OHP question for the lifting gurus

Options
ItsCasey
ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
I am currently doing OHPs in some form 3 times per week:

- double kettlebells @ 16 kg X 2/70 lbs (sets of 5 or 6)
- standing military in a barbell complex @ 65 lbs (5 rounds, 5 OHP reps per)
- standing military in a reverse pyramid set-up, currently with my highest working set being 85 to 90 lbs.

The reason for so much OHP is because it's pretty much the only pushing movement I do (I prefer it to benching, but I could get over myself if necessary), and it fits in pretty seamlessly with my complexes.

Now for the question: if I am not specifically trying to grow my shoulders (and I'm not; they're sweet enough for me already), is this overkill, and if so, which should I get rid of? I'm leaning towards the kettlebells because 16 kg is currently the heaviest pair I have, so I can't really progress with doubles, although I have a 20 kg and could work on doing singles with that. Or I could start benching.

What do you kind folks think?

Replies

• PRock
    PRock Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeh seems a little too much IMO, Standing Military should be enough for overhead development. ID say just that and Bench Press is enough to cover all bases.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The kettlebells, IMO, are good for a different range of motion than barbell work. I would add in bench press, though. You will still be working shoulder but will now be targeting the chest.

ETA: I'd keep the barbell OHP and maybe some of the kettlebells for ROM and add in bench.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your goal is to build strength and not size. If this is the case I would stick with the standing OHP and try to start with incorporating some bench presses. Strength sets and not hyper throphy sets. Many people do not realize that the shoulders play a great deal in the bench press movement and benching will help to develop the shoulders.

IMO if you are looking to grow then the kettle bells / dumbbells would be more my choice. Lower weight / higher reps. If you are looking for strength then stick with the barbell. Higher weight / lower reps.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bump to read responses.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Keep the standing OH press...if you want a little extra work and range or motion keep the kettle bells or do barbells...but I'd definitely throw in some bench, you're neglecting your chest.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    would like to read all the awesome replies.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I love pressing overhead, but if that's the only pressing movement you're doing I think you'd be better off with Incline Press.
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    Bump
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    In my experience, overhead press work is best done with low volume and high intensity. It also requires a lot of training efficiency. In other words, only do the exercises that give you a lot of bang for your buck *clearsthroatfcukkettlebellsclearsthroat* so stick with heavy barbell presses once a week and some incline and close grip benching.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

- standing military in a reverse pyramid set-up, currently with my highest working set being 85 to 90 lbs.

The reason for so much OHP is because it's pretty much the only pushing movement I do (I prefer it to benching, but I could get over myself if necessary), and it fits in pretty seamlessly with my complexes.

Now for the question: if I am not specifically trying to grow my shoulders (and I'm not; they're sweet enough for me already), is this overkill, and if so, which should I get rid of? I'm leaning towards the kettlebells because 16 kg is currently the heaviest pair I have, so I can't really progress with doubles, although I have a 20 kg and could work on doing singles with that. Or I could start benching.

Since you state that you are not trying to grow your shoulders, what are you trying to do?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ideally, maybe once a week and do some heavy OHP work with a barbell and just work to a 3 or 5 RM each session. Then maybe after that do some DB/KB work pressing for 2 sets of 15+ reps, basically max-out on reps. If you can do 25 reps pick a heavier.

If you like complexes then this might be fun for you to do if you do shoulders once per week.

a1 - Push Press @ 85% of OHP 1RM for 2-3 reps
    a2 - OHP @ 70% of 1RM for 4-6 reps
    a3 - DB/KB OHP - 8-10 reps
    a3 - Lat Raises 10 -12 reps

Repeat for 4 to 6 circuits.
  • ItsCasey
    Options

Since you state that you are not trying to grow your shoulders, what are you trying to do?

My overall goal is fat loss, but with specific regard to my upper body, I'm just aiming for strength gains. I do a lot of heavy hip hinge and squat pattern lifting, a decent amount of pulling, and barbell and kettlebell complexes for cardio, but I feel like my pushing game is pretty weak, probably because I have been pretty stubborn about sticking to the vertical stuff and have neglected horizontal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    With fat loss being your goal, I assume you're eating at a deficit? That will prevent any significant gains, so I wouldn't worry so much about overdeveloping your shoulders.

If that's the only push movement you're doing, I'd worry more about imbalances and such. Is there a reason you don't like to bench? Also, what about dips? Weighted dips are probably my favorite push.

Do I think it's overkill? No, not so much. Do I think your routine is missing something? Yep.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    I guess it's not that I dislike benching, I just got tired of adding things and felt like I needed to make some either/or decisions, based on lack of time and inability to focus. But looking back over my training logs, I realized that all of my pushing for the past month was overhead, and I figured that was maybe not the most productive use of my time.

I am eating at a deficit (TDEE-15%), and I am losing weight right on target at about 1/2 lb. per week, so, realistically, I know my shoulders aren't going to get huge, and it's probably decreases elsewhere that make them look bigger to my chick brain. I'll start measuring them. I typically just measure waist, hips, and thighs, and those are all going in the right direction.

I have a pull-up/dip tower, so I will give the dips a try. And I guess my bench will get used for something other than hip thrusts next week.

Thanks, gentlemen!