Fad Diets - help to stay away!

Options
I am just curious how many of you still feel or used to feel the need to jump on the bandwagon of a new fad? I am slowly losing my weight ( started before I joined MFP with a trainer - down 28 lbs total) with healthy eating and proper exercise. I am trying my best to stay away from trying a new diet plan ( i.e. asylum , or paleo or vegetarian) I know that changing into one of those diet plans or lifestyles would assist my weight loss speed, but I know it's not a life style I want.

I had a friend yesterday start her FIRST ever workout day with the Insanity workouts, she preached at me all day about how I should be eating this or that. ( She herself has never been active, only completed the fit test and is in need of droping some weight that shes put on at a fast rate) so she isn't a credible fitness or nutrition expert. But I found myself thinking " oh is this a quick fix.. should I do this?"

How do you all keep on track with the process and not jump on a bandwagon?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Every plan that works involves knowing how much you are eating, eating just enough but not too much, and getting some moderate exercise.

This site is a tool to help you do that - the methods you use are individually interpreted and are as varied as people themselves.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just log what I eat and try to eat a well balance diet with room for things like beer, ice cream, and pizza.

No one wants to be that guy at the dinner party saying 'Sorry I can't eat that' and then proceeding to stick his knows up the air while talking about his superior diet.

Those people drive me nuts
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Well, vegetarians and paleo followers don't do it necessarily for the weight loss aspect, but instead it's a food philosophy they believe in, for different reasons. So those two, plus vegan etc I wouldn't label as fad diets or even a diet at all-it's a way of life that goes beyond food. Haven't heard of asylum-off to google :)

Now, I lost all my weight doing intermittent fasting (IF), which is an unconventional method and could be labeled a fad diet, since it's starting to get main stream awareness (Dr. Michael Mosley's new book, The Fast Diet, has brought it a lot of media attention to IF lately). However, there's a lot of research being done on the long term health benefits of IF, and it's definitely something that has merit, beyond the weight loss aspect of it (though that's a plus too :) ).

And now that I'm in maintenance I've decided to switch to primal eating (a variation of paleo), along with IF. Not for the weight loss aspect of it, though I have lost weight, but because I believe there's health benefits of eating this way. But, I definitely understand why this way of eating would not appeal to everyone :)

There is no one perfect plan for everyone- people have success with all kinds of plans and what doesn't work for you or me, may work for someone else. If someone has success with a plan, fad diet or not, I say good for them :)
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good Views people! I really enjoy being able to eat food and tracking it. I do have a plan and it seems to work. I was using IF as well.. didnt do anything for me. However, I have really low blood sugar already so it didnt help me much.

I just cannot handle listening to one more person saying Try this try that and then being intrigued by it and fighting off the urge to do it..lol

The biggest battle of this all is knowing what you are doing is working for you.. and sometimes thats the hardest mind game to play
  • 58ttom
    58ttom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I believe if a person wants to be healthy, fit and trim, they must have a lifestyle that is healthy. I firmly believe that all those diets with their pills and supplements are simply a way for somebody to make money off of people who want to get fit. These people who want to get fit should not waste their money on these diets or their products. They should make a lifestyle change of eating healthy, exercising, and maybe taking a good multivitamin daily. The key is though, do you really want to get healthy and fit? If so, make the commitment to a lifestyle that will make and keep you healthy and fit. The fad diets and supplements aren't necessary.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Good Views people! I really enjoy being able to eat food and tracking it. I do have a plan and it seems to work. I was using IF as well.. didnt do anything for me. However, I have really low blood sugar already so it didnt help me much.

I just cannot handle listening to one more person saying Try this try that and then being intrigued by it and fighting off the urge to do it..lol

The biggest battle of this all is knowing what you are doing is working for you.. and sometimes thats the hardest mind game to play

Yeah, I definitely don't push my way of eating on other people and agree that it's really annoying when others do! I have had several people approach me about what I'm doing and I'm happy to give them some basic info, but otherwise I'm pretty low key about it :)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to fight against the low-carb craze that's happening right now - some people are very passionate about it, and I can sometimes be influenced by it. I remind myself, however, that for me, it would not at all be a sustainable diet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The problem with fad diets is that most people do them to lose weight fast, and it involves following a diet that most people won't be able to stick to. If someone wants to go paleo forever, good for them though... the key is to recognize your limits and be honest with yourself if you won't be able to do it all your life.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Recognize that you are a path to a new LIFESTYLE and not just drop 10 (or whatever number) lbs. A fad diet, or a "quick fix" will not give you enough time to teach yourself how to exercise, maintain a healthy lifestyle and learn about foods. Think about this: Are you willing to continue the aspects of that "fad diet/exercise" routine FOREVER? If you are, then go ahead.

There's no quick fix. There's no 30 days to a bikini-body answer. It took you a long time to put on the weight. It will take time to take it off and develop good habits.

