What do you do?

Options
6550mom
6550mom Posts: 206 Member
A friend is posting her great success of losing 7 pounds in 4 days on a juice fast. I gently reminded her that a 24,500 calorie deficit (over 6000 per day) wasn't likely happening and resulting in fat loss, that most of it will be water and most will show up again on the scale. I also mentioned that if the body gets used to very low calories for a long time, it may actually start to store even more fat when she does start eating again.

This is someone I really like and I hate to think of her being disappointed and thinking something is wrong when the pounds reappear. Also, a lot of people were 'inspired' by this 'success' and also think it's a great thing.

I debated for a long time about whether to say something or not. I almost didn't, but figured that giving 'true' info could only be kind.

So, what do you do when you see something like this on FB? Does it depend who posts the stuff (whether you care about them or not)? Do you ignore it and figure they will find out the hard way? Do you worry that they will be angry or annoyed at you for bursting their bubble? Or just figure it's none of your business and stay out of it.

I usually just ignore and don't say anything, but sometimes, I feel more compelled to help dispel myths that can affect someone's health or long-tem success...

Just curious-

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ignore her and snicker inside when she gains those 7 lbs back in the matter of the next week or two.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I ignore them..
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I just keep being awesome.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If people are asking for advice, I give it. Otherwise, I don't say anything. She's thrilled that she's lost 7 lbs. Nothing you say right now is going to change her mindset. Sometimes people need to see what actually happens.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've tried reaching out to people to help them, and correct their misunderstandings, but most people don't take a liking to that because they are convinced they are correct. So I don't reach out anymore. I've had people on FB (and here) see my success and they have messaged me asking for advice, which I give. I love helping people, but I refuse to go out of my way anymore. There is no way I can prevent everyone I know from starting a "fad" diet. I just let them do what they want, and when the pound reappear, if they ask for help, I gently explain. :)
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: That was very nice of you, your post may help somebody. However, I've learned the hard way to never give advice to grown folks unless asked.:embarassed:
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think from now on, I'll leave it alone. You are all right. Regardless of good intentions, people probably don't want to hear it. Oh well. I kinda thought that but posted anyway, LOL. No more.

Now people are telling her that when she sees the weight gain back, it will be from her new muscle from her workouts.

I will NOT point out that she is on a calorie deficit and ingesting NO protein so there this is not muscle growth.... I will NOT.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think from now on, I'll leave it alone. You are all right. Regardless of good intentions, people probably don't want to hear it. Oh well. I kinda thought that but posted anyway, LOL. No more.

Now people are telling her that when she sees the weight gain back, it will be from her new muscle from her workouts.

I will NOT point out that she is on a calorie deficit and ingesting NO protein so there this is not muscle growth.... I will NOT.

Good for you! :)
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just smile and nod!