strengthen my legs and maybe in a few months start jogging.

Just wondering what muscle groups will this be helping.

thanks again