Breaking in new running shoes

Options
About how long does it take for them to "break" in? I just got some Asics today and I love them, they're just so new, and I want to get running in them right away! but I dont want to hut my feet haha.
Right now Im just wearing them around the house.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Proper fitting shoes don't need to be broken in.
    Improper fitting does may, but they may also never feel great.

So the answer is, as usual, it depends.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    See, I have a very wide foot, and I had to compromise, my "normal" shoe size (chucks, high heels, ect. Is a 9 1/2-10) but, they didnt have half sizes. and the one that fit me perfectly by the width of my foot was WAY too long. so I kept the size down and figured Id be able to "break" them in just a little bit.
  • blackstar420
    blackstar420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No need to break them in... Just run in them... if they don't hurt your feet or cause issue... run farther and consider them broken in...
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Agreed. I just recently got a pair of Saucony shoes properly fitted (which involved them teaching me a better lacing technique to keep my heels from slipping) at a local specialty store and have run a few times in them from 5k to 7mi on each run. They were perfect from the start.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if a running shoe has to be broken in, it's not the right shoe for me.

The right running shoes feel great from mile 1.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What everyone else is saying. A properly fitted running shoe doesn't need breaking in.

If these require you squeezing into them, they're the wrong brand/size/model.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    See, I have a very wide foot, and I had to compromise, my "normal" shoe size (chucks, high heels, ect. Is a 9 1/2-10) but, they didnt have half sizes. and the one that fit me perfectly by the width of my foot was WAY too long. so I kept the size down and figured Id be able to "break" them in just a little bit.

So you got shoes that don't fit properly. In that case, it's a crap shoot... no way to know how long or if they'll break in enough for you.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the right shoes, whether running walking or whatever should never need to be "broken in"
    blisters sores and pain is from shoes not fitting properly.

For example, i know lots of runners and others swear by Nike, but Nike are cut too narrow to fit my food, and the limited wide widths, arent much better, so lately i have been buying kswiss- tubes, and they fit from the first moment i put them on , to two weeks later at my 5k..
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I only consider a "breaking in period" when I'm switching shoes completely. And really, it's just to see how my feet feel in them. If they hurt after more than 2 short runs, they go back and I exchange them. So, it's not so much breaking the shoe in as it is testing them out in the real world and making sure it's a good match. I ran my last half marathon in a shoe that I'd only worn for 1 four mile run a few days before the race. It was just a newer shoe of what I was already running in. . .no adjustment required.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Shouldn't have to be broken in. The best piece of advice I received and finally took was to go to a specialty running shoe store and got fitted for a pair. Best $109 I spent!!
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    How uncomfortable are the shoes right now? As in, do they make your feet uncomfortable after 10 minutes casually wandering around the house, are you just worried about possible blisters from pushing too hard for too long? If it's the first option, you might be out of luck. If you're just being very cautious about basic blisters, try them out for a mile run and see how they feel. Good luck!
  • julsdolphin
    julsdolphin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did you get your shoes at a running store? They will properly fit you and you shouldn't need a breaking in period at all.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    After I ran in them, they were just fine! I guess I just wasn't used to the fit of them. I usually only wear chuck taylors, so I guess I was expecting a fit like them? but now, they fit perfectly, thank you guys for the input though! I appreciate it!
  • ericbenjamin59
    ericbenjamin59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walk Around
    When you get that new pair of running shoes, do not immediately start to run in them. Walk around the house for a few days in them and wear the shoes when running errands around town. Wear them to work if you're allowed. This will also provide a good snapshot of how your new running shoes fit. If the new running shoes do not feel right when walking around, they definitely will not work for you during a run.

Phase Them in
    Now that you have worn them around the house for a few days and they feel good, you need to actually start running in the shoes. Phase the new shoes into your running routine gradually. For instance if you typically run five days a week, use the new shoes for only a day or two for the first two weeks. Then, gradually increase their use until the new running shoes are used for every single run. This gives you a chance to make a real life comparison between the old shoe and the new shoe. If there is any noticeable change in foot discomfort during this phasing in, you may need a different pair of shoes.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Yes you right but there are some more reasons like your shoe will also break due to its quality.