This just isn't the same.

Options
2»

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Crap, if you want some lower calorie pasta, try the fiber gourmet stuff. It's delicious. Spaghetti squash tastes like moist veggies because that's exactly what it is.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like it enough to eat it, but I definitely prefer angel hair pasta. It's okay though. Kind of a lot of work to prepare. I mostly make it as a way to get my daughter to eat a vegetable.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. It's a vegetable, not pasta LOL.

If you're giving up wheat, try brown rice pasta. I think it's a pretty good substitute. If you're just trying to cut calories, try http://www.fibergourmet.com.. You won't be able to tell the difference between this and regular pasta. Or just do whole wheat pasta and add lots of good veggies.
  • whitterbugkru
    Options
    Ick, no. I cannot do that recipe, I hate spaghetti squash, it is nothing like real spaghetti. I would go with whole wheat angel hair pasta and pasta sauce and just watch the calories. Not worth it to save some on something disgusting, tbh,
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

You're not eating regular spaghetti pasta.

I love spaghetti squash, but it is it's own thing...I don't really think of it as a substitute. Just eat regular spaghetti and fit it in...there's isn't anything inherently wrong with pasta, I eat it regularly.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You could try miracle noodles or we have smart pasta here in Australia which is like 10 calories a serve not sure if you guys have it there but if you have that or something similar that's also an option. Or else as others have said have one portion of real pasta. If its not enough add a salad or vegetables to your meal to fill you up
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Bah just have whole grain spaghetti. Why do you want to stop eating pasta?
    THIS. Substituting something for a "healthier" option should come with the expectation that it's NOT going to be the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

To be honest...I hate all pasta. Not that it is bad, I just don't eat much starches at all.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Bah just have whole grain spaghetti. Why do you want to stop eating pasta?
    THIS. Substituting something for a "healthier" option should come with the expectation that it's NOT going to be the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

To be honest...I hate all pasta. Not that it is bad, I just don't eat much starches at all.

If you hate pasta, then why the heck are you mad spaghetti squash doesn't taste like pasta?
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    You are so right....why am I doing this? The reason I have tried this is that I am hoping to add some healthy foods to my family's diets.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    *channels Alton brown*

With cooking in odd ways, you can use science to get to where you want to go. To take so.e of the moisture out, and hit the consistentcy that you want and the right texture, cook it twice. After cooking it once and shredding it, put it in your chill chest to suck the moisture clean out of it, maybe an hour or two, and then you can bring it up to temperature any way you like, oven, in a pan with a touch of olive oil.

Thanks for sharing this. Alton is my husband's favorite chief. It is the science part that he loves. We have several of his cookbooks. I don't use them because I find all the extra (sciencific) information iratating.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    huh. Am I the only one who likes it? I think it's awesome with a chunky homemade tomato sauce and lots of garlic. Did you roast it long enough? the "alton brown" post cooking tips will help too.