Don't cheat yourself out of the extraordinary experience of choosing to take a new path and succeeding at it. It gives you such self-confidence. That alone is worth more than any quick-fix I can think of.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since October. I love it here. I have been logging and watching what I eat. I have lost a little over 20 pounds here. Pretty much what I gained when I left WW. I have however this week started Paleo at the behest of my Primary Care Physician. He feels this type of diet does wonderful things for diabetics. I have learned from MFP I can do this, so I am trying it for a month and will see how my tests turn out.
  • adenium11
    Options
    A fad diet, or a "quick fix" will not give you enough time to teach yourself how to exercise, maintain a healthy lifestyle and learn about foods. Think about this: Are you willing to continue the aspects of that "fad diet/exercise" routine FOREVER? If you are, then go ahead.

LOVE THIS!! I kind of think I may start saying this to people when they tell me to try this or that. What I dont get is how people notice Ive lost weight.. ask how I do it . When I respond with "eating right and exercise" they then feel free to comment on why dont I try this or that.. People are so bizzare!
  • adenium11
    Options
    I have been on MFP since October. I love it here. I have been logging and watching what I eat. I have lost a little over 20 pounds here. Pretty much what I gained when I left WW. I have however this week started Paleo at the behest of my Primary Care Physician. He feels this type of diet does wonderful things for diabetics. I have learned from MFP I can do this, so I am trying it for a month and will see how my tests turn out.

Good for you!! These are the success stories we all need to focus on! I find some of the success here are so drastic so fast you get caught up in the "how the heck did they do it so fast" I try eat a few paleo meals a week just for health benefits.. But I do like my sweets to much to do it 80/20 however I appreciate the lifestyle and enjoy incorporating some of it!
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, vegetarians and paleo followers don't do it necessarily for the weight loss aspect, but instead it's a food philosophy they believe in, for different reasons. So those two, plus vegan etc I wouldn't label as fad diets or even a diet at all-it's a way of life that goes beyond food. Haven't heard of asylum-off to google :)

Now, I lost all my weight doing intermittent fasting (IF), which is an unconventional method and could be labeled a fad diet, since it's starting to get main stream awareness (Dr. Michael Mosley's new book, The Fast Diet, has brought it a lot of media attention to IF lately). However, there's a lot of research being done on the long term health benefits of IF, and it's definitely something that has merit, beyond the weight loss aspect of it (though that's a plus too :) ).

And now that I'm in maintenance I've decided to switch to primal eating (a variation of paleo), along with IF. Not for the weight loss aspect of it, though I have lost weight, but because I believe there's health benefits of eating this way. But, I definitely understand why this way of eating would not appeal to everyone :)

There is no one perfect plan for everyone- people have success with all kinds of plans and what doesn't work for you or me, may work for someone else. If someone has success with a plan, fad diet or not, I say good for them :)

^^^This

I am pretty much doing the same thing as this person. If you're going to go on a "fad-diet", I would suggest it be something that isn't going to deprive your body of the vitamins and nutrients it needs. Basically, if it seems absurd or too good to be true, it is exactly that. There is no quick fix when it comes to losing weight and bettering your health. Fad diets, otherwise known as yo-yo diets, will only frustrate you.. Sure, you may lose weight, and fast. But you'll gain it right back, maybe even plus some.. It's happened to me before, years ago.

Remember.. Take care of your body and it will take care of you.
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    DIETS ARE TEMPORARY. You are going for a healthy lifestyle overhaul. I'm betting it didn't take you a month to gain the extra weight so it's going to take longer than a month (or two, or three, you get the idea) to lose it. By doing it gradually, you (we) are learning how to manage your health through diet and physical activity. People look at me weird too when they ask how I've lost weight and I tell them, "healthier eating and getting up off my butt." Also, I have found that doctors hear about something on Dr. Oz or see an infomercial then all of a sudden they will promote a particular diet with little to no research. I work in a hospital and have been through quite a few docs that spew off this crap. Anyways, GOOD FOR YOU for committing to better health and good luck!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    fad diets don't work! The best action is just making sure you eat healthy and watch your portion sizes. I have found I have been more successful with just monitoring my portions (I measure out my protein and grains on a scale) and watching how often I indulge in something "special"

Atkins, South Beach, Flat Belly, etc. all have generally the same principles around them but for a lot of people the weight loss isn't sustainable over time when people revert back to their old habits. Personally I follow more of a clean eating style; if it is a food that doesn't agree with me, I don't eat it, I watch the amount of processed foods I eat, try to keep things as simple as possible.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I look at fad diets and ask myself whether or not I could live the rest of my life doing it and considering exactly how miserable it would make me. That's usually enough to drive out the intrigue.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fad diets don't work, end up making you heavier, and cost lots of money.

Any time you're thinking about trying one, just repeat that to yourself.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Who would go on a diet called "asylum".

A diet is still a diet, even if you call it a lifestyle change. It's just that some are sustainable over a lifetime and some are not.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have done so many fad diets, you wouldn't even believe. They do what they are supposed to do if you follow it, which is incredibly difficult. But then here comes the weight because you can't do it always. They piss me off because they give me what I want for a while then wham. I only left them alone a couple years ago. I was the fad diet queen, or maybe I'll say I was a fad diet junkie